• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Belleayre and NYS Budget Cuts

ComeBackMudPuddles

Except for over-the-top Hunter fanatics, I don't see how anyone could be happy with a reduction of services at any ski area.

Next thing you know, the state will target Gore and Whiteface!

dmc

Except for over-the-top Hunter fanatics, I don't see how anyone could be happy with a reduction of services at any ski area.

Next thing you know, the state will target Gore and Whiteface!

Yo ComeBMPuddles..

I AM NOT HAPPY WITH THE REDUCTION OF SERVICES!!!!!

I have friends living from Kingston to Flieshmans.... Nobody wants Bell to close... And it wont...

I am upset with the mismanagegment of my tax $$$..

dmc

From the article..

Skier visits have grown from 70,000 in 1995 to more than 175,000 skiers with visitors from all over the world

Why would the state mess with something so good..they should continue to operate Belleayre and then sell it..

Because it's bleeding $$$$ in a bad economic times...
Blame out current president...

We've seen reduction in service at Hunter as well...

Last edited:

dmc

While I understand your calls for an even playing field, you spend so much time talking about how Hunter and Belleayre are two completely different ski experiences attracting different kinds of people (I agree), then claim that Belleayre has seriously cut into Hunter's market share. If prices were exactly the same, do you think people who were skiing/riding at Belleayre would suddenly become Hunter regulars and vice versa?

You can't have it both ways. At the end of the day, will people will go where it's cheaper or where they like the terrain/vibe?

i don't want it both ways... At the end of my day I want a level playing field for businesses to compete...

I believe that people that ski Belleayre regularly are not fans of Hunter for some reason. Some just don't like the vibe.... Some just aren't good enough to enjoy the more expert terrain and blast Hunter to make themselves seem like better skiers.

But this aint gonna happen...

I think it the prices were the same - Hunter would be a better place to go to... Only becuase it offers more variety of Terrain... and separate beginner area... Great lodging(not paid for with my tax $$).

dmc

When was the last time Hunter added a new lift?

Like 10 years ago... They put the B chair in over the terrain park...
And moved the G chair....

Hunter seems to do things linearly... One project finishes.... Pay it off - move to the next...

Trekchick

Looks like others started the thread over there way earlier this morning. Also looks like the posters at EpicSki understand how the closing of a ski mountain is a very bad thing....

You will notice that I posted your post in that thread.
Thanks for the info. Happy to spread anything that can help out.

As for the Hunter Fanatics, they seem to be few and far between.

dmc

As for the Hunter Fanatics, they seem to be few and far between.

i love Hunter... Make no mistake... That why I live there... It's a wonderful place to live surrounded by a giant park... I love it!!!

Don't think for one second I do not want Bell to fail...

Please believe me... Thats not my intention...

I am approaching this as a resident of the Catskills and a NYS tax payer...

Let me ask you...
Would you be happy if your tax $$ was mismanaged?

skidbump

The whole system is broken and belleayre is an easy target.No US/State/Local government agency operates as a business they operate as a municipality and at least the mountain brings in money unlike the rest of the state that just spends the money.If you want reform than it should be unilateral, not pick and chose.All should be scrutinized all should be cut.But really if it generates revenue"break even or not"why would you want to cut it.I too pay taxes and the amount that is spent on recreation state wide is not the issue and we all know it .The ski area does not have the same amenities as Hunter or Windham so it doesn't warrant the same price for a lift ticket .So really how do you want to level the playing field...
Not only would closing/limited opening cost me a ski area it Will cost me my instructors job

i have no issue with hunter or its people and if belleayre closes then i guess it will be the area i ski.If i can ski the whole mountain at 1 i would guess i could at other.

Pat

dmc

TThe ski area does not have the same amenities as Hunter or Windham so it doesn't warrant the same price for a lift ticket .So really how do you want to level the playing field...

What amenities?

dmc

Your double negative above (Post #49) makes it seem like you do...

I get the vibe from your other posts, but you may want to edit it...

-w

Whatever... i dont want Bell to fail...

dmc

No he's being straight up honest and he bears no grudge against area and has skied/drank at belleayre

I really don't.... i have more of a grudge against people that associate me with Hunter and automatiaclly make assumptions...

SkiDork

Incorrect sir... Totally incorrect...

I was referring to the double negative. Go back and read your post again, you'll see what I mean.

I know that you DON'T want Bellair to fail. But your double negative made it sound the opposite... Just a minor nit. I'm with you. When I say I'm with you, I mean I'm WITH you...

my_blue_heaven.jpg