• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Adult Ski Racing

skidmarks

Nastar at Okemo

I would encourage everyone to try running gates. Even if you don't compete, you'll find your free skiing technique improves. I'll be handling the Pacesetting and timing duties at Okemo again this coming season. Please come on over and run out course!

Friday Nastar at Okemo is lots of fun! Pat was a gracious host and even let us beat him a few times. The jury is out on what the fastest Nastar ski would be. I too have had my best results on a 165CM SL race ski but I have a feeling that a 170-175CM race carver would be faster yet. My handicap is in the high teens.

Ski Sundown also runs Nastar on Tues (CISC League) Thursdays, and Sundays.

dl

Website
www.orbtialskiing.com
happened to be at steamboat last spring a week after the nastar national finals finished. haven't tried nastar in years but got the whole family to do it. my wife scored a gold and the kids and I got platinum. When did platinum get added to the nastar medal collection? my best handi was 7.21 in the 45-49 age group.

Jeff Isabelle

Rattler

I'm in the Gatineau region but was wondering if I can race Nastar as a Canadian?
I like to visit New England each year. Lots of good skiing and people to meet down there.
Plus recreational racing is just plain fun!

Sky

I'm in the Gatineau region but was wondering if I can race Nastar as a Canadian?
I like to visit New England each year. Lots of good skiing and people to meet down there.

I don't see why you can't race NASTAR. Lots of places put up gates during the day for practice. Wachusett does it Mon, Wed and Fri from 11 to 1. You could buy "one turn" or for a little more, a "day's worth". Single track, but each run is timed.

gymnast46

Website
www.suburbansport.com
Racing

No reason at all why you can't race NASTAR when you visit New England. We'd like to see program expand in Canada. At present, only Fernie offers it.

gymnast46

Website
www.suburbansport.com
Platinum

happened to be at steamboat last spring a week after the nastar national finals finished. haven't tried nastar in years but got the whole family to do it. my wife scored a gold and the kids and I got platinum. When did platinum get added to the nastar medal collection? my best handi was 7.21 in the 45-49 age group.

In the 2005-06 season NASTAR abandoned the former breakdown of recreational and expert classes in favor of Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Platinum. Platinum applies to only the top 5% of racers within an age group. If you pulled a 7.21 handicap, you were doing extremely well.

For those not familiar with the handicap ranking, it's a theoretical calculation derived from how you would do against the national pacesetter who is considered the Zero handicap. In a head to head race you would only be 7.21% slower. That's impressive..

Last year at Okemo I experimented with something a little different on weekends. Of the two courses I set, one had snowboard-specific panels instead of ski gates. I was trying to encourage more snowboard racers to run the course. It turns out that a lot of skiers preferred the triangular shaped panels too. I plan on setting similar courses this coming season.

times three..anybody can race Nastar..even double-tippers..lol..My first season of Nastar..I skied 82 runs..over the course of 10 days raced..Gorganzola almost hit 100 Nasty-R runs that season 05-06..

My best handicap is 22.22 on a soft spring day..that day I had 7 results below 25. In icier conditions my handicap has ranged from the high 20s into the 30s. This last season on twin-tips with my jacket on I had a 34 handicap at Sno mountain..I'd like to get back into Nasty-R this season on Thursday nights at Blue..

skidmarks

Helx is fast

I need to get me some of dat fluro wax in a little film canister with a cork for some of dat mad steezy speed..:daffy:

Toko Helx is fast!!
100% Fluorocarbon Liquid Racing Wax
Optimal in warm, wet snow (Snowball Snow).

Just make sure that before you apply any of this human missile stuff you first have your ski bases saturated with regular wax and then add some low fluoro to the mix. Fluorocarbons stick to Fluorocarbons!!
If you don't want your $$$ wax to blow off right away a little prep is needed before you pull out the film canister.

Toko Helx is fast!!
100% Fluorocarbon Liquid Racing Wax
Optimal in warm, wet snow (Snowball Snow).

Just make sure that before you apply any of this human missile stuff you first have your ski bases saturated with regular wax and then add some low fluoro to the mix. Fluorocarbons stick to Fluorocarbons!!
If you don't want your $$$ wax to blow off right away a little prep is needed before you pull out the film canister.

Thanks for the tips..skiing fast in spring snow when everybody has so much drag from base burn is great

hardline

Somewhere Between the Toeside and the Hellside
Thanks for the tips..skiing fast in spring snow when everybody has so much drag from base burn is great

i love rocketing past people in spring. it helps if you do a lunch scrape to get rid of the gunk. in mid winter i get some badass base burn on the edges of my board. we have tried hot boxin but it dont help. i just have to wax every time i ride.

Jeff Isabelle

Rattler

:snow:Nastar program has been running for years how popular is it? Is there a big final series of races for prozes etc... Just curious can someone point me to the sites for this?

Thanks

Jeff

Jeff Isabelle

Rattler

:snow:

Nastar program has been running for years how popular is it? (From Canada so I don't know) Is there a big final series of races for prizes etc... Just curious can someone point me to the sites for this?

Thanks

Jeff

gymnast46

Website
www.suburbansport.com
Nastar

It's an immensely popular program and has been at the forefront providing racing opportunities to recreational skiers for decades. Each year more than a thousand qualifiers attend the Nationals. The event is well-run and is an experience I encourage everyone to do at least once. I've only missed attending once in the past five years (broken ribs and pneumonia) and I'm already making plans for 2009's event in Steamboat.

Visit www.nastar.com to learn more.

Last edited:

skidmarks

Base Burn

i love rocketing past people in spring. it helps if you do a lunch scrape to get rid of the gunk. in mid winter i get some badass base burn on the edges of my board. we have tried hot boxin but it dont help. i just have to wax every time i ride.

Get some Toko Cold X powder and sprinkle some along the base edges of the snowboard while the wax is still wet. Then wax it in. This stuff hardens the wax and helps prevent base burn.