• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

best way to VT Friday

SKIQUATTRO

heading up to VT Friday..leaving Long Island around 10-11am...95 N has been a mess with summer road construction..thinking of either:

-684 to the Merritt to 91 N
-684 to 84 to 91 N
-NYS Thruway

thoughts, suggestions.....i havent been on any of the other routes this summer

4aprice

Be aware of I-87. Last weekend they were doing construction on the twin bridges on the Northway north of Albany. Quite the back up. Hoping they finish this before ski season. There is also a long term construction project between exits 23 and 24 on the Thruway. Wasn't bad last weekend but hit some major traffic there in the summer.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

SkiDork

Brewfest! I would have said 87 but who knows? You can certainly pick up 22 from 684 if 87 is bad with construction. I come home that way.

steamboat1

Over the Whitestone Bridge up the Hutchison River Pkwy to Cross County Pkwy for a short distance then pick up Sprain Pkwy N which turns into Taconic Pkwy. Take Taconic up to the last exit before toll (Chatam) pick up it's either rt 349 or 249 (can't remember) east to Rt.22 north (there is a short cut at Queechee Lake that's simple). Take 22 up to NY rt 7 east which will turn into VT. 279 if you stay straight & not turn on NY rt 7 towards Vt. rt.9. Vt. 279 will take you right into VT. 7 north which will take you right into Rutland, VT. I think you know your way from there.

You could also take the Hutchison Pkwy into I 684 to I 84 (west) which will lead you into Taconic Pkwy also if you want to avoid the lower Taconic. If you want to take the scenic route take Hutch to I 684. I 684 will turn into rt.22 & you can take rt. 22 all the way up. Rt. 22 is the most direct route mileage wise but you can get slowed down in towns. I can make K in 4 hrs 40 min. from the back end of Brooklyn on Jamaica Bay using the Taconic.

Very rarely do I ever use I 91 or or the Thruway/Northway combo unless it's snowing which I don't think you'll have to worry about this weekend.

ScottySkis

Over the Whitestone Bridge up the Hutchison River Pkwy to Cross County Pkwy for a short distance then pick up Sprain Pkwy N which turns into Taconic Pkwy. Take Taconic up to the last exit before toll (Chatam) pick up it's either rt 349 or 249 (can't remember) east to Rt.22 north (there is a short cut at Queechee Lake that's simple). Take 22 up to NY rt 7 east which will turn into VT. 279 if you stay straight & not turn on NY rt 7 towards Vt. rt.9. Vt. 279 will take you right into VT. 7 north which will take you right into Rutland, VT. I think you know your way from there.

You could also take the Hutchison Pkwy into I 684 to I 84 (west) which will lead you into Taconic Pkwy also if you want to avoid the lower Taconic. If you want to take the scenic route take Hutch to I 684. I 684 will turn into rt.22 & you can take rt. 22 all the way up. Rt. 22 is the most direct route mileage wise but you can get slowed down in towns. I can make K in 4 hrs 40 min. from the back end of Brooklyn on Jamaica Bay using the Taconic.

Very rarely do I ever use I 91 or or the Thruway/Northway combo unless it's snowing which I don't think you'll have to worry about this weekend.

+1 this is bests way least mileage and no traffic.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

SKIQUATTRO

on a winter Friday nights (we go every weekend mid dec-early apr) i leave long island (locust valley-north shore) at 7pm and roll into the condo at the base of pico in 4hr 30 min....thanks, may consider the taconic..

steamboat1

on a winter Friday nights (we go every weekend mid dec-early apr) i leave long island (locust valley-north shore) at 7pm and roll into the condo at the base of pico in 4hr 30 min....thanks, may consider the taconic..

Ahh a weekend warrior, I was one for many years. I'm now semi- retired & ski 95% of the time during the week.

If you decide to take the Taconic just watch your speed. I usually set my cruise at 63-64mph & haven't been bothered (speed limit is 55mph). Smokey is usually all over that road so be careful. That 4:40 time is going at that speed to the K parking lot.

SKIQUATTRO

my youngest tends to get car sick, the Taconic usually isnt a friendly road for that condition....

jrmagic

+2

Right now there may be a backup in Upper Westchester as they closed the north bound bridge crossing the Croton resevoir so the south bound bridge and roadway is shaying all the traffic for a few miles. Given the time you mentioned it shouldn't be too bad but you coudl always start on 684 to 84 and take teh Taconic from there. Slightly longer mileage but could be shorter while the bridge is still closed.