• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big Burke announcement

deadheadskier

Staff member
It would appear that Bill has nothing to do with Burke. If he does, all this business comedy reflects very poorly on him.

VTKilarney

So weeks before opening they need a:
- general manager
- food and beverage manager
- ski school manager
- guest relations manager
- marketing coordinator

(face palm)

VTKilarney

Ironically, if you look at Liftopia they seem to be discounting pretty heavily to get some cash flow. Even holidays are fairly significantly discounted.

thetrailboss

Staff member
So weeks before opening they need a:
- general manager
- food and beverage manager
- ski school manager
- guest relations manager
- marketing coordinator

(face palm)

They need A LOT more than that: http://www.skiburke.com/jobs/

Pretty much every job you can imagine is available.

And before Q retention rate was something like 90%.

zeke

New motto: "When they build it, no one will come."

speaking of building. is progress still being made on the hotel? and does everyone still believe that this is a good idea? it seems to be an ill-conceived (for this mountain) design quickly thrown together to meet some EB-5 deadline being managed, i assume, by the same people who have brought nothing but laughable leadership and an obvious lack of understanding, knowledge or caring for the actual mountain and its history.

or am i alone on that and it's any beds are good beds at this point?

oldtimer

The body count on the webcam has been very low. Construction looks to be slow bell, maybe even stopped.

As for whether is is a good idea and right sized, under the current regime we will be lucky to get snow, lifts turning and a cup of coffee. Arrive early if you want to park because they have done nothing to replace the mid-burke lots. Urghhhhh- we see the same old movie again at Burke. Amateur hour.

speaking of building. is progress still being made on the hotel? and does everyone still believe that this is a good idea? it seems to be an ill-conceived (for this mountain) design quickly thrown together to meet some EB-5 deadline being managed, i assume, by the same people who have brought nothing but laughable leadership and an obvious lack of understanding, knowledge or caring for the actual mountain and its history.

or am i alone on that and it's any beds are good beds at this point?

VTKilarney

If construction has shifted to the interior, the webcam won't show as much action. The key is the number of trucks at the worksite, and I don't think the webcam shows where people park.

I am not convinced that the hotel will change the feel of Burke as much as people fear. The truth is that, even with the hotel, there will still be very few beds in the area. The mountain can easily absorb the extra people staying in the hotel.

I've always said that I want the mountain to be profitable - or at least to break even. The hotel could be an important part of that.

My biggest fear, knowing that Stenger stated this past Spring that Burke was only 25% funded, is that the hotel will sit half-finished. But I have not seen indications that this will happen. Until I do I remain optimistic.

thetrailboss

Staff member
If construction has shifted to the interior, the webcam won't show as much action. The key is the number of trucks at the worksite, and I don't think the webcam shows where people park.

I am not convinced that the hotel will change the feel of Burke as much as people fear. The truth is that, even with the hotel, there will still be very few beds in the area. The mountain can easily absorb the extra people staying in the hotel.

I've always said that I want the mountain to be profitable - or at least to break even. The hotel could be an important part of that.

My biggest fear, knowing that Stenger stated this past Spring that Burke was only 25% funded, is that the hotel will sit half-finished. But I have not seen indications that this will happen. Until I do I remain optimistic.

I, too, initially was concerned that things had slowed down. From my personal observations last Monday, there were not many trucks there and the activity was largely inside the building and out of sight from Mid-Burke. There certainly were not 100's or people working....my best guestimate would be 20-50 or so....maybe.

MEtoVTSkier

Right. Only those couple lots off of the access road. The lot in front of MidBurke is completely gone.

As I would be willing to bet that Mid-Burke Lodge will be too early next summer. Almost be willing to bet that they won't want anyone parking mid-mountain, that isn't going to be actually staying in the Hotel.

The Sherburne Lodge area will never handle the mid-Burke crowd, nor will the mid-Burke crowd handle the Sherburne Lodge. The visual of a race day/a powder day/a sunny day/etc with hotel guests only at mid-Burke and everyone else below......

thetrailboss

Staff member
So I said that I would update the thread on things that I learned/saw on my visit to the NEK last week. Here's another installment.

Folks here are all in agreement that the "Q" marketing thing has been a big mistake and looks dumb. Q-2 is apparently undeterred. During the past few months he made an effort to rename the physical mountain "Q Burke Mountain" officially. That did not get too far.

When that did not work, he contacted local merchants and told them that any "Burke" merchandise that they sell, independent of the mountain, must be changed to "Q Burke Mountain." For example, a local potter who makes mugs with an image of the mountain from Darling Hill, has been told that he can't use "Burke Mountain" as the label...it has to be "Q Burke Mountain." Post cards that are taken by local photographers and show Burke Mountain from Lyndonville? It has to be Q Burke Mountain.

:roll:

All you can do is laugh.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
When that did not work, he contacted local merchants and told them that any "Burke" merchandise that they sell, independent of the mountain, must be changed to "Q Burke Mountain." For example, a local potter who makes mugs with an image of the mountain from Darling Hill, has been told that he can't use "Burke Mountain" as the label...it has to be "Q Burke Mountain." Post cards that are taken by local photographers and show Burke Mountain from Lyndonville? It has to be Q Burke Mountain.

:roll:

All you can do is laugh.

Screw that...
I'm pretty sure he can't force anyone to do that. "Burke Mountain" is a physical feature that cannot be copyrighted.

That said, it is supposed to snow tonight and tomorrow! :snow:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Screw that...
I'm pretty sure he can't force anyone to do that. "Burke Mountain" is a physical feature that cannot be copyrighted.

That said, it is supposed to snow tonight and tomorrow! :snow:

Agree. And like the segue. It is warm and dry out here :sadwalk: