• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Anyone else play guitar?

ERJ-145CA

This just shipped from Guitar Center today can't wait to get it:
LP_Faded_Maple_top.jpg

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Maple Top.

Greg

Staff member
This just shipped from Guitar Center today can't wait to get it:
LP_Faded_Maple_top.jpg

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Maple Top.

Ack! That's freakin' nuts. Congrats! When it's time for me to buy an LP, it'll probably be a Studio as well. The standards are just too much $$$.

Going to look at a used American Highway One Strat (Craigslist) today like this one:

499383.jpg

I hope it's as nice as he says it is. I'm getting it for a song... (not literally... ;) )

deadheadskier

Staff member
Speaking of new guitars. Trey Anastasio busted out his new Langeudoc this past weekend. Talk about stunning. :eek:

For ONLY $7500, Paul will custom make you his entry level guitar. I imagine Trey's cost considerably more.

trey_s_guitar.jpg

Warp Daddy

Speaking of new guitars. Trey Anastasio busted out his new Langeudoc this past weekend. Talk about stunning. :eek:

For ONLY $7500, Paul will custom make you his entry level guitar. I imagine Trey's cost considerably more.

trey_s_guitar.jpg

OOOHHHH, SLURP , AAAH Damn Major DROOLAGE WOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dmc

trey_s_guitar.jpg

http://phish.com/#/media/galleries/wont-you-come-out-to-play

This new guitar, finished in July, was made from a beautiful piece of koa that Paul had been saving for some time. It's the first guitar where he used wood binding (contrasted with the white edging from guitars) and the first time color inlays were used.

ERJ-145CA

Ack! That's freakin' nuts. Congrats! When it's time for me to buy an LP, it'll probably be a Studio as well. The standards are just too much $$$.

Going to look at a used American Highway One Strat (Craigslist) today like this one:

499383.jpg

I hope it's as nice as he says it is. I'm getting it for a song... (not literally... ;) )

Hopefully that Strat is a nice one, an American Strat is a great guitar. My wife has a sunburst Fender Strat but it's made in Mexico. It's still a very good guitar especially after a good setup.

I've always wanted a LP and finally decided to pull the trigger when I found out that they had a sunburst studio model, the studio that I played played just as well as a Standard it just is less detailed, no binding etc. It's on it's way, hopefully it gets home before I leave for my next trip. It looks like no new skis for a couple or years.

Greg

Staff member
Hopefully that Strat is a nice one, an American Strat is a great guitar. My wife has a sunburst Fender Strat but it's made in Mexico. It's still a very good guitar especially after a good setup.

The Strat was basically flawless and now is mine. A steal at $430:

strat.jpg

I've always wanted a LP and finally decided to pull the trigger when I found out that they had a sunburst studio model, the studio that I played played just as well as a Standard it just is less detailed, no binding etc. It's on it's way, hopefully it gets home before I leave for my next trip. It looks like no new skis for a couple or years.

Keep me posted. I would be interested to hear what you think of it. A Studio LP is in my future eventually, and hopefully will complete the collection - Studio LP, American Strat, and a Martin DC-16. USA Baby!

AdironRider

Anybody actually make their own stuff, or just play covers of DMB and other stuff everyone who learns guitar learns?

I made a band with my best friend in high school and got 2 weeks of detention for playing a song we dubbed "anal sex at motel six". Apparently the headmaster wasnt feeling the groove.

Greg

Staff member
Anybody actually make their own stuff, or just play covers of DMB and other stuff everyone who learns guitar learns?

I'm in a cover band. Lots of fun to play out when everyone knows the stuff you're playing and sings and dances along. I've written a few riffs, and progressions, nothing too great though. We'll probably try to write a few songs eventually....just having fun with what we're doing now.

AdironRider

Its all good, not really trying to bash, but just jump on the horse and start creating man.

Guitar gets boring for me real fast if Im not trying to do something of my own.

My sister (art student) equates it to copying Monet's in class. Never quite the same.

I felt way better about my song than my mean cover of Voodoo Chile, probably my best trick up my sleeve.

That being said, and I mean this seriously, look up some Tenacious D tabs. The lyrics are garbage but Kyle really kills it with the acoustic riffs. Keilbasa Sausage is a fun one you can pick up pretty quick. Super fun stuff to just start playing and jam for a bit. Heavily based on Zepp, Sabbath, etc, but on acoustic with trashy lyrics.

Last edited:

dmc

I'm in a cover band. Lots of fun to play out when everyone knows the stuff you're playing and sings and dances along. I've written a few riffs, and progressions, nothing too great though. We'll probably try to write a few songs eventually....just having fun with what we're doing now.

Nice and organic... :)

It will happen. Be forewarned..
Once your in the "cover rut" it gets tough to break out of if people really dig you - It's addictive. Like crack.. Or moguls... :)

ERJ-145CA

The Strat was basically flawless and now is mine. A steal at $430:

strat.jpg

Keep me posted. I would be interested to hear what you think of it. A Studio LP is in my future eventually, and hopefully will complete the collection - Studio LP, American Strat, and a Martin DC-16. USA Baby!

How's the Strat? I've had my LP for 11 days and it is awesome, best playing guitar I ever had. Now I have to get a new amp because all we have in the house is a small practice amp. I played the guitar through my friend's tube amp and it sounded awesome. My friend played it for a song and said he had to go back to his Strat because if he kept playing it he'd be on the internet buying one.

Here's a picture:
MyLPFMT_640x480_.JPG

Greg

Staff member
How's the Strat? I've had my LP for 11 days and it is awesome, best playing guitar I ever had. Now I have to get a new amp because all we have in the house is a small practice amp. I played the guitar through my friend's tube amp and it sounded awesome. My friend played it for a song and said he had to go back to his Strat because if he kept playing it he'd be on the internet buying one.

Here's a picture:
MyLPFMT_640x480_.JPG

Sweet guitar. It's next on the list. Gonna be a while though. The Strat is great. Easy to play and sounds, well strat-like. I did swap out the bridge pickup for a vertically stackked humbucker that looks just like a single-coil. Almost a perfect color match too. Happy with it, but do want to add an LP to the quiver...

ERJ-145CA

Sweet guitar. It's next on the list. Gonna be a while though. The Strat is great. Easy to play and sounds, well strat-like. I did swap out the bridge pickup for a vertically stackked humbucker that looks just like a single-coil. Almost a perfect color match too. Happy with it, but do want to add an LP to the quiver...

Speaking of customizations I plan on changing the pickguard, pickup rings and switch ring to cream colored plastics. I like the look of the volume and tone knobs but I'll see how they look after I change the other plastics.

Greg

Staff member
Speaking of customizations I plan on changing the pickguard, pickup rings and switch ring to cream colored plastics. I like the look of the volume and tone knobs but I'll see how they look after I change the other plastics.

That'll look nice.

Greg

Staff member

BTW, let me know where you get your new plastic and what it costs. I think when I'm ready, I might go for the satin ebony and then dress it up with cream plastics.

Greg

Staff member

Did you upgrade the plastics yet? Found a guy on Craigslist looking to trade a similar LP for a Strat!