• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Adult Ski Racing

skidmarks

Any of you doing any Adult Ski racing this season?
picture.php

The picture is of MTL Ski Club's Pat Moore's SG finish.

We race in a few leagues down here in CT. CSC on Monday nights at Mt Southington www.skiclub.com and Tuesday nights www.ciscskiing.org I also did a few speed events last year. One was the Legends DH at Sugarbush. They have a new speed series www.twist-racing.com North Eastern Speed Cup NESC.

I'd rather a powder day anytime but it's still fun to go fast.

gymnast46

Website
www.suburbansport.com
Racing

Any of you doing any Adult Ski racing this season?
picture.php

The picture is of MTL Ski Club's Pat Moore's SG finish.

We race in a few leagues down here in CT. CSC on Monday nights at Mt Southington www.skiclub.com and Tuesday nights www.ciscskiing.org I also did a few speed events last year. One was the Legends DH at Sugarbush. They have a new speed series www.twist-racing.com North Eastern Speed Cup NESC.

I'd rather a powder day anytime but it's still fun to go fast.
Okay, I admit that's me in the photo above. Even though I tripped the timing light (my helmet hit it!) I disqualified myself for going on the wrong side of the last gate.

I'm glad to see skidmarks bring up the subject of racing. The subject has been rarely discussed in this forum. There must be a number of you who are involved in beer leagues, NASTAR, or Mountain Dew. If not, I urge you to give it a try. Here's an article I penned a while back about recreational ski racing. If you find yourself at Okemo this winter and would like to see what racing is all about, stop by the NASTAR start shack on Lower Blackout and ask for me.

Pat Moore

Last edited:

highpeaksdrifter

Okay, I admit that's me in the photo above. Even though I tripped the timing light (my helmet hit it!) I disqualified myself for going on the wrong side of the last gate.

I'm glad to see skidmarks bring up the subject of racing. The subject has been rarely discussed in this forum. There must be a number of you who are involved in beer leagues, NASTAR, or Mountain Dew. If not, I urge you to give it a try. Here's an article I penned a while back about recreational ski racing. If you find yourself at Okemo this winter and would like to see what racing is all about, stop by the NASTAR start shack on Lower Blackout and ask for me.

I like to ski NASTAR. When I'm having a good day at it, the only bad thing is I spend too much time there and not enough on the rest of the mountain. It can be addictive.

skibum9995

We have an AZ team that races Monday nights at Pats Peak, still looking for a couple more racers I believe. We have a lot of fun on the hill and in the bar watching the video of our race runs.

I started racing Masters last year, doing about half of the GS schedule. This year I plan to get to most GS and also to some SL. I haven't skied a SL since high school so I want to get some training in first.

campgottagopee

I enjoy NASTAR as well. A few of our "crew" are regulars at our local hill. We've given up the team racing basically do to other commitments, but still race head to head every sunday for week long bragging rights. BTW, I always get my butt handed to me in there---dang that pisses me off

Glenn

I'd be willing to give something a shot. I used to race back in the day. No GS suit for me though. :razz:

gymnast46

Website
www.suburbansport.com
Racing

Glad to see this thread has generated some interest and delighted to learn AZ has a team. Our shop in CT recognized the lack of a good local Ski Race Center so we rolled one out last year and the response was overwhelmingly positive. Last sunday we hosted a Race Day and invited reps from the major manufacturers. The store was packed. Members of organized race programs like the AZ team are entitled to special manufacturer-supported pricing on race gear including race stock skis.

New for us this year is Fischer's line including the revolutionary "Hole Ski". We also carry Atomic, Rossignol, and Elan. I had a particularly good year on Elans last year and will happily sing the praises of the brand.

Pat Moore

Last edited:

gorgonzola

i've become more and more addicted to nastar racing each year - me and a few others do the thursday nights at blue. gss use to be a regular but sort of dropped off the last 2 years (?) last year i feel like i sort of hit a plataeu so i think i'm gonna do a race clinic tuesday nites to try to break that gold threshold! i also move up an age group this year which should help. next is to get some real gs boards and some stiffer boots....

wow! congrats on wins in snowboard and ski's - two cool!

Phildozer

NASTAR racing is an absolute blast.

If you're looking for the ultimate speed sticks for racing, I'm selling a pair of Dynastar Course 66's. They're race stock and are stupid-fast. 188 CM

If you're interested, PM-me!

skidmarks

Stupid Fast

If you're looking for the ultimate speed sticks for racing, I'm selling a pair of Dynastar Course 66's. They're race stock and are stupid-fast. 188 CM

Wow they sound dangerous. It's hard to get any of the guys down here on anything longer than a 165.
Most of them, especially the old guys like Pat find an Sl Ski faster in our Nastar style courses.

Sky

I've been racing NASTAR @ Wachusett for three years now. THis will be my fourth.

Dozer started us up and, he's right, it's a blast.

Last year Wachusett held a final race for thos of us int he middle of the pack. S:ightly different format than we saw during the regular night league. It was amazing.

gorgonzola

Definately a blast and pretty addictive! What kind of handicaps do you guys run? I'm in the 25-30 range most days in the silver 40-44 yo division but i bump up an age group this year..woot!

gymnast46

Website
www.suburbansport.com
Nastar

On my board my handicap runs in the low to mid 30s. On skis, I'm usually in the high teens. Here's a link to my results from last season. Anything with an S was a run on the snowboard,

I would encourage everyone to try running gates. Even if you don't compete, you'll find your free skiing technique improves. I'll be handling the Pacesetting and timing duties at Okemo again this coming season. Please come on over and run out course!

Terry

Thaller1, Whaller1, Jerryg, myself and3 others race on a team on wed night at Shawnee Peak. We seem to be right in the middle of the pack points wise but have a lot of fun just the same.

Sky

Definately a blast and pretty addictive! What kind of handicaps do you guys run? I'm in the 25-30 range most days in the silver 40-44 yo division but i bump up an age group this year..woot!

I'm in the 50 - 54 group...I score in the mid (to upper) 30's for a handicap. I had a few runs in the high twenties...which is what brings me back every week I guess.

Definitely addictive...definitely improves your technique.

Last edited:

skibum9995

I generally run mid to low teens on league nights at Pats and slightly higher on the flatter, shorter normal NASTAR courses. My first year I was in the high 20s and made some improvements for last year. This year I'm shooting for sub 12 consistently with some single digits in the mix.