• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Anyone else play guitar?

Greg

Staff member
New Guitar!

Still playing with the "band". We're actually getting quite serious and have invested in some new equipment, namely a PA, bass stack, acoustic guitar amp, mics, stands, etc. My Martin DX1 was retrofitted with an aftermarket endpin preamp and I've not been happy with the sound of it through the new amp. My plan was to just live with it until I was ready to pick up a new higher end Martin.

Well, instead this weekend, I decided to just find a decent lower end A/E and came across a very nice Takamine online. I decided to head up to Manchester Guitar Center and give it a whirl. I was pretty impressed. So I decided to trade in my Martin and a Seagull 12 string that I never play. After the trade-ins, I ended up leaving with this beautiful new Tak, a decent case, and a set of Martin Marquis strings for only $125:

P1000624.JPG

P1000625.JPG

P1000626.JPG

Very easy to play with nice action. Unplugged, does it have the low-end punch of a Martin? No, but the tone is still decent and should only improve as it ages. Amplified, I've got it dialed in and sounds way better than my Martin did and that really was the goal. Having a cutaway, and an on board tuner in the preamp is nice too. Plus the thing is beautiful so I'm very happy. Kinda wish it had a pick guard, but honestly I didn't notice that until I got it home. Nothing like the smell of a new acoustic too. Someday I will invest in that "final" Martin D-16 or D-28, but this Tak should give me several years of nice playing until I can squirrel away enough funds for the guitar I'll take to the grave.

Grassi21

Still playing with the "band". We're actually getting quite serious and have invested in some new equipment, namely a PA, bass stack, acoustic guitar amp, mics, stands, etc. My Martin DX1 was retrofitted with an aftermarket endpin preamp and I've not been happy with the sound of it through the new amp. My plan was to just live with it until I was ready to pick up a new higher end Martin.

Well, instead this weekend, I decided to just find a decent lower end A/E and came across a very nice Takamine online. I decided to head up to Manchester Guitar Center and give it a whirl. I was pretty impressed. So I decided to trade in my Martin and a Seagull 12 string that I never play. After the trade-ins, I ended up leaving with this beautiful new Tak, a decent case, and a set of Martin Marquis strings for only $125:

P1000624.JPG

P1000625.JPG

P1000626.JPG

Very easy to play with nice action. Unplugged, does it have the low-end punch of a Martin? No, but the tone is still decent and should only improve as it ages. Amplified, I've got it dialed in and sounds way better than my Martin did and that really was the goal. Having a cutaway, and an on board tuner in the preamp is nice too. Plus the thing is beautiful so I'm very happy. Kinda wish it had a pick guard, but honestly I didn't notice that until I got it home. Nothing like the smell of a new acoustic too. Someday I will invest in that "final" Martin D-16 or D-28, but this Tak should give me several years of nice playing until I can squirrel away enough funds for the guitar I'll take to the grave.

Funny... we have seen skis, bindings, bikes, and now guitars against that same wall. Nice acquisition. Rock on.

dmc

Very Pretty guitar!

Investing is important.. My last big investment was pro drum mics/stands/cables/mixer... Paid off in aces... Sound so good to have a mic on each drum of my Yamaha's(just like Carters)......

:)

Greg

Staff member
Funny... we have seen skis, bindings, bikes, and now guitars against that same wall. Nice acquisition. Rock on.

Yup. nothing like a concrete backdrop for contrast. :razz:

Very Pretty guitar!

Investing is important.. My last big investment was pro drum mics/stands/cables/mixer... Paid off in aces... Sound so good to have a mic on each drum of my Yamaha's(just like Carters)......

:)

Nice! And Carter rules it.

Warp Daddy

Nice acquisition Greg --- sounds pretty SAWEET too huh -------hope you have many good gigs with the new axe -------------------------------------Rock On

Lay down some sweet licks for me. I'm still just lookin at my axes dammit, maybe someday soon i'll get the green lite to give em a real workout :D

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Nice! I really enjoyed going the acoustic/electric route when I got my Ovation. As you mentioned, they don't have the unplugged sound of the nice acoustics but many of the acoustic/electrics really soar when plugged in.

All that said, I have touched my axe in a long long time.

Greg

Staff member
I finally did it and pulled the trigger on a new Martin that I've been drooling over for some time. A Martin DC-16 RGTE Aura:

http://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/choosing/guitars.php?m=DC-16RGTE AURA&s=6&p=ge

Luckily after my trade in I got out of there for a bit over half the list price. Still an almost ludicrous price to pay for a guitar, but hey it's a solid wood Martin, it plays incredibly, and I finally have an acoustic that I plan to keep for the rest of my life.

SKIQUATTRO

tried...tried self teaching, had lessons...I strumm with left.....just couldnt get it....

jrmagic

Congrats on the new guitar. Though I don't ahve one, I've always been a big fan of Martins. The ones I've played have some really great warm tones. Enjoy!

57stevey

Congrats Greg! Just found this thread... I played guitar in a cover band for quite awhile but not in the past 5-6 years. I have always had a bass around to goof with, but now have a second one and am trying to get more serious with them (got flatwounds on one!) so the guitars aren't getting much use.

Greg

Staff member
Serious guitar stoke:

P1020833.JPG

This thing sings...

niiiiiiice...i live about 30-45mins from the factory...always wanted to take a tour

i've played for 20+ years...self taught at first, then was a music minor in college...also play a little banjy, bass and piano...these days i play weekly concerts for my 11 month old son...he usually enjoys it, but sometimes i throw a clunker out there...this is what happens when you play without a net to a demanding audience

+1 Along with being banned from a music store for playing Stairway or Smoke on the Water;-)

seconded...add in the dood who plays his hottest lick that he has practiced for years, specifically for going into the music store, turning up the amp too loud and trying too hard to impress the other customers...double secret lifetime ban if you do the yngwe finger tap run and/or use the whammy