• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Auto Road Skiing

awf170

I was wondering if anyone knows how the snow cover will be up on mt. washington upper snow fields, because the auto road opens may 7 and i wanted to just drive up there and ski the upper snow fields, i was wondering how the coverage would be up there... feel free to throw insults at me for being lazy and not wanting to hike from the bottom, atleast this way i will probably be able to get in about a half dozen runs

thetrailboss

Staff member
awf170 said:
I was wondering if anyone knows how the snow cover will be up on mt. washington upper snow fields, because the auto road opens may 7 and i wanted to just drive up there and ski the upper snow fields, i was wondering how the coverage would be up there... feel free to throw insults at me for being lazy and not wanting to hike from the bottom, atleast this way i will probably be able to get in about a half dozen runs

Well, you'd still have to climb back up to your car and I don't know how long you can park up there.

awf170

i think you would have to park at the top then just hike down the road a little, which still isnt that bad... i cant believe the auto road is $18 now for a car and driver

thetrailboss

Staff member
awf170 said:
i think you would have to park at the top then just hike down the road a little, which still isnt that bad... i cant believe the auto road is $18 now for a car and driver

It's New Hampshire. Believe it :roll:

thetrailboss

Staff member
awf170 said:
atleast it is still cheaper then a lift ticket

Don't give them any ideas :wink:

Not too sure how much snow will be left up there...they don't run the auto road unless the snow is clear.

(Gulp) 1400th post! :eek:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Bob R said:
thetrailboss said:
awf170 said:

Not too sure how much snow will be left up there...they don't run the auto road unless the snow is clear.

You just a NH Wannabee anyway. :wink:

Last check you WERE a Vermonter who had been exhiled to NH. :wink: :lol:

Many folks in my part of VT wish that they were in NH :roll: Think I will pass...

Vortex

thetrailboss said:
Bob R said:
thetrailboss said:
awf170 said:

You win your right and I made the change 1st. :beer:

awf170

thetrailboss said:
awf170 said:

wasnt the 1000th one only about a month ago?

awf170

it says on the website, they will open it once they clear the snow, i always thought they waited to it melted, but i guess not

thetrailboss

Staff member
Bob R said:
thetrailboss said:
Bob R said:
thetrailboss said:
awf170 said:

You win your right and I made the change 1st. :beer:

So what do I win? :wink:

thetrailboss

Staff member
awf170 said:
wasnt the 1000th one only about a month ago?

Yes, work has been pathetically slow...

Back to the topic at hand...I'm sure someone must have tried this before. Certainly skiing the auto road must be fun!

Mike P.

They wait until most of it melts but will plow the drifts, it adds to the ride in the vans.....

cbcbd

Getting really warm pretty fast, wonder how much snow on the snowfields will be left. Bring rock skis or ones that you are throwing away after this season ;)

awf170

still looked like it had really good coverage when i looked at it with binocules from wildcat(no rocks sticking out at all), i just hope it stays cool, up at that elavation i think they might get some snow saterday. I was trying to find some pics online of what mt washington looks like in early may but i couldnt find any. I think there should be atleast some skiing up there its only a little over 2 weeks away, it cant melt that fast, i hope.

thetrailboss

Staff member
awf170 said:
still looked like it had really good coverage when i looked at it with binocules from wildcat(no rocks sticking out at all), i just hope it stays cool, up at that elavation i think they might get some snow saterday. I was trying to find some pics online of what mt washington looks like in early may but i couldnt find any. I think there should be atleast some skiing up there its only a little over 2 weeks away, it cant melt that fast, i hope.

www.mountwashington.org

Mt. Washington Observatory. GREAT website. :wink:

EXCELLENT mountain forecasting, great photos, live webcams, etc.

Here is their backcountry conditions report taken from various huts/camps

Here is the image from the Ravines Cam today...looks like some snow still hanging in there:

I consider them the weather authority along with the Vermont's Fairbanks Museum . :wink:

dmc

I hope to be in the Upper Snowfilds this weekend...