• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Are we skiers helping global climate change?

jack97

Here's some science you can do at home: put a small plastic bag over your head. Seal all the gaps with duct tape. Leave on for several hours. Report back on your CO2 findings. We'll wait.....

yep...that is sick. guess you have zero tolerance for those who have different views.

BenedictGomez

do you believe that oil is infinite?

Infinite is a very strong word. But......

SHORT VERSION: Human beings tend to only be able to see the world as they literally can "see" it, in the moment. There are about 642 other things I'd worry about before I'd get to "oil running out" being on the list.

LONG VERSION: I do believe that there is likely more than enough oil on our planet given the known and theorized current supply, plus the recent technological advances that are STILL greatly expanding that supply, to last years and years and years, by which time, it's at least as statistically likely that there will be a generational technological advance or discovery that could make oil somewhat trivial, if not rendering it completely obsolete.

Or do you believe that humans will cease to exist before oil runs out?

That's a possibility too.

That end of the world thing is still on.

Is it? I didn't know that. I remember when one came to my door when I was a kid telling me the world was about to end (it was one of the times when they had an actual date). Handed me some kindof frightening magazine with scary images of the world ending, etc...

deadheadskier

Staff member
yep...that is sick. guess you have zero tolerance for those who have different views.

Give us a break Jack. You can be intolerant of AGW supporters and as snarky and condescending as anyone in these conversations.

Cannonball makes an off color joke, and it was that, not malicious intent and you act the victim. If you're going to dish it out, learn to take it.

jack97

Give us a break Jack. You can be intolerant of AGW supporters and as snarky and condescending as anyone in these conversations.

Cannonball makes an off color joke, and it was that, not malicious intent and you act the victim. If you're going to dish it out, learn to take it.

who said i'm a victim? i think the person who needs a break are people who can't handle opposing views without adding the usual ad hominems or hyperbole, the later as reflected in your reply.

Cannonball

Please explain how my joke can be interpreted that way.

I can understand calling it 'sick' (some of the best jokes are). But I can't figure out how it could equate to zero tolerance for people with other views.

Highway Star

Reading through the comments of an article I referenced previously in another thread, I noticed this one:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/13/us/climate-change-threatens-ski-industrys-livelihood.html

What do you think? It definitely would seem ironic that skiers would be helping to bring about the climate change that would destroy skiing!

But thinking about it, how much energy is expended in making snow? A pump and a few fans? That's not all that much. Heck, there is probably a lot more energy being expended in running the lifts and the customers' cars.

I think this reporter is a first class moron:

http://mediamatters.org/research/2007/03/09/serial-misinformer-kit-seelye-reportedly-set-to/138246

However, Seelye's previous political coverage for the Times has been broadly criticized. In particular, she has been singled out for advancing -- and, in some cases, generating -- misleading attacks on former Vice President Al Gore during the 2000 presidential race.

BenedictGomez

Yorkers and Jersey folk driving up to Vermont every weekend aint sustainable...

If you live in Vermont, you'd better hope that it is.

It sustains Vermont. Where do you think all the college kids & skiers come from. If not for them.......

Seriously. Isn't tourism like the 2nd or 3rd most important contributor to Vermont?

Cannonball

If you live in Vermont, you'd better hope that it is.

Seriously. Isn't tourism like the 2nd or 3rd most important contributor to Vermont?

Contributor of? The answer probably depends on who you ask.

It's way the heck up there wherever it is.

Point being, a Vermonter wishing to put an end to that is like a Panda Bear wishing for a bamboo blight.

Blight is an interesting choice of words

Judder

Bennington, VT / Rochester, VT / Sugarbush
Just trying to stir some sh!t up.

Tourism = absolutely vital to the VT economy. The way it currently works = unsustainable and killing winter as we know it.

When you have thousands of SUVs driving hundreds of miles each weekend just to play in the snow, that's just a kick in the balls to mother nature, climate, and our energy resources. Sh!t aint sustainable for long. I'm to blame for this too; I need my car for everything.

It'll be curious to see what the NE ski industry is like in 50 years. Cars? Alternative Transportation? Climate?

Just trying to stir some sh!t up.

Tourism = absolutely vital to the VT economy. The way it currently works = unsustainable and killing winter as we know it.

When you have thousands of SUVs driving hundreds of miles each weekend just to play in the snow, that's just a kick in the balls to mother nature, climate, and our energy resources. Sh!t aint sustainable for long. I'm to blame for this too; I need my car for everything.

It'll be curious to see what the NE ski industry is like in 50 years. Cars? Alternative Transportation? Climate?

natural gas...the future belongs to natural gas...natural gas is my ho and i am pimping her all over town