• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Backyard Park setups

planb420

I know I'm not the only one that cannot take the excitement and have built a setup in my backyard yet again this year. SO this thread is dedicated to all things DIY park style, post questions/answers/how to's...and most importiantly your setups.

For mine I prefer the natural wood features so I went running around the woods till I found the perfect 2 rails. One is a 13' mosnster log flat rail set about 2 1/2 feet off the ground, next is a 10' rainbow log, and finally a 8' metal cannon rail...and then I have a blue barrel to mix in for fun. My drop in is awesome since my backyard is double tiered all I need to do is lay out a sheet of ply on each teir and Im good to go.....all my features have been preset (buried in the ground) to keep me from having to waste snow to hold em in place.
2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg1.jpg

mriceyman

Made a couple rails to teach myself how to hit them this winter.. I have a plow on my truck so i figure i can make a decent starting hill then another lip onto the rails.. Im determine to learn lolImageUploadedByAlpineZone1384558628.875389.jpg

Sent from my iPhone

planb420

Here are a few more shots of the newly built "main" feature in the Rockwell Jib Park (My backyard lol), still without a name.
I cant wait to get some hits in on this bad boy once the snow flies, still waiting for the rest of the bark to dry out around the top cut so I can peel more of it off. I plan to still leave some because I love the natural look of it all...even got a compliment from the neighbors for in their words "repurposing nature" and being creative. They cant wait to see what we do with it once the snow gets here.
5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg

C-Rex

Nice stuff!!

Back in highschool, one of my friends had built a big wooden drop-in and a kicker/landing with carpet on it so the snow would stick to it. He even built his own snowgun using an air compressor and garden hose. It didn't make the most quality product but it did work. Not bad at all for a 17 year old.

planb420

Nice stuff!!

Back in highschool, one of my friends had built a big wooden drop-in and a kicker/landing with carpet on it so the snow would stick to it. He even built his own snowgun using an air compressor and garden hose. It didn't make the most quality product but it did work. Not bad at all for a 17 year old.

Come get in on this action once the snow gets here....

Savemeasammy

This reminds me of my high school days when I used to ski in a sort-of sand pit near the house where I grew up. There was a nice rock in the middle where I built a jump, and there was also a natural cornice-like feature to jump off. Good times. It sure beat sitting around in the house!

Huck_It_Baby

I've been clearing the hill behind my house so it's good to ski with minimal snow. I'm not much into rails but I'm working on building some drops, 1/4 pipes up the sides of trees and some routes down that let you hit features in a smooth flowing way. There are actually some decent sized rock drops up there too.

My dilemma how construct some of the concepts/features I have with my materials as well as doing it in a way that isn't too destructive to the land.

C-Rex

I've been clearing the hill behind my house so it's good to ski with minimal snow. I'm not much into rails but I'm working on building some drops, 1/4 pipes up the sides of trees and some routes down that let you hit features in a smooth flowing way. There are actually some decent sized rock drops up there too.

My dilemma how construct some of the concepts/features I have with my materials as well as doing it in a way that isn't too destructive to the land.

Check out north shore style mountain bike trail features like ladder drops and wall rides. They work just as well with snow on them. You should be able to find something on these here interwebs on building techniques. I used to hit some of the mountain bike ladder drops at Catamount in the winter, but I'm not sure if they're still there since they shut down mtb operations.

C-Rex

Come get in on this action once the snow gets here....

Definitely. Although, my jib skills leave a lot to be desired. That may change this year though, since I just picked up a Lib T.Rice pro model. My first board with rocker. :cool:

Huck_It_Baby

Check out north shore style mountain bike trail features like ladder drops and wall rides. They work just as well with snow on them. You should be able to find something on these here interwebs on building techniques. I used to hit some of the mountain bike ladder drops at Catamount in the winter, but I'm not sure if they're still there since they shut down mtb operations.

That's actually exactly what I'm going for! The wall rides and drops you see on mtn bike tracks. I will look into their building techniques, thanks!

C-Rex

planb420

Do what I did and use fallen trees and such, they offer a great variety of shapes and sizes that can be used in an ton of ways. Its saves you money for rails and boxes, and its also nature friendly re-using it to build your features. Its also cool to be able to just leave it behind when your done for other to stumble upon and enjoy!

I also finally settled on a name for my park....Welcome to "Knotty Jib Park" Located in Winsted, CT
1.jpg

dlague

We have 3 rails, made with PVC, a couple ramps/jumps and I just built a 4 x4 box now working on the ramps for that.

This was all originally built for summer use with outdoor carpet. Now it also gets used in the winter until the snow gets too deep.

Huck_It_Baby

We have 3 rails, made with PVC, a couple ramps/jumps and I just built a 4 x4 box now working on the ramps for that.

This was all originally built for summer use with outdoor carpet. Now it also gets used in the winter until the snow gets too deep.

Pics?

Huck_It_Baby

I didn't build this but found it in the Stowe side country. Looks a lot more impressive in person but you guys might dig it and for construction discussion it seems appropriate.

The cross branch was held together with some pretty small rope...a little sketchy if you ask me. I feel like there is a better way to do this. I'm sure once it snows I'll go out and hit it anyway though.

StoweRail1.jpg
StoweRail2.jpg

planb420

i didn't build this but found it in the stowe side country. Looks a lot more impressive in person but you guys might dig it and for construction discussion it seems appropriate.

The cross branch was held together with some pretty small rope...a little sketchy if you ask me. I feel like there is a better way to do this. I'm sure once it snows i'll go out and hit it anyway though.

View attachment 9555
View attachment 9556

i'd hit that (pun totally intended)

planb420

Knotty Jib Park is OPEN for business!

Sent from my DROID4 using AlpineZone mobile app

Attachments

• 1385042074069.jpg
    1385042074069.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 48
  • 1385042087675.jpg
    1385042087675.jpg