• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

A basin end to the year? Not northeast but worth it?

zyk

Driving to Colorado late in the month. Thinking of grabbing a 3 pack of midweek tickets for A Basin. Haven't been since I was 12 so it's been awhile. Any advice is appreciated.

chuckstah

A- Basin is almost always worth it. I easily find it to be the best spring skiing in Colorado. After about 15 spring trips, only one in a really bad snow year didn't work out great. The one bad year they had no snow and closed early, during our trip, but that was still early May.

Reactions: zyk

jimk

I second the recommendation to take advantage of the opportunity to ski A-Basin in late April.

I skied a couple days at A-Basin and one at Breck in early May 2019. That was a good snow year and I really enjoyed both mtns. The snow was great at both.

Here are some notes from that 2019 visit: I skied A-B on Sat and Sun, May 4 and 5. It was great, but very busy with a lot of trail traffic in certain sections of the mtn. Lift lines remained generally quite tolerable. However, I did Breck on Monday, May 6 and it was pleasantly DESERTED. Would A-B have been deserted too on a weekday? Probably. Comparing what's available at both areas, they both may have similar total open skiable acreage at this point of the season and both have some excellent terrain variety for May (A-B is essentially 100% open/Breck has Peaks 6, 7, and 8 open), but I'd say A-B has more advanced terrain open, Breck has more intermediate runs open and fun treeless bowls.
Parking was pretty hectic at A-B, but available at A-B on Sat and Sun. At Breck on Monday the parking was free, convenient, and no hassle. Although, you must catch a shuttle bus from the free parking at Breck Station Gondi lot to ride to base of Peak 7 to start skiing.
Both ski areas were very fun and I enjoyed experiencing the contrast between the two. I was amazed at how much snow is left in the Colorado mtns this May (2019).

Two A-Basin photos from May 2019.
Looking down the Beavers chair lift line:
2019 May Beavers liftline at A-Basin.jpg

Montezuma Bowl
montezuma may 2019 a-basin.JPG

One shot of some of the skiing available at Breck in May 2019, George's Thumb.
toms thumb empty breck may 2019.jpg

A bunch more photos and comments here.

Last edited:

KustyTheKlown

i intentionally only used 5 out of 7 a-bay days on my big february trip and spent 1 day each at copper and winter park, specifically to keep a may or june a-bay weekend with my colorado friends as an open possibility, however unlikely that may actually be

its also a bit small for 7 days in a row. i like to switch it up. and was pleasantly surprised by tthe new tucker mountain access at copper, on a pow day too.

zyk

Thanks for the advice. Driving out and will be there on the 26th. Condo for a week in Breckenridge the heading north. The purpose wasn't skiing but how can I not knock out a few days.

In a surprising it's a small world situation my wife reached out to a friend who we knew was somewhere in Colorado. Turns out she works at A Basin. Fun will follow.