• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2020-21 Sunday River

parahelia

SR doesn't get a lot of commentary here, so thought I'd post an update. With 100 trails open, SR has had a low-key and solid start to the season despite the poor weather and staffing challenges. After reading the Vail thread, I'm definitely not taking the snowmaking efforts for granted.

We skied during the storm on Monday. It snowed, sometimes heavily, through 2:30pm or so. There was a tiny amount of sleet mixed in at the end, but then by precipitation had slowed quite a bit, so it was predominantly a snow event. They claim 11" fell and that sounds about right to me.

It was definitely the best skiing I've had this year thus far. The heavy snow all day long kept things soft and fun, especially on the sides. They had blown snow on Top Gun and Shockwave prior to the snow, Top Gun was a blast (didn't make the hike over to Shockwave once White Heat went down for wind). Some of the woods and natural trails started to open - finally.

The winds started to pick up mid-morning but only Jordan and WH went down for wind. My daughter was stopped a few chairs ahead of me on the Jordan chair at the spot where the wind really kicks in (by Rogue Angel) and said it was scary with a lot of swinging around. Patrol shut it down shortly after that. I was worried that with Jordan gone lines would be bad but after a brief clog related to the Jordan shutdown they were minimal. The longest was ~5 minutes for Spruce midday; spent a lot of time in Aurora which was ski-on.

Now the woods just need to fill in a little more.

machski

Finally got back up. Dog no longer liking condo sucks as is holding us back a bit this year. Very progressive on trail/Glade openings this year. Glad Carumba is open, want to ski that a ton this season before it is forever widened next year. Ruby was closed (bummer, guess it was open for a day). Hit Hardball off the WH mid entrance. Not bad, still a bit low tide but found some nice untracked lines mostly snowsnake free. Hit a few other off map lines, not bad but need to tread carefully given the low tide. Shockwave was fun, hope they put a bit more gunsmoke on it, especially at the rock garden section. They have hit all the major, long run trails this year (except both Oz runs and Agony) but they have skipped over Upper Downdraft and Blackhole and doesn't appear they have any intention to get on those given lack of guns/hose. Oh well, still darn nice to see so much open and skiing nicely

machski

Quantum Leap I think passed over too thus far.

Upper Downdraft is weird isn't it?
Yeah, very weird and I thought maybe guns would be set up but no. Quantum is often one of the last done so that isn't a surprise. Blackhole is a bigger surprise. Heard today Lost Princess may be on deck next, though Eureka unlikely to see guns yet again this year.

Terry

Shawnee is really cranking out the snow this year. Only 3 snowmaking trails left to blow and 2 of those haven't been blown on for a few years. They have refreshed all the open trails a few times and have a super deep base. Maybe staying open a bit longer in spring? Yay Boyne! Well done

thebigo

Shawnee is really cranking out the snow this year. Only 3 snowmaking trails left to blow and 2 of those haven't been blown on for a few years. They have refreshed all the open trails a few times and have a super deep base. Maybe staying open a bit longer in spring? Yay Boyne! Well done
As a long time Peaks passholder and current vail refugee spending many midweek days at loon. The snowmaking has been beyond impressive, they are relentless and have offered an excellent surface on ever expanding terrain all year. From my perspective it appears boyne invests in snowmaking first, then let's the fancy lifts follow only when when capacity and every efficiency has been realized.

Newpylong

Shawnee has always been extremely aggressive with snowmaking, its not exactly a Boyne thing. Look at the increase in pumping and all the new equipment they've done in the past 5 years.

machski

As a long time Peaks passholder and current vail refugee spending many midweek days at loon. The snowmaking has been beyond impressive, they are relentless and have offered an excellent surface on ever expanding terrain all year. From my perspective it appears boyne invests in snowmaking first, then let's the fancy lifts follow only when when capacity and every efficiency has been realized.
Yes, Loon has been good and I would say Boyne does focus on snowmaking well before the glaringly fancy stuff. Good idea IMHO, you have to have the product before you put on the glitzy finishing touches. I have felt the snowmaking on South has been a bt sluggish this season, usually they have pushed more onto Ripsaw to widen the steepest pitch by now and even Lower Twitcher is still a bit narrow in spots. But overall, they have been as aggressive as normal, maybe even more so than last season. Now, if they can get the teething pains on the Kanc8 straightened out (and crib notes sent to SR for next season with the Jordan8) would be great.

Terry

Shawnee has always been extremely aggressive with snowmaking, its not exactly a Boyne thing. Look at the increase in pumping and all the new equipment they've done in the past 5 years.
But the owner wouldn't let them run it much. Just enough to get trails open and that's it. Couldn't run it during peak electrical hours either.

skef

Mulling a Friday+Saturday mini road-trip to hit Loon on the way to Sunday River in what looks like a decent storm. Saturday looking a bit windy, however, which is giving me pause. Generally speaking, what kind of wind speeds will shut down multiple lifts at SR?

Hawk

It varies and wind direction plays a big part. I am sure Mach will give us all kinds of info. But to plan your trip this far out on what we think will not give you good results. I would say winds above 30 with larger gusts and you are going to see all kinds of shutdowns.

Andrew B.

Looks like it's going to be the prevailing N-NW and gusty
Jordan and White Heat will likely be down significant parts of the day. They have been a lot more liberal running the Chondi the last copule of seasons (IMO) but if it exceeds 30 it and Barker will be down. If the winds get much over that and you can expect LWC and SRX to be the only lifts running.

Edit: it sems takes a real good breeze to shutter then NP lift so it has run when others do not.

machski

Looks like it's going to be the prevailing N-NW and gusty
Jordan and White Heat will likely be down significant parts of the day. They have been a lot more liberal running the Chondi the last copule of seasons (IMO) but if it exceeds 30 it and Barker will be down. If the winds get much over that and you can expect LWC and SRX to be the only lifts running.

Edit: it sems takes a real good breeze to shutter then NP lift so it has run when others do not.
Will the winds Saturday really be N-NW? Thinking more NNE being a Nor'easter. Condo isn't quite as bad with that wind, but Jordan still very susceptible to that as is Spruce and White Heat. Aurora a bit better on that direction, North probably ok. While not yet in play, that is the one direction that can take out Oz Quad. We'll see, Euro has this a good hit for the Maine mountains, the GFS not so much (low center is tracking too far East on that model).

For the record, last Sun-Mon storm had Loon completely shutdown Sunday due to winds while SR only lost Jordan and White Heat. Nor'easter storms can do some wacky stuff.

machski

Meanwhile, first time I have seen a Klik Hydrant used without a modern Impulse or similar HKD gun. Apparently this is a new version of the Klik that can be used with almost any Lower E gun. Sunday River has these set up on the Merrill West Trail.
PXL_20220124_203448542.jpg

johnl87

Mulling a Friday+Saturday mini road-trip to hit Loon on the way to Sunday River in what looks like a decent storm. Saturday looking a bit windy, however, which is giving me pause. Generally speaking, what kind of wind speeds will shut down multiple lifts at SR?
if bullwinkle sneezes at mount abram, half of sunday river goes on windhold.

Newpylong

Meanwhile, first time I have seen a Klik Hydrant used without a modern Impulse or similar HKD gun. Apparently this is a new version of the Klik that can be used with almost any Lower E gun. Sunday River has these set up on the Merrill West Trail.
View attachment 52856

Looks like an HKD Ranger.

Is the River making any effort to work on making snow on the list of remaining blacks?

I love those Dopp terminals the red looks sharp.

Quietman

if bullwinkle sneezes at mount abram, half of sunday river goes on windhold.
I laugh very little and that was (y) funny! A Boris Badenov fart would definitely have the same effect.

Winds on Sat could be nasty if the storm doesn't take a turn too far out to sea. Black of ME's triple is very sheltered, and Mt Abram has the newly painted t-bar if the Way Back machine needs to be shut, but that is a rare occasion. I would gladly ski either of those during a dump instead of enduring SR's frequent wind shutdowns.