• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Best Route From Northern NJ to Stowe?

x10003q

I question whether you've ever done the other route, as nobody would reasonably call 4, 22A, or 7 "back roads", or roads that you need to do anything close to as slow as 40mph on.

FWIW, the posted speed limits on all those roads is higher than 40mph, and I'm certainly doing no less than 55 or 60mph on any of them. Actually, if I'm doing 55mph on any of those three, you can assume I'm already "stuck" behind a truck.

The most "back roady" of them is 149, and even that I wouldnt really call a back road, unless you were born and raised in NYC. Plus you're only talking about 10 or 12 miles that you're on 149, and there again, even the posted speed limit is higher than 40mph.
I have only done it once. That was enough. There are fast sections but there are also lights. When I go to Killington I use Exit 20 on the Northway to 149 to 4. There are at least 6-8 lights before you get on the highway section of Rt 4. That is how you average 40mph even when the speed limit might be 55 and you might push to 65 or 70. While you are at those lights not moving I am maintaining speeds between 65-85 mph.

If you have a GPS reset the avg speed to zero at the end of Exit 20 off the Northway and check it when you get on 189. I think it will read around 40mph. Maybe I am wrong.

SkiDork

I have only done it once. That was enough. There are fast sections but there are also lights. When I go to Killington I use Exit 20 on the Northway to 149 to 4. There are at least 6-8 lights before you get on the highway section of Rt 4. That is how you average 40mph even when the speed limit might be 55 and you might push to 65 or 70. While you are at those lights not moving I am maintaining speeds between 65-85 mph.

If you have a GPS reset the avg speed to zero at the end of Exit 20 off the Northway and check it when you get on 189. I think it will read around 40mph. Maybe I am wrong.

but you're also going a bunch of extra miles

k123

Ok I'm pretty sure I'm going to take the 87 route, but still have a couple days to decide. Is any way particularly better for a Friday afternoon/night?

BenedictGomez

I have only done it once. That was enough. There are fast sections but there are also lights. When I go to Killington I use Exit 20 on the Northway to 149 to 4. There are at least 6-8 lights before you get on the highway section of Rt 4. That is how you average 40mph even when the speed limit might be 55 and you might push to 65 or 70. While you are at those lights not moving I am maintaining speeds between 65-85 mph..

So I was almost correct when I guessed you've never gone that way, as "once" is only 1 away from "never". As someone who's done the NJ to VT drive for many years and about a zillion times, I promise you you're wrong. Your taking 91 is both longer from New Jersey in terms of distance and time, as well as fuel cost. And we haven't even discussed the aspect of God forbid you should go your route during any time even remotely during rush hour. Horrible, horrible, advice from NJ.

x10003q

So I was almost correct when I guessed you've never gone that way, as "once" is only 1 away from "never"..
Whatever
As someone who's done the NJ to VT drive for many years and about a zillion times,
You might be the only one from this area
I promise you you're wrong. Your taking 91 is both longer from New Jersey in terms of distance and time, as well as fuel cost. And we haven't even discussed the aspect of God forbid you should go your route during any time even remotely during rush hour. Horrible, horrible, advice from NJ.
It is 20 miles longer.
Stopping and accelerating at multiple lights on your 92 miles of single lane will use up more fuel. The rush hour traffic could be a factor depending on what time you leave.

k123

On the route up 87 to 22a and 7 are there any good spots for a quick dinner (not including fast food)?