• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Alchemist Cannery Closed to Public

thetrailboss

Staff member
That is a bummer.

Mixed feelings about the Alchemist. They had a lot of fundraisers in 2011 after Irene in order to "reopen" and then at the last minute decided against it. They cited problems with insurance, but my local sources tell me that they decided to take the money and run.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Several friends know the owners. Even with the fundraisers they had no where near enough money to reopen. They got completely screwed by their insurers. So they invested the money into the canning business.

They have said good news is coming but they can't make an announcement yet. Hopefully its an expansion of the cannery. They could easily sell 50 times as much beer as they currently do.

Sent from my XT907 using AlpineZone mobile app

Huck_It_Baby

Interesting comments on this you guys. I had no idea there was controversy about the Alchemist!

Glenn

I haven't been able to find that stuff in ages. I check the little brew store along Rt. 30 every time we're up by Stratton...

deadheadskier

Staff member
About the furthest south in the state you will find it is Waitsfield.

Sent from my XT907 using AlpineZone mobile app

Huck_It_Baby

I haven't been able to find that stuff in ages. I check the little brew store along Rt. 30 every time we're up by Stratton...

I have a good system in place. Winooski Beverage announces on their Facebook page when the Heady arrives on Wednesdays. They first release 1/2 the batch around lunch time and then the rest at 5:30pm. When I see the alert I jump in my car and head over. I used to be able to buy a 1/2 case but now it's limited to 1 four pack per person I think.

It goes quick. Once I grabbed the last 2 four packs and got in line. The guy who came in behind me saw they were out and looked like he was going to cry. I gave one of my packs to him and he paid for mine as well. Nice guy.

Instant Karma return!

Huck_It_Baby

More on the closing:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/vt-beers-fans-trouble-neighbors-20804191

Sounds to me like they're trying to be good neighbors. If I lived up the street from a business and 26 people turned around in my driveway during a half hour period because they missed a businesses entrance, I'd be pretty pissed too.

Wow. The quote from their neighbor is rough:

Kinsell said. "I'm not a beer drinker, not a fan of any beer."

She probably hates powder as well.

drjeff

You're welcome for that gift I brought you a couple of summers ago ;) :beer:

Moe Ghoul

I was in the cannery on my recent trip up and picked up 2 cases. I had no idea that they had a 1 case per customer per day rule. Good thing the wife came along for the ride. All stocked up for the season. Glad I was able to see the place before it closes to the public.

Huck_It_Baby

I was in the cannery on my recent trip up and picked up 2 cases. I had no idea that they had a 1 case per customer per day rule. Good thing the wife came along for the ride. All stocked up for the season. Glad I was able to see the place before it closes to the public.

2 cases will get you through the entire season?!

You have WAY more self control than I! =)

Savemeasammy

I have a good system in place. Winooski Beverage announces on their Facebook page when the Heady arrives on Wednesdays. They first release 1/2 the batch around lunch time and then the rest at 5:30pm. When I see the alert I jump in my car and head over. I used to be able to buy a 1/2 case but now it's limited to 1 four pack per person I think.

It goes quick. Once I grabbed the last 2 four packs and got in line. The guy who came in behind me saw they were out and looked like he was going to cry. I gave one of my packs to him and he paid for mine as well. Nice guy.

Instant Karma return!

You had me intrigued by this beer, but I didn't realize it was such a precious commodity! I guess I will need to be on the lookout for it next time I'm up north!

Huck_It_Baby

You had me intrigued by this beer, but I didn't realize it was such a precious commodity! I guess I will need to be on the lookout for it next time I'm up north!

If ever there was a sweet nectar of the gods this is it.

Next time we make turns I'll bring you some!

deadheadskier

Staff member
I thought it was horrible when I stopped at the cannery. I couldnt even finish the sample glass....:beer::what:

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2

seriously?

What kind of beer do you normally drink?

I'm not saying every beer lover should love Heady Topper as tastes vary, but I've met very few people who haven't liked it all. Some say it's just okay, but the vast majority of beer lovers I know who have tried it, absolutely LOVE it.

xwhaler

Still have never tried a HT....attempted to get some last March after skiing MRG and stopped by Mehuron's market.
They were sold out...I was there on a Friday afternoon about 1:30 and guy told me they get delivery Tuesday afternoons and by Wed AM they are gone if they even last that long.