• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

ACL injury, surgery, rehab, etc. log

wa-loaf

How long will you have to use that?

I figure I use it for the year and see how things feel next year. I know there is some debate on whether it's actually helpful or not. My insurance co spent $1000+ on it so I figure I owe them to use it for a while. :lol:

Are your kids ready for the hill yet ??

I haven't gotten the kids out yet. They are tough to juggle right now since the littlest one is only 2. I need to put the 5 year old in lessons and then just spend some "fun time" on the snow with the 2yr old.

lerops

So first time out on skis last night went really well. Knee didn't bother me a bit and I got used to the brace really quick. After the first run to assess things I skied the rest of the night as if nothing had ever happened. My quads got tired quickly, but that's mainly due to a lot of inactivity lately. Knee is slightly achy today.

Glad to hear it went well. What kind of brace did you get?

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I figure I use it for the year and see how things feel next year. I know there is some debate on whether it's actually helpful or not. My insurance co spent $1000+ on it so I figure I owe them to use it for a while. :lol:
Heck, if insurance is willing to pay, it's worth a shot, right? :D

Edd

I was thinking of starting a general ACL thread but this'll do fine.

I'm just over 6 months post-op from an allograft ACL surgery. I quit PT 2 months ago out of boredom and I also wanted to start real workouts and experiment a bit. They told me the recovery period would be long and I understood intellectually but holy s**t enough already!

At the gym at work I'm doing leg presses and curls, treadmill on full incline walking, elliptical, a recumbent bike, and a rowing machine. Damn, it feels good to do it all. The knee gets sore the next day but it fades the day after. I'd say the injured leg is at 80%.

I bought a spin bike for home months ago. I'd long ago realized I hate spinning but I thought "Anything for recovery!" Nope. I still hate spin bikes. If I can get my girlfriend to part with it that sucker is out the door.

I'm real nervous about skiing and, for psychological purposes, I plan to wear a brace on both knees.

Wa-loaf, I know you also got an allograph and wore a specially fitted brace. I haven't been recommended a brace at all but I'm asking my doc about it when I see him. How did it end up working out?

Also for psychological reasons I'm not using the bindings I was wearing while injured. They've never released in several falls. They are likely fine but I'll have them checked out and then will sell them or trade them in. Anyone interested in some medium Marker Barons?

Cost of my surgery? Over $29,000. That's outpatient folks. God help us all.

wa-loaf

Wa-loaf, I know you also got an allograph and wore a specially fitted brace. I haven't been recommended a brace at all but I'm asking my doc about it when I see him. How did it end up working out?

I wore the brace for the first season post surgery and haven't touched it since. I guess it depends on how you feel about your knee.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
What's the sign when you blow out your ACL, a collapse? That is an expensive surgery... I think my knees are OK but I'm still in my 30's.

Riverskier

What's the sign when you blow out your ACL, a collapse? That is an expensive surgery... I think my knees are OK but I'm still in my 30's.

I have torn both of mine and I am only 33. One when I was 18 and the other when I was 26. Not really a degenerative thing with age, but more injury induced, and can happen at any age. The first time I had no idea what I had done, but it happened landing on a rock dropping a cliff. It hurt like hell, swelled up, and I couldn't walk on it. The second time I knew, as I heard and felt the characteristic pop, and standing on it felt unsteady. Much less dramatic circumstances and less pain. Both of my surgeries were under $10,000, but they were years ago, and we all know what is happening with the cost of healthcare.

Edd

The past couple of seasons I would wear a simple $10 brace if one of my knees was sore but I've never had a problem until this year; it's like a whole new reality. Thankfully there are quite a few success stories to draw upon, even just on this forum.

My one big takeaway lesson from this is keep your legs strong. The stronger the muscles are the less stress will be placed on ligaments and such. I've historically worked out off season and relied on only skiing for leg strength during winter. Never again.