• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Are helmet threads the worst?

witch hobble

We seem to have a bimonthly helmet thread here, often started by a relatively new member.

They inevitably lead to posts exhibiting self-righteousness, stubbornness, invoking the most recent nearby tragedy, invoking the 3 high profile celebrity deaths of the last 20 years, and of course "for the children's sake" arguments. They rarely illuminate any new perspectives or ideas, and they always turn sort of pissy ( though admittedly so does any thread that goes more than 3 pages around here).

Anybody who was skiing 30 years ago and is still skiing today obviously sees the cultural hegemony of the issue at whatever ski area they go to. Culture change generally happens quite slowly, but in this case I would say it is fairly rapid.

My least favorite threads. I will always skewer them. If I were a mod I would ban them. :daffy::daffy:

benski

Maybe you complainers can ignore it or mark it read.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

witch hobble

It is fairly meta I realize. Perhaps you should start a new thread about it....but in miscellaneous discussions.

maybe make a sticky helmet thread (sounds like you left your helmet on a table down in the brown bag room) or at least educate about the search function.

witch hobble

Maybe you complainers can ignore it or mark it read.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
But I'm also anxiously waiting for a new angle.....as well as the inevitable "when the idiot pulls the safety bar down before I'm ready" comment.

VTKilarney

[sarcasm] I'm upset that the children have to read this extra thread when they could be brushing up on helmet safety. [/sarcasm]

It's an Internet forum. Things are going to be repeated. I've always felt that it was disrespectful to new members to shut down a conversation just because someone has brought it up before.

dlague

Since I have been on this forum, just over two years, I find that the same topics are discussed year over year and sometimes repeat even in the same season. In fact some discussion repeat them selves even in the same thread often by those who are late to the party. If you do not like repeat threads ignore them. Try being on here in the summer then as the season starts to take off some of the same topics get discussed. The Skiing on the Cheap is the worst for repeat posts.

Some of the favorite repeats are:

Helmets
K vs SR
Tuning/Waxing
Weather
Ski boots
Where to ski

and more

witch hobble

There are situational nuances to a lot of those threads that can hinge on time of year or skiing ability.

Helmet threads just calcify people's already held opinions, IMHO.

C-Rex

What's odd is that people are getting testy like they do when there's no snow. What are we complaining about? People in the Sierra's would tell us all to STFU and go skiing/riding.

dlague

There are situational nuances to a lot of those threads that can hinge on time of year or skiing ability.

Then check out the K VS SR threads each year - those are polarizing discussions!

VTKilarney

There are some similar issues on bicycle forums that I read that are always going to be polarizing. Frankly, I don't think that the helmet issue is actually that polarizing, but one thing I've learned with polarizing issues is that you need to either accept that reality or avoid the conversation.

witch hobble

People in the California already generally think of us east coasters as testy and wound too tight.

witch hobble

My post was my opinion. Whenever a helmet thread starts I dread it but can't look away. I worked in a ski shop when the Kennedy/Bono twin tragedy happened and witnessed the first huge wave of increased use. Then worked as a patroller. So I sort of instinctively or compulsively follow it.

What recurring thread do you dread?

Domeskier

People in the California already generally think of us east coasters as testy and wound too tight.

What? Say it isn't so! I wonder what people in the California would specifically think about the person who started this thread.