• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

A place for your stuff/Need your input

bvibert

Staff member
Cell phone in jacket pocket, car keys in left snow pants pocket, wallet in lower right snow pants pocket, and sometimes a camera in another jacket pocket. My phone takes good pictures so I usually don't have the camera these days. My pants have a useful pocket on my right thigh above the knee that holds my wallet well, I don't even notice it's there. I can fit my cell in there too, which I sometimes do depending on what jacket I'm wearing. After reading TC's warning I might have to keep it there all the time.

Greg

Staff member
I like Courier

I don't think it gets the respect it deserves.:cool:

Fixed width fonts rule! :lol:

I usually have a wallet, keys and cell, sometimes a camera or video camera. Usually, that's not too uncomfortable mid-season when I have a lot more pockets. In the spring, I'll sometimes just take the ignition key off the keyring and put it along with some cash and my driver's license in a zip-loc and I'm good to go.

creature of habit...everything has a designated pocket, always easy to find. I never carry a wallet...an empty wallet alone takes up a ton of space...add some crap into it and you're Costanza in no time.

drjeff

I'll start with saying that one of the things I specifically look for when I'm buying a new coat/pants is POCKETS!!! :) And specifically location/size of them!

My usual set up is wallet in my right side pocket, camera in my left chest pocket(being a right handed person it's easier, quicker access for me this way), retractable cable in in my left side pocket. Cell phone in the inner "goggle pocket" that my main coat has (closer to my core warmth and easier on the battery this way + easier for me to feel the phone vibrate when a call/text comes). Keys + bag check claim ticket(if needed that day)go in my pants pocket (I don't access them while skiing, so I want them in a pocket that I'm NOT going to open while on the hill to minimize chances of loosing them), gum and lip balm in the other pants pocket. Apres ski baseball cap goes in the pocket I have that goes across the entire lumbar area in the back of my coat.

deadheadskier

Staff member
lots of lip balm users here.

haven't used the stuff in 20 years. In HS I read somewhere that the body becomes physically addicted to it and gave it up. Really have never felt the need for it since.

Beetlenut

I'll start with saying that one of the things I specifically look for when I'm buying a new coat/pants is POCKETS!!! :) And specifically location/size of them!

My usual set up is wallet in my right side pocket, camera in my left chest pocket(being a right handed person it's easier, quicker access for me this way), retractable cable in in my left side pocket. Cell phone in the inner "goggle pocket" that my main coat has (closer to my core warmth and easier on the battery this way + easier for me to feel the phone vibrate when a call/text comes). Keys + bag check claim ticket(if needed that day)go in my pants pocket (I don't access them while skiing, so I want them in a pocket that I'm NOT going to open while on the hill to minimize chances of loosing them), gum and lip balm in the other pants pocket. Apres ski baseball cap goes in the pocket I have that goes across the entire lumbar area in the back of my coat.

Are you skiing or moving? :-D

BackLoafRiver

lots of lip balm users here.

haven't used the stuff in 20 years. In HS I read somewhere that the body becomes physically addicted to it and gave it up. Really have never felt the need for it since.

I read that too. Something about the petroleum that makes you addicted to it. Some vicious cycle...you use it to make your lips moist, ends up actually dehydrating your lip a bit so you re-apply, repeat. The organic/ burts bees stuff isn't supposed to be so bad. Just hella expensive.

On the storage note, I usually leave my keys in my pack at the lodge. On windy days when I am hiking, it all goes in the bag as I hike up. Usually just my ipod in my chest pocket and a cliff bar. Camera goes in the left jacket pocket.

Does anyone ski with a pack on?

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I read that too. Something about the petroleum that makes you addicted to it. Some vicious cycle...you use it to make your lips moist, ends up actually dehydrating your lip a bit so you re-apply, repeat. The organic/ burts bees stuff isn't supposed to be so bad. Just hella expensive.
It's called "job security." ;) I almost never use lip balm and when I do, it's un-petroleum.

I usually have car key, license with a few bills (maybe my insurance card, too), and cell phone. Sometimes a camera but lately I've just been using my cell phone camera. I don't like a lot of bulk. Out West, I had a hydration pack and put extras in there but back home, there's no need for it. Any valuables are locked in the car (yes, even small hills have theft)--Transpack in the lodge with lip balm, a snack, extra layers, etc.

drjeff

I've never used that pocket. Good idea.

Root, all you gotta do is make sure that the brim of your ball cap curves WITH the general shape of your back, and you essentially don't even realize it's in the pocket back there when your riding the lift and your back is against the chair's back rest! It's really an AWESOME pocket and makes great use of space.

SKIQUATTRO

my feeling is that most eastern resorts are small enough that you can keep most stuff in the lodge and go back if you need it.

-tuning gear: your gear should be tuned before you go and done after, never had the need to do any "on hill tuning" in the 30+ years of skiing
-sunblock: apply when booting up, or get small Dermatone tubes for jacket
-wallet: dont carry whole thing, jsut put cash, Amex, M/C and Driver Lic in cargo pocket of pants
-keys: keep in lodge in ski bad or hide under bumper of car (do this surfing)
-cell phone: keep in chest pocket of vest/fleece to keep warmer and increase battery life in cold
-only time i wore a pack was out west to keep hydrated (didnt want to get alt sickness) and an extra pair of socks.

you dont need much when skiing the east, always makes me laugh when i see folks with full avy packs

ctenidae

Car key (only 1- house keys stay in teh car)
Camera
Phone Snot rag
Lip balm
binder clip with cash, license, ATM card, and insurance card
Swiss army knife.

That's all my stuff.
For my wife, I also carry:
Extra turtle fur
2-4 heat packs

And that's about it. Snotrag stays in right jacket pocket, camera in chest pocket, everyhting else is various pockets that tend to stay closed.

SIKSKIER

Yup,real simple here.Keys stay in car and use hide-a-key.Bring c-card and cash in pants pocket,cell phone only occasionally in top coat pocket,and a skigee wiper in top coat pocket.Everything else is but a run or 2 away in my ski bag.I guess I'm kind of spoiled being about 10 steps from the snow away from my bag at Cannon and can ski right to the car if need be.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
I, too, try to keep things light. I will keep my single car key in my front pants pocket. In the other pants pocket, I will keep a credit card, cash and some lip goup. I have my cell phone in my jacket....and that's it folks! At times, I also keep my camera in my jacket pocket and/or a small bottle of water. Everything else in the lodge.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Great thread. Now I know where everyone stashes their money, "safety gear" and car keys, I'm in pick-pockets heaven.
I should be set for the season!
;-)

Next, I'll start a thread to find out what you keep in your pack in the lodge ;)

dmc

Does anyone ski with a pack on?

Only when riding/skiing with video or avi gear...

Different pockets take different abuse from impact and moisture... My camera always goes in the chest pocket stay dryer - but if I sweat too much moisture passes back trhough the layers and it can get wet.....

speden

I can see from reading this thread I've been doing it all wrong. I often carry a camera in the left chest pocket and I crash a lot, but never realized it could cause trauma to the heart. My cellphone camera is crap, so I hope to upgrade my cellphone to a better one so that I can leave the separate camera at home.

My wallet is packed with stuff, so it's a good idea to thin it down or get a credit card sized one for skiing. I do thin out my car keys when I ski, and only take the house key and key for the car we drive that day. I can't imagine leaving the key in the lodge in a pack or under the bumper. Don't you folks believe in crime?

I usually keep a couple of those hand warmer packs in the shoulder pocket of my coat. I don't usually need them, but they are light and allow a couple more runs when otherwise I'd need to go into the lodge to get the circulation going in my hands again. For this season I bought some thin glove liners that I hope will keep my hands warmer on cold days.

Then I've got the medical supplies. Chapstick (sadly I'm addicted to it), sunscreen, and then all my reflux meds. The valve between my stomach and esophagus doesn't work, so I have to nuke all the acid in my stomach when I ski, otherwise it will fry my throat and sinuses. Also have to carry some water and snacks for that, and maybe throw in a couple kleenex.

Then if I'm at an unfamiliar mountain, I'll usually carry a trail map. And if I used one of those lodge lockers, then I've got that annoying round key thing. Yep, way too much junk.

I often wish I could carry a camcorder, but it's just too bulky, so I use the pathetic video mode of the still camera.