• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Any place Demo snowboards?

GettingOld

Does anyone in CT, MA, VT, NH have a shop that will allow you to Demo snowboards? I have been on a reverse camber for 10+ years and I think its time for an upgrade but I am having a heck of a time understaning all of the new camber technologys. Would love to get a few runs on a few diffrent boards before making a decision or at least get a feel for all the new tech.

ScottySkis

Does anyone in CT, MA, VT, NH have a shop that will allow you to Demo snowboards? I have been on a reverse camber for 10+ years and I think its time for an upgrade but I am having a heck of a time understaning all of the new camber technologys. Would love to get a few runs on a few diffrent boards before making a decision or at least get a feel for all the new tech.
Maybe Orange County snowboard shop in Goshen NY
In mid Hudson Valley NY

ctdubl07

Yes, by all means please try the newer hybrid camber technology.....well its really been around for years now. I am 50 and gave up skiing in 1995, mostly because I wasnt any good at it. Do you all remember when Mobil gas stations and ASK teamed up to offer those discounted learn to ski/ride deals with "X" amount of gas fillups? You got a rental, lesson and lower mtn learning ticket for around $50. I remember my car door pocket being full of those coupons. I went to Haystack and tried snowboarding and have been hooked on the evil sport ever since.

Back then, most any local shop would let you rent/demo a board and put the cost towards a purchase if you wanted the board but thats back when SBing was really growing and shops had significant inventory. Not sure how many suburban shops have such a program anymore but I do know that the board shop at my mtn (MSnw) called "BackSide" still offers such a demo program for around $80 a day with price paid going toward a board if purchased. I gotta think any major mtn with its own shop would still offer demos. The other option is to call around to some of the larger Mtns next Nov and inquire when demo day is, generally in Dec and check out a range of companies. Demo days are not as prevalent as they used to be and very few board companies do them now but generally 1/2 will show up at the larger mtns and you can check out a few boards for $0. Never Summer still does demo days.

For what its worth, I ride a Rossignol board which is not a "shop" board so they are hard to find (Fattys in Canton CT carries them) I think their high end boards are superior to others, lighter (the One LF is amazing) and most have an edge profile that is designed like a serrated knife which does truly bite into East Coast ice and its imperative. (I believe its a technology found on Libtek, Gnu and a few others) Solomon (the Assassin) also makes a great board but again, being a ski brand, doesnt get much shelf play in the normal ride only stores. I also really find the Burton Skeleton Key to be a fun board on both powder and spring days.

The GoodRide is a really helpful website for reviews and basic info but yes, nothing like demoing a few boards and yes, please get on a hybrid board - your knees and butt will thank you from 50% fewer caught edges!

Shredmonkey254

Yes, by all means please try the newer hybrid camber technology.....well its really been around for years now. I am 50 and gave up skiing in 1995, mostly because I wasnt any good at it. Do you all remember when Mobil gas stations and ASK teamed up to offer those discounted learn to ski/ride deals with "X" amount of gas fillups? You got a rental, lesson and lower mtn learning ticket for around $50. I remember my car door pocket being full of those coupons. I went to Haystack and tried snowboarding and have been hooked on the evil sport ever since.

Back then, most any local shop would let you rent/demo a board and put the cost towards a purchase if you wanted the board but thats back when SBing was really growing and shops had significant inventory. Not sure how many suburban shops have such a program anymore but I do know that the board shop at my mtn (MSnw) called "BackSide" still offers such a demo program for around $80 a day with price paid going toward a board if purchased. I gotta think any major mtn with its own shop would still offer demos. The other option is to call around to some of the larger Mtns next Nov and inquire when demo day is, generally in Dec and check out a range of companies. Demo days are not as prevalent as they used to be and very few board companies do them now but generally 1/2 will show up at the larger mtns and you can check out a few boards for $0. Never Summer still does demo days.

For what its worth, I ride a Rossignol board which is not a "shop" board so they are hard to find (Fattys in Canton CT carries them) I think their high end boards are superior to others, lighter (the One LF is amazing) and most have an edge profile that is designed like a serrated knife which does truly bite into East Coast ice and its imperative. (I believe its a technology found on Libtek, Gnu and a few others) Solomon (the Assassin) also makes a great board but again, being a ski brand, doesnt get much shelf play in the normal ride only stores. I also really find the Burton Skeleton Key to be a fun board on both powder and spring days.

The GoodRide is a really helpful website for reviews and basic info but yes, nothing like demoing a few boards and yes, please get on a hybrid board - your knees and butt will thank you from 50% fewer caught edges!
The Skeleton Key is the most versatile board I have ever ridden, just get one, you wont regret it! It does everything well and has a great surfy feel. Go a touch shorter than your old school decks. I used to ride 162’s and the SK is a 158 For me. For Burton, it’s a mid-priced board so it won’t break the bank.

gladerider

yes. they are out there. suggest you do your research, narrow down your list, call some shops near big mountains including the ones in the mountain bases. they will tell you if they have the ones you want to demo or not. many shops in small mountains don't do demos anymore but ones near the big mountains like killington still do.

cdskier

Splinters at the base of Sugarbush access road demo's boards
I was thinking they did, but wasn't entirely sure. Was actually just looking at their website a few minutes before you posted this to see if it mentioned demos.

ctdubl07

The Skeleton Key is the most versatile board I have ever ridden, just get one, you wont regret it! It does everything well and has a great surfy feel. Go a touch shorter than your old school decks. I used to ride 162’s and the SK is a 158 For me. For Burton, it’s a mid-priced board so it won’t break the bank.
Couldnt agree more. For me, the SK has a similar ride to the Rossignol Sushi/Sashimis which are category defining boards. We went to Vail for Easter break...55 degrees and sunny for 5 days. Dreamy conditions.
First day demoed Burton Custom Fling V 162w. Absolute pig of a board, heavy and horrible in conditions, super disappointing since the Custom is Burtons longtime fan favorite. Jumped on Skeleton Key 158 (which is a mid-wide) with back set stance and enjoyed 4 pure days of bliss.