• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Are you happy with your "specialty" ski purchase?

Greg

Staff member
New powder boards, bump skis, racing sticks this season?

Are you happy with your specialized ski purchase this season? I picked up a pair of bump skis last fall and I love them. I truly think they helped me to become a better skier and my form has also improved on my mid fats as a result.

You?

Hawkshot99

I bought some powder boards this fall. Sadly only got 1 powder day with them before hurting myself. They performed real nice for me, even if it was just 1 day.

Totally my 88mm waisted fat skis are great in the deep granuler sugar and crud along with fresh Poe...and they carve well as well..next season I want some Pontoons..

madskier6

I'm totally happy with my specialty powder skis, Volkl Gotamas, that I bought this year. I've had a couple of great powder days on them at Magic plus they are great for Spring skiing on corn snow. Had a great day skiing with them at Burke in Spring conditions.

Phat is where it's at!

deadheadskier

Staff member
No specialty purchases this year. I will say however that my Rossi Axiom powder boards I bought in 2000 that I still have were the BEST ski purchase I ever made. I only have gotten to use them once this season and was pumped to have them in my quiver.

Next season, I'm looking to hopefully pick up a set of race sticks for days where it's hardpack and I can't find enjoyable bumps.

I don't ski a lot, but I like having a full quiver. My goal is to have a mid-fat all mountain, race stock ski, bump ski and powder ski, then replace one each season.

deadheadskier

Staff member
It's good to have goals in life..I remember when it was nice just having my own skis..period....But I want a steezier quiver as well..

My girlfriend and I also have home ownership goals in the next year. If I compromise our ability to do so due to my desire for a better ski quiver.......I'm effed, she'll kill me :lol:

balance

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Only got one real good powder day on my new boards. Definitely happy with the purchase at only $200 used. I don't know if I would be able to justify the cost of a brand new pair of boards at anything more than end of season prices for a "specialty" board though. These boards are only coming out on foot deep plus days which are probably only 10% of my total days per season (6 or 7). Hard to justify full price cost for that few days a season especially when the regular skis did okay. But the performance bump was definitely worth $200 for a few big days a year. The three ski quiver remains an ideal in my mind.

My girlfriend and I also have home ownership goals in the next year. If I compromise our ability to do so due to my desire for a better ski quiver.......I'm effed, she'll kill me :lol:

balance

Well you're already taking out a big mortgage..what's a couple pairs of skis on the Visa card in addition..and a trip to Jackson Hole..lol..

It sounds like this girlfriend is marriage material..

deadheadskier

Staff member
The three ski quiver remains an ideal in my mind.

What do those 3 ski styles consist of for you?

I said 4 for me, but a set of bumpers is at the bottom of the priority chain. My all mountain skis (B2's) work very well in the bumps, not quite as good as my old bandit X's though which are now my defacto bump ski. My only gripe with them is length. They're 184 and I'd rather have something around 178 for bumps.

I agree on cost to. To be honest, I doubt I'd ever spend more than $250-$300 (flat) on a set of skis. I'll take the last years model at a discount.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Well you're already taking out a big mortgage..what's a couple pairs of skis on the Visa card in addition..and a trip to Jackson Hole..lol..

It sounds like this girlfriend is marriage material..

yeah, she's definitely a keeper. No trip out west next winter, but she's well aware that the following winter when I have earned another week of vaca.....I will be going to Utah. Been too long, haven't been out west since 2001.

twinplanx

Totally...I had just about forgotten what a good edge feels like. I've wanted a pair of twin-tips since I first saw 2 pairs of ten-eighties since I saw 2 pairs strapped to the roof of a subby Impreza at Jay almost 10 yrs ago. When my buddy out West was able to snag some used(not abused in the least) PE demos I just had to have them and was glad to fork over the 250$. The 8 days that I've been on these skis have some of my best ever. ...Would I like to add to my quiver?

deadheadskier

Staff member
Groomer, All Mountain, Powder.

Those three would be my first choice as well. I'm happy with the B2 as my all mountain, next I will look to add the groomer/race board as I don't have a ski that delivers the performance I want for those conditions currently. After that it's a toss up between the Powder or Bump. If I find myself in a position to chase more Powder then I'll upgrade the Axioms. If I'm stuck looking for bumps more often, then I'll go that direction, not that that's a bad thing. I love bumps almost as much as powder.

wa-loaf

No new skis this year, but I mostly love my new Nordica Hot Rod boots. Best fitting and performing boots I've ever had. Only prob is they let a lot of snow/moisture into the shell.

I just picked up a pair of used race stock Volkl Racetiger GS skis for next year. Can't wait to get out on those. Next purchase will be some semi-fat skis in the 80 mm range. Still love my Ripsticks as my frontside/crud/bump ski.

wa-loaf

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay? What size and was it with bindings?

Got em off ebay for approx $120 plus $25 shipping. No bindings and they are 185 cm. I'll be on the hunt this summer for some used race plates and bindings. I'm hoping to find something around $100.

snowmonster

Very satisfied with the wide skis I got at the end of last season (94 underfoot). It's become my go to ski especially in the trees and on fresh snow. Very capable too on the groomers. I also got a race/carver ski and have used that thrice only (Mutix R11) and, as hawkshot once said, it makes me want to go fast and at irresponsible speeds. Happy with them both. A wider ski with Marker Dukes is in the works for next season.

Hawkshot99

I also got a race/carver ski and have used that thrice only (Mutix R11) and, as hawkshot once said, it makes me want to go fast and at irresponsible speeds.

But isnt it fun!:dunce: I only used mine a few times for the same reason. Even tore the ACL on them.