• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Amex lift at Stratton today

drjeff

Well this doesn't look good for the Amex lift!

A pic from the IKON passholders FB group posted this morning!

For Stratton's sake hopefully it's not much more than a seized wheel in the mechanism that slows or speeds up the chairs to/from the haul rope as they enter/leave the base terminal depending on what side its on20211229_114120.jpg

KustyTheKlown

if a lift is to go down at stratton at least its that one. really just a lower mountain lift that I've only used to avoid the gondola line to connect to ursa/snowbowl. pretty inconsequential lift in terms of access. stinks for their beginners/ski school if a long term problem

cdskier

I just looked back at the Stratton webcam which you can rewind to the exact point where that happened. The lift had been stopped for a bit by that point (people were already getting out of line) and it looks like that smoke might be from the diesel starting up.

Geoff

Jeez. I had to pull up a trail map to see where that lift is. The Stratton from when I was a kid was fixed grip double chairs. I've never been back. So American Express is more or less where the old Standard double used to be.

drjeff

Jeez. I had to pull up a trail map to see where that lift is. The Stratton from when I was a kid was fixed grip double chairs. I've never been back. So American Express is more or less where the old Standard double used to be.
Yup, and then if you ever hear any reference to their URSA 6 pack, that's where the old North American double was (roughly)

drjeff

More stuff I am reading now suggests that the smoke was just a BIG plume from when they fired up the diesel back up to get people off of AMEX once whatever incident that caused it to shut down in the first places was deemed not an immediately repairable one.

I've seen plenty of diesel auxillary back up start ups over the years, just not with anywhere near that much of a smoke plume!

cdskier

It is always interesting how sometimes people jump to "worst-case scenario" type of conclusions instead of looking at the simple explanations first...

(Edit...not necessarily directed at you Jeff...as the original poster of that FB post in the Ikon group had implied something was on fire in the caption)

Newpylong

Yep, looks like the APU getting started stone cold. Ours was just like that.

At least they have the South American quad right next to it.

VTKilarney

For a second I thought that they were announcing a lift exclusively for AMEX card holders - which would make perfect sense since I just cancelled my AMEX card last week.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Well this doesn't look good for the Amex lift!

A pic from the IKON passholders FB group posted this morning!

For Stratton's sake hopefully it's not much more than a seized wheel in the mechanism that slows or speeds up the chairs to/from the haul rope as they enter/leave the base terminal depending on what side its onView attachment 52498
Yeah, that ain't good.

Last edited:

icecoast1

if a lift is to go down at stratton at least its that one. really just a lower mountain lift that I've only used to avoid the gondola line to connect to ursa/snowbowl. pretty inconsequential lift in terms of access. stinks for their beginners/ski school if a long term problem
Considering the Gondola goes down for wind hold every time somebody farts at Bromley, Amex is pretty critical if you want summit access out of the main base area. Otherwise you're driving to the sunbowl if its windy

icecoast1

you can still get to the summit via ursa, if it's windy enough for that lift to go down, it's probably going to be a pretty miserable day of skiing

drjeff

Stratton upgrade alert - now that the snow bowl lift is a hsq it goes on wind hold as often as the gondola
I know I've mentioned it here on AZ before, but 5 or 6 years ago I was riding up the Gondola 1 December day and a snowmaker was in the cabin with the rest of us. A woman asked him why the Gondola seems to always run slow, and his reply was "if a mouse farts over at Bromley, this lift goes on wind hold!" 😂😂

NYDB

you can still get to the summit via ursa, if it's windy enough for that lift to go down, it's probably going to be a pretty miserable day of skiing
you can for sure. 30-40 minute wait though on a weekend. not my idea of fun.

the old snowbowl fixed grip ran in the wind more often. helped crowd dispersal better imo.