• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big Burke announcement

thetrailboss

Staff member
So much to be said. Calling peeps out on social media. Pretending that conditions warrant closing when only a few days ago they were saying how great they were. Not to mention, if you want peeps to book rooms for April of next year, don't go on about how bad this spring is.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Yep. Exactly.

faQ

Has anybody been to Jay Peak? I am wondering if they have workers in t shirts?

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

VTKilarney

Yet another morning waking up to fresh snow, or as Ary refers to it, "t-shirt weather with bare spots." :p

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1428576747.268527.jpg

thetrailboss

Staff member
So East Burke is getting a new QSports Bar:

Tamarack Pub & Grill will remain open these next two weekends, then close for summer cleaning and preparation. Tamarack Pub and Grill will re-open Thursday, May 7th with our new sports bar theme and plenty of specials to go with it!

River19

So East Burke is getting a new QSports Bar:

They can't figure out what they want to be......tapas, brunch, Mexican, Pizza, steakhouse, seafood....total identity crisis.

I guess there are worse things than a sports bar.....of course in Jr's mind he's going...."I already have the TVs so I don't have to spend any money"......

VTKilarney

I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, it makes a lot of sense to change the space into something that avoids direct competition. From what I have heard, the Publick House has really put the screws to the Tamarack Grill. I don't see that changing.

On the other hand, they are changing the space into a bar just in time for biking season when the Tiki Bar is about to open. So essentially they are changing into something that they will still have direct competition with.

The best solution is to improve quality and service, not to put pool tables in.

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
They can't figure out what they want to be......tapas, brunch, Mexican, Pizza, steakhouse, seafood....total identity crisis.

I guess there are worse things than a sports bar.....of course in Jr's mind he's going...."I already have the TVs so I don't have to spend any money"......

Sports Bar with plenty of techno music I'm sure.....

deadheadskier

Staff member
Why put money into it at all? I'm assuming the hotel will have the main year round restaurant once open. At that point the Tamarack will likely be closed 9 months out of the year. I don't see the mountain supporting two full service restaurants in the off seasons or summer even with the hotel.

VTKilarney

Why put money into it at all? I'm assuming the hotel will have the main year round restaurant once open. At that point the Tamarack will likely be closed 9 months out of the year. I don't see the mountain supporting two full service restaurants in the off seasons or summer even with the hotel.
My assumption is that this is part of the reason it is being converted. Their plan is to have one full service restaurant (in the hotel) and one bar (at the Sherborne Lodge).

thetrailboss

Staff member

You're thinking too logically, DHS. ;)

WoodCore

Maybe it's time to bring in John Taffer and perform a "Bar Rescue"

deadheadskier

Staff member
My assumption is that this is part of the reason it is being converted. Their plan is to have one full service restaurant (in the hotel) and one bar (at the Sherborne Lodge).

Maybe.....until the crickets start chirping. It takes a significant critical mass of customers to support two locations. Weekends in winter makes sense, but in the future I wouldn't be surprised to see the Tamarack used primarily as a function space when the hotel is done.

Well........until the masses come for the tennis facilities that is.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Maybe.....until the crickets start chirping. It takes a significant critical mass of customers to support two locations. Weekends in winter makes sense, but in the future I wouldn't be surprised to see the Tamarack used primarily as a function space when the hotel is done.

Well........until the masses come for the tennis facilities that is.

It's Q tennis played with Q rackets.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm an idiot. The Qzone sports pub is a precursor to the Northeast Kingdom's premier indoor tennis facility that's soon to open.

Totally makes sense now.

xwhaler

Still think an apres bar or lunch spot mid mtn makes sense. I actually like the Tamarack but having someplace closer to Mid Burke and the hotel seems better to me.
I probably missed it in this massive thread but has a formal plan/location been announced yet for the Bear Den?

thetrailboss

Staff member
Still think an apres bar or lunch spot mid mtn makes sense. I actually like the Tamarack but having someplace closer to Mid Burke and the hotel seems better to me.
I probably missed it in this massive thread but has a formal plan/location been announced yet for the Bear Den?

There is no plan.