• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2020-21 Sunday River

Smellytele

That was looked at 20 years ago.... Top of Tempest could never handle a detatch.
Imagine what Cascades would be like...
I know the way the terrain is that it really wouldn't be possible but if they could get the top of the lift up to the bottom of T2. Then there would be a lot more downhill options.

2Planker

I know the way the terrain is that it really wouldn't be possible but if they could get the top of the lift up to the bottom of T2. Then there would be a lot more downhill options.
That was also considered by LBO/Burt Mills in 1991, But wasn't really practical due to Grand Junction aka "Cluster Fuck Corner".
Adding a lift unload area there would be a huge mess

xlr8r

A big problem with current Tempest unload is that it is just below Snowbound. The Tempest pod would be better if you get get to Lower Obsession directly from the top terminal.

machski

With the racing T-Bar in place now, IMHO that killed any chance of pulling Tempest Lift further uphill. The T-Bar top terminal already compresses CFC (though I do like how they have it set up). Add to that, MM is normally closed to the public and all an extended Tempest would serve is Cascades (and yes, snowbound). I cannot see the terminal in any other location than it is now.

I once thought a detach would be needed to draw folks back to WC side, but I'm not sold on that now. Shipyard absolutely killed it last year running the WC lodge with there brewpub as always, but the Italian Restaurant, Upper Deck and spring music outside. Add in Last Run Room at the Summit Hotel, WC had more of a crowd than many past seasons. Tempest is suppose to get a carpet, which isn't a huge boost in speed, but helps. Add a shinny new lift with more comfortable chairs, that might be enough.

Aurora does not need a detach, it's only 3100' line length. The current quad whether for real or just seems like it, is seemingly the slowest lift on the hill. It is scheduled for replacement too, hope they carpet load that too. Just don't feel they need to add to detach fleet costs at any other current lifts.

Last edited:

kbroderick

That was also considered by LBO/Burt Mills in 1991, But wasn't really practical due to Grand Junction aka "Cluster Fuck Corner".
Adding a lift unload area there would be a huge mess
And since then, the intersection has been drastically reconfigured to allow for the competition T-bar, making it flow a lot better as long as you're not trying to get from Salvation/Heats Off/T2 across to Punch (which now requires a short but scary hike,)

So most of the time, the only additional terrain you'd be able to access with an extended White Cap Quad would be the top of Cascades and Snowbound/lower Obsession.

Newpylong

I think a HSQ would do OK in that location. Yes the cutover has been lost but there has been the addition of Bear Paw. Also Heats On was widened this off season and added snowmakingroad map. So that's another blue off the top towards the WH chair. So that gives 5 routes off the top. May need to run it slower or less chairs but the quicker ride would get people to utilize it more. I don't think spending money on a carpet is a good ROI. Of course, they are finding more money earlier for capital plans so it may happen even if not on the existing roadmap.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I know this would never happen, but build the Tempest Superchair to the top of Barker (with a mid-station at the current top of Tempest). Make is a HSQ. I think it'd be a 50/50 split of people who would get off where the current Tempest chair terminates and the other half would get off at the top of Barker. You'd be looking at 1200-1300pph getting off at each station... a very reasonable capacity number for both pods.

One can dream right! Otten wanted it!

Hawk

They should run the tempest lift up to a spot to the skiers right of T2 at the bottom of Bimms with a small traverse over to Grand Junction that would get you acces to everything with minimal headache. Plenty of room over there and not that many people coming down Bimms.

kbroderick

They should run the tempest lift up to a spot to the skiers right of T2 at the bottom of Bimms with a small traverse over to Grand Junction that would get you acces to everything with minimal headache. Plenty of room over there and not that many people coming down Bimms.

Not saying that it couldn't happen, but that would create serious headaches as far as reconfiguring the race venue and Grand Junction.

Hawk

I don't know the alignment of the current Tempest lift but assiming they just extend up Cascade to the new top location to the skiers right of T2. That does not affect the race configuration at all. Also the travest over to grand junction does not affect the race configuration eather. I think if the top is placed correctly there is only a small amount of woods they have to go through at the flatest section of T2 at the borrom. Obviously the traverse will be closed on reace days or a crossing guard can be implemented.
Screenshot 2021-10-07 084758.jpg

Smellytele

I don't know the alignment of the current Tempest lift but assiming they just extend up Cascade to the new top location to the skiers right of T2. That does not affect the race configuration at all. Also the travest over to grand junction does not affect the race configuration eather. I think if the top is placed correctly there is only a small amount of woods they have to go through at the flatest section of T2 at the borrom. Obviously the traverse will be closed on reace days or a crossing guard can be implemented.
View attachment 51988
It would need a regrade I believe as I think that traverse is up hill.

Hawk

Nope I ski those woods areas all the time, come out at the bottom of T2 and can make it over to grand junction with ease. What I am saying is bring it up high enoug to make the traverse work.

thebigo

Just got the email:

Opening winter 2022-23, the Jordan 8 is our next milestone in the Sunday River 2030 plan coming to life.

As one of the most advanced chairlifts in the world and the fastest 8-person lift in North America, this Doppelmayr D-Line chairlift will feature eight ergonomically shaped, extra wide heated seats, improved wind resistance, and the world's first bubble in signature Sunday River Red. The Jordan 8 also introduces the exciting concept of what will become the Western Reserve, which includes Jordan Bowl, Oz, and future terrain expansion beyond.

More info - Jordan to replace barker.

BIGGER. BETTER. BOLDER.

The next step in the Sunday River 2030 plan is here. The Jordan 8, coming winter 2022-23, is one of the most advanced chairlifts in in the world, and the fastest 8-person chairlift in North America. A Doppelmayr D-Line design, the lift features ergonomic heated seats, the first weather-blocking bubbles in the world in our signature Sunday River Red, and is built to withstand wind.
The Jordan 8 services terrain on the Oz and Jordan Bowl peaks. This part of Sunday River will come to be known as the Western Reserve as future terrain development plans come to life in the several thousand acres of land beyond Jordan Bowl.
The Jordan 8 is one of three chairlift upgrades to come in the next three years. Sunday River is currently installing a Doppelmayr fixed-grip triple chairlift on Merrill Hill, a new real estate development featuring mountaintop home sites. Merrill Hill’s lift and ski terrain are expected to open for select dates only during the 2021-22 season, with a grand opening scheduled for winter 2022-23. The current Jordan Bowl Express, a high-speed quad, will be redesigned and rebuilt on Barker Mountain to replace the Barker Mountain Express for winter 2023-24.

drjeff

Seems like coming soon to every Boyne property should be what Bubble 8's are known as right now!

Any bets on the old Jordan HSQ being laterally moved over to replace Barker?

thetrailboss

Staff member
And Sugarloafers be like, "gee, can you ensure that our lifts don't fall apart or hurt anyone?"

I think that an 8-seater is more appropriate for Barker personally......

drjeff

Seems like coming soon to every Boyne property should be what Bubble 8's are known as right now!

Any bets on the old Jordan HSQ being laterally moved over to replace Barker?
And based on a Storm Skiing Journal social media post that I just read, the old Jordan HSQ will be the "new" Barker HSQ for the '22-23 season

thebigo

Key quote from the lift blog article.

“The Jordan 8 is a significant jumping off point for the Western Reserve, creating a portal that could double our skiable terrain in the coming decades,” said Dana Bullen, President of Sunday River.