• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bad Rumor Today at Alta (Sale of Interest in Snowbird to Cumming)

thetrailboss

Staff member
Powdr already offers free skiing at their other resorts but it's only 3 days. After that you get a 20% discount I believe.

edit: From the K website.
[h=2]Unlimited Pass[/h] Valid at Killington Resort and Pico Mountain all season long. Plus, get free skiing and riding at six additional resorts throughout the country!

• New this year, Unlimited Adult, Senior and 29-below passholders receive THREE FREE DAYS at each of these five Powdr Resorts: Park City Mountain Resort in Utah, Boreal Mountain Resort in California, Copper Mountain Resort in Colorado, Mt Bachelor Resort in Oregon and Las Vegas Ski and Snowboard Resort in Nevada.
    • Additional days will be available at 20% off window rates.
    • Free days cannot be used December 27-31, 2014 and during Mt Bachelor's summer opening after Memorial Day.
    • Not valid with Super Senior Unlimited Pass.
    • Killington Season Pass will need to be presented at the other resorts’ ticket window each day for a lift ticket.
  • Unlimited Youth and Child passholders receive UNLIMITED FREE DAYS at the same five sister resorts.
    • There are no blackout dates for youth passholders but offer is not valid during Mt Bachelor's summer opening after Memorial Day.
    • Killington Season Pass will need to be presented at the other resorts’ ticket window each day for a lift ticket.

3 free days? That's weak sauce......

snoseek

Sounds like it will continue to be run as an independent resort which in my eyes is a positive as LCC is already a busy place.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I read it as 3 free days at each resort, so 5 resorts = 15 free days. How many free days at other Utah resorts did you get with your Snowbird pass?

9 total. But they are not under common ownership. I'd expect POWDR to offer a product that gives access to all its resorts. Akin to the ASC passes. But then again ASC is long gone.

thetrailboss

Staff member
How does Boyne, Peaks & Intrawest stack up? Not much better except Boyne, but you have to stay at their lodging.

Peaks has a full access NE product.

Again, I'm harkening back to the ASC days oh so long ago. And I'm also probably POWDR hating ;) From what I've been seeing and hearing the K locals are much happier.

steamboat1

Peaks has a full access NE product.

Again, I'm harkening back to the ASC days oh so long ago. And I'm also probably POWDR hating ;) From what I've been seeing and hearing the K locals are much happier.

Powdr offers full access to the two ski areas they own in the northeast also. Having access to two side by side ski areas is not a bad deal either. The positive vibe coming from K skiers has nothing to do with Powdr & everything to do with Mike S. K skiers are still crying for a replacement of the South Ridge chair & a HSQ for Snowdon not to mention the interconnect & K village. Mike S has nothing to do with those decisions, Powdr does.

Back on topic. Heard a rumor Cummings is looking to buy Alta...:eek:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Powdr offers full access to the two ski areas they own in the northeast also. Having access to two side by side ski areas is not a bad deal either. The positive vibe coming from K skiers has nothing to do with Powdr & everything to do with Mike S. K skiers are still crying for a replacement of the South Ridge chair & a HSQ for Snowdon not to mention the interconnect & K village. Mike S has nothing to do with those decisions, Powdr does.

Back on topic. Heard a rumor Cummings is looking to buy Alta...:eek:

Yeah Alta will never sell.....the Quinney and Laughlin families are quite involved.

POWDR's problem is that they just don't have enough money. They don't OWN anything....they lease the areas they operate. And then they run things on a shoestring budget as you know all too well.

Last edited:

DoublePlanker

I don't see how they could ruin Snowbird. The terrain is what it is = amazing! They can't ruin the terrain. I suppose they could increase the price, reduce the hours, make the service worse.

drjeff

I don't see how they could ruin Snowbird. The terrain is what it is = amazing! They can't ruin the terrain. I suppose they could increase the price, reduce the hours, make the service worse.

With all the environmental restrictions and scrutiny that Snowbird is and has been under (remember in the Master 2002 Olympic plan the Downhill and Super G courses were supposed to be at Snowbird until a multitude of environmental cases were brought against them and they ultimately went to Snowbasin where far less environmental "road blocks" were likely to occur, I doubt that too much "crazy" stuff could happen to the physical plant that is Snowbird and their goals for terrain expansion and the long planned summit lodge will likely continue.

The big variable is the philosophy of season length.... Only time will tell

thetrailboss

Staff member

Yeah as said season length is what is my biggest concern.

They CAN improve on snowmaking and grooming. I think that they are just not used to having such dry seasons.

doublediamond

They chose to rebuild rather than replace the pumps, and one failed on its very first day of (re)use.

Was the failed pump actually a rebuilt one? They rebuilt 9 of 10. I imagine it's the one they skimped on the rebuild that failed.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Cumming has said that POWDR has nothing to do with Snowbird...and he disputes a claim that it was a "hedge" if they lost PCMR:

the Cumming family's recent purchase of a majority interest in Snowbird Ski and Summer Resort. The deal did not involve Powdr Corp. Cumming said the Snowbird deal is separated from the dispute with Talisker Land Holdings, LLC. He said his family has longtime ties to Snowbird. The deal involved the Cumming family and the family of Snowbird's co-founder, Dick Bass.
A Wall Street analyst who covers the publicly traded Vail Resorts recently issued a report indicating the Snowbird deal is a hedge by the Cumming family based on the lawsuit against Talisker Land Holdings, LLC. Cumming disagreed with the analyst assessment.

"We would have bought Snowbird regardless of what is happening. We would have invested with the Bass family regardless of what's happening over here. It's unfortunate timing. Does it hedge us? I don't know. Have them call me and explain to me how we hedged, and we'll see if I agree," Cumming said.

Cumming said it would have been difficult for Powdr Corp. to justify a "major acquisition" like the Snowbird deal amid the uncertainty with PCMR.

In other news the Tram is down possibly for "several months" because it needs a new transmission.

steamboat1

In other news the Tram is down possibly for "several months" because it needs a new transmission.

That's got to hurt. I'd imagine they do a pretty brisk business with tram rides during the summer. I know they also run the Peruvian chair during the summer but I can't imagine that being nearly as popular.

thetrailboss

Staff member
That's got to hurt. I'd imagine they do a pretty brisk business with tram rides during the summer. I know they also run the Peruvian chair during the summer but I can't imagine that being nearly as popular.

The Tram is a draw. There are enough folks in the area to make it work and enough summer business and interest that it gets a good crowd. In my experience there are always at least 15 or 20 folks each run in the summer even on a slow midweek day. Not a huge crowd, but a steady stream to cover costs. It gets more business in the offseason than the Cannon or Jay trams I imagine. And for those who have not been, the Snowbird Tram DOES deliver the goods and is a very nice lift.

The Peruvian is a nice ride. It is a long chair and offers a different perspective. The fact that it ends lower is an issue because there are no facilities, per se, at the end of the lift...just the tunnel to Mineral Basin. And it is quite a steep hike up to the summit from there. But it does not have the cache of the Tram.

I learned this info a couple weeks ago when I was forced to endure a free night with a nice meal at the Cliff Lodge for my wife's work. I chatted with a few employees and just asked what the deal was.

mbedle

Its got to hurt business, but unfortunately is part of business for resorts that operate gondulas during the summer months. Stowe is going through this, this summer with their rehab project (new able and redone cabins).