• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big Burke announcement

VTKilarney

Okay. I just watched the video.

The new marketing director blamed the one year delay on... the weather??????? Wow. That took some guts. Apparently LSC students have yet to have a class on asking follow up questions.

MEtoVTSkier

When the hotel is finished, the owners plan to take down the Mid-Burke lodge, but until then, the popular spot will remain open.

First they were going to move the Willoughby Quad, now they are going to sell it.... First they were going to save the Bear's Den, now they are going to............

faQ

First they were going to move the Willoughby Quad, now they are going to sell it.... First they were going to save the Bear's Den, now they are going to............

Seriously, It's hard for me to imagine moving mid-Burke lodge.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

MEtoVTSkier

Yeah, I don't think anyone expects them to move the whole lodge, just save (carefully dis-assemble interior of and re-construct elsewhere) Bear's Den...

thetrailboss

Staff member
Yeah, I don't think anyone expects them to move the whole lodge, just save (carefully dis-assemble interior of and re-construct elsewhere) Bear's Den...

I'm still surprised that neither MidBurke nor the Poma are on some historic registry considering that they are both 60 years old, were built partially using state money, and have historic significance. I'd laugh if someone from the NEK delegation in Montpelier slipped in a provision to a bill providing that both are historic structures and can't be razed :lol:

Big Wave Dave

I'm still surprised that neither MidBurke nor the Poma are on some historic registry considering that they are both 60 years old, were built partially using state money, and have historic significance. I'd laugh if someone from the NEK delegation in Montpelier slipped in a provision to a bill providing that both are historic structures and can't be razed :lol:

just what we need, another New Deal effort getting in the way of business!

if your so driven try these guys, note under their goals "preservation of CCC built structures. Thats the Bear Den! and the fire road and all the lean to's and warming huts....no lack of CCC buildings across VT. beware what you wish for :x!

http://www.ccclegacy.org/goals.html

thetrailboss

Staff member
just what we need, another New Deal effort getting in the way of business!

if your so driven try these guys, note under their goals "preservation of CCC built structures. Thats the Bear Den! and the fire road and all the lean to's and warming huts....no lack of CCC buildings across VT. beware what you wish for :x!

http://www.ccclegacy.org/goals.html

Oh trust me the CCC issues has already arisen with Burke. Go back to about 1997 or so when they proposed the work on the Dippers. The State required them to relocate the ENTIRE pavilion and several "historic" fireplaces to where they are now. Other trail work has required them to preserve and work around CCC structures. Look at Upper Bear Den.

BenedictGomez

Organic hay? As opposed to the serious plague of inorganic hay of course.

Tax write-off I'm guessing.

EDIT: Apparently it's another business they want to start.

Quiros has founded more than a dozen businesses and involved himself with many others. Korean biotech firm AnC Bio is planning to locate an American headquarters in Newport, financed through EB-5. Flight Design Americas Inc. is a company Quiros formed to purchase the light plane manufacturer he and Stenger were already planning to bring to the Newport State Airport. Ariel Quiros is the sole director of Q.Resorts, which owns both Jay Peak and Q Burke Mountain ski areas. Not that all his ventures have been successful. Quiros is almost sheepish when he describes QBall, a firm he started to invent a soccer ball with advertising panels on the surface. Likewise, Quiros says, Q Mirror, a motion-activated mirror that reverts to an electronic image when the viewer walks away, faltered after initial success. Quiros says his greatest letdown to date is Techno Braille, a braille typeface made of epoxy he claims to have invented and that he hopes to establish a market for yet. Still in the wings are the Quiros Family Farm Inc., and Q Development LLC. His business track record is not without its scars or near misses. He lost his seat on the board of Bioheart Inc. after AnC Bio failed to make the second installment in a $4 million investment. A South Florida Business Journal article pointed to AnC’s financial hardship after the tsunami in Japan hurt its business partners. The story suggested the break was not irreparable.

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

Along the same lines as organic maple syrup

Oh, that drives me nuts. I cant help but point it out whenever I see it.

Can I just say that the new Vermont Maple grading system is plain DUMB?

I only noticed this a few weeks ago.

After looking into it, I've decided the entire point of the change was to eliminate the term, "Grade B", since that denotes an inferiority in the consumers mind. I don't care what cock & bull story Vermont invented for the change in terminology, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. You cant pee on my leg and tell me it's raining, Vermont!

VTKilarney

Can anyone explain to me why they kept "Grade A" when everything seems to fall within "Grade A" now?

Syrup.jpg

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Add to this that the new fancy grade is nearly impossible to make. It is lighter than the old fancy with almost no color. I think that may be that way so whatever Fancy that is made can be sold for huge $.