• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bell ski in catskills

tnt1234

I was wondering about the Tomahawk cliffs and why they don't trim them anymore.

tnt1234

So people don't ski them..or at least think twice.
Yeah, but it has a trail sign at the top of the cliffs. And in years past it was definitely maintained and skiable. Just seems like they didn't bother weed whacking it for the last few summers.

Bandit2941

Yeah, but it has a trail sign at the top of the cliffs. And in years past it was definitely maintained and skiable. Just seems like they didn't bother weed whacking it for the last few summers.
Just like they didn’t bother cutting up the down trees on cathedral brook. Or cleaning the lifts so they can open on time during a snow storm. Or mowing the brush off some of the tops of trails. Or having early season volunteer glade clearing like they used to. We cut dreamcatcher a few years back; that was all volunteers and one employee with a chain saw.

Its a real shame what they‘ve done to the place in just a matter of a few years. But don’t worry, it’s not just skiers that are unhappy. Many experienced employees have left due to the treatment received, and morale is at an all time low. Belle used to be a lot of fun, these days not so much. Right now there are actually two runs with bumps on them which is more than there has been. Maybe they’re listening? I doubt it, they’ll probably be mowed down at the first sight of any unfavorable weather. But I can only hope they’ll stay. It seems like every week there’s another story out about things getting screwed up there.

Upper lift line used to be maintained and open. It was a lot of fun. That was back when Belleayre had a variety of terrain to suit all levels of skiers and advertised that. I last skied it probably 3 or 4 years ago and the brush was quite high/thick then.

tnt1234

They are opening up a few glades. Seems impossible Dream Cathcher isn't skiable right now....

Web site lists a lot of trails with moguls which I think is their shorthand for 'ungroomed' May or may not have actual moguls....

kingslug

But its a good place to escape crowds..at times. Gets more snow than Hunter. Last year after that big dump I skied the whole place..sometimes up to my knees..with weeds. Has it changed..yup. Everything has changed.

Bandit2941

But its a good place to escape crowds..at times. Gets more snow than Hunter. Last year after that big dump I skied the whole place..sometimes up to my knees..with weeds. Has it changed..yup. Everything has changed.
Absolutely, lack of crowds and great powder skiing when there’s a storm is still the draw. They can’t really mess up natural snow.

The early season storms like the one we had this year provide days of untracked powder skiing that you certainly can’t get at Hunter.

JimG.

Staff member
I skied there yesterday. VERY crowded all lots were pretty full. Gondola a total shitshow because Tomahawk closed due to lack of staff.

But HSQ 6 and 7 were open so I skied over there most of the day. Belleayre run had some decent bumps covering the upper headwall which were fun with the new snow. Tongora and Utsayantha were both open natural snow only both were great. In fact everything over there was good. Trees still not ready yet Winnisook glade very bony even flat stuff like Belleayre glade very bony still although the top part skied very well. Yahoo was closed but looked fine so I tried it out. Good snow for the most part but several really slick sections that I avoided but would have caused mayhem with the general public. At day's end I had to ride the gondi so I decided to ski Dot to Cayuga and check out Dreamcatcher. Saw a pair of skis and poles didn't think much about that until I heard shouting. Completely overlooked the closed sign and a patroller belonged to those skis. Doh! Anyway I started to skate back and he asked what I was doing so I told him. He was extremely cool about it and said to go ahead but that it was still bony. He was right and I just bagged it and called it a day.

tnt1234

I skied there yesterday. VERY crowded all lots were pretty full. Gondola a total shitshow because Tomahawk closed due to lack of staff.

But HSQ 6 and 7 were open so I skied over there most of the day. Belleayre run had some decent bumps covering the upper headwall which were fun with the new snow. Tongora and Utsayantha were both open natural snow only both were great. In fact everything over there was good. Trees still not ready yet Winnisook glade very bony even flat stuff like Belleayre glade very bony still although the top part skied very well. Yahoo was closed but looked fine so I tried it out. Good snow for the most part but several really slick sections that I avoided but would have caused mayhem with the general public. At day's end I had to ride the gondi so I decided to ski Dot to Cayuga and check out Dreamcatcher. Saw a pair of skis and poles didn't think much about that until I heard shouting. Completely overlooked the closed sign and a patroller belonged to those skis. Doh! Anyway I started to skate back and he asked what I was doing so I told him. He was extremely cool about it and said to go ahead but that it was still bony. He was right and I just bagged it and called it a day.
Looks like a decent chance of ra good storm monday/tuesday. Should take care of the rest of the glades.

Jersey Skier

So, "if" this storm materializes next week, would you ski Bell for around $60 for Hunter for free?

Bandit2941

My wife was there yesterday too and had a similar report. I was able to get there for just a little while Tuesday afternoon when it was snowing. I just lapped lift 6 since I didn’t have much time but I was able to get 8 runs in after starting at 2:40, last ride at 3:59.

Tongora was my first run, closed at the time but skied well. Did a lower Cathedral and that was super fun, soft powder bumps. The bumps on Belleayre were fun, hit it 3 runs in a row. I hope they leave them! For my last run I skated up to Onteora then decided to keep going to Yahoo. There was one track down it when I got there. I skied the right side tree line, it was really good, run of the day for me. Didn’t find any slick spots but I mostly stayed off the whales.

Agree that the woods are still boney but probably won’t take too much more to get them in good shape. Hopefully next week!

tnt1234

So, "if" this storm materializes next week, would you ski Bell for around $60 for Hunter for free?
Kind of a tough call I think. I like Hunter's terrain, and if it's mid week....if you knew Annapurna was open - looks like it's not now - I might go there for $0.

I wonder if Platty will open....

tnt1234

Everying was fantastic yesterday. Good, but not as good today.

This storm is gonna make conditions unreal all over the catskills. And the late week storm seems to be shifting from rain/snow to all snow...

Jersey Skier

Will be there Wednesday. Hopefully there is still sme snow left.

Are both lodges open?