• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Best east skiing now (12/7)

El Hombre

Hi, first post here. I have a rare opportunity with the rest of my family going out of town to do a slightly farther, low-amenity road trip somewhere. I can drive Friday evening, spend the night somewhere cheap, ski Saturday, drive home Saturday. Home is the northern part of New York City.

I was thinking of going to Gore, spending the night in a cheap motel in Lake George or Glens Falls, or someplace, but only if conditions were really much better than the Catskills. Questions:

(1) Are the conditions at Gore significantly better to justify the longer trip past the Catskills?

(2) Are there other places in the northeast that have significantly better conditions than others? Let's say less than a 5-hour drive from the City? Weather forecasts suggest that southern Vermont might get a little snow Friday.

Thanks!

deadheadskier

Staff member
Right now coming from your location; I'd look at Killington, okemo, Stratton and mount snow in that order. Adjust based upon value you can get.

mriceyman

Killington u can print 2 fer 1 vouchers

Sent from my iPhone

El Hombre

Thanks for the quick replies. Killington is probably too far. Southern Vermont is skiing that much better than Gore/Catskills?

Bene288

Stratton had fantastic snow on Wednesday. Great coverage for this time of year.

Savemeasammy

For challenging terrain options, Killington is a no-brainer. Probably a 5ish hour drive without hideous ny Friday traffic considered! The other S. VT mountains would be fine for cruising. Enjoy the brief getaway!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ScottySkis

For challenging terrain options, Killington is a no-brainer. Probably a 5ish hour drive without hideous ny Friday traffic considered! The other S. VT mountains would be fine for cruising. Enjoy the brief getaway!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Take the Taconic Parkway never traffic 4.5 hours unless weather is bad then take the thur way.

ScottySkis

Killington u can print 2 fer 1 vouchers

Sent from my iPhone

It expires mid December.
Vermont mountains are better size then the Catskills for a weekend get trip Or drive an hour further then K to the Sugarbush both places get good natural snow and have excellent terrain.

mriceyman

Thanks, I'll be solo, though. Liftopia and Killington online are selling 1-days for $68, and Stratton for $52.
Go to k1 area and ull find someone to split it with.. Ur gona save someone and urself 34 bux

Sent from my iPhone

Bene288

The snow at Stratton was nice but if you want more challenging terrain then go to Killington. I thought the steepness of the trails open at Stratton was pretty weak.