• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big Sky

hub8

That is very interesting. Alta by chance?
I was a bit sheepish chatting with SLC locals on Alta and Brighton lifts around MLK weekend. But they were all super friendly and happy to share beta on easy and fun glades for my son and I.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

thetrailboss

Staff member
I was a bit sheepish chatting with SLC locals on Alta and Brighton lifts around MLK weekend. But they were all super friendly and happy to share beta on easy and fun glades for my son and I.

Yeah, unfortunately IKON is a four letter word around here. Whenever I see folks I quietly tell them not to mention their IKON pass status. What is unfortunate is that Alterra and the other resorts have created this hostility and other issues and seem to want to avoid responsibility for the issues.

BenedictGomez

I skied Deer Valley a few days earlier this year, and the locals there definitely weren't in love with IKON. Including some who were ironically using their IKON days at Deer Valley.

Zand

Also have a car rental question...provided I end up deciding not to go to Big Sky, I can save a couple hundred dollars by renting a car instead of an SUV since Jackson might as well be Iowa. Do rental companies frown upon folding the back seat down so the skis can be put in the trunk? If not do they even have cars with ski racks?

FBGM

Big Sky was still a bit low tide and sharky few days back. Jackson beats big sky hands down. Big Sky has more room and big uphill capacity but you’re not doing 4000’ vert tram laps.

Big Sky has some good hike to terrain and stuff off tram. But fuck that tram and 45 min waits to ski wind blown shark infested wind slid snow.

Jackson must have double amount of snow as big sky. Also nothing to do at big Sky. Place is boring besides skiing. Jackson got town and bars and cowboys if you’re into that broke back style.

Jackson better then Big Sky. Final decision.

FBGM

I skied Deer Valley a few days earlier this year, and the locals there definitely weren't in love with IKON. Including some who were ironically using their IKON days at Deer Valley.

The people at Buck complaining about IKON are grumpy locals that probably got a shop pass to ski there. If you buy a full blown Buck pass and ski DV like it should be skied, you dont care about IKON people. Not much has changed except for a few busier weekend days but it’s still best of best. Now best of best in some eyes is different. I like my Gucci shit and my fancy lunch and my feet rub and not having to take my own boots off. That’s what’s up. Ski terrain is mellow but there are good stuff to be found. It’s the experience. The experience is it all. And that’s why it’s 100.

Edd

Do rental companies frown upon folding the back seat down so the skis can be put in the trunk? If not do they even have cars with ski racks?

Oh, hell no, I wouldn’t worry about that at all. Fold away.

kingslug

If you want to see what Targhee looks like..check out youtube The Grand Adventure..my friend marc was just there and shot a whole episode on it..ive been there several times and this is the first time i have seen what the top looks like..

hub8

Chanced upon a powder day at Deer Valley with 30-40mph gust at the top. I had the pleasure of seeing a very well dressed woman trying to click into her bindings outside the mid mountain lodge. She pushed down hard on the binding and the heel popped right back up, and she lost her balance and fell backwards and hit the back of her helmet on the snow. Remember what happened to Natasha Richardson. I very politely pointed out that perhaps she should kick her boot heels on the binding to get rid of the compacted snow. She reply "I have skied for many years...". I said "sorry if i offended you" and went inside with my son.

I understand this could have happened anywhere, but why does it have to be DV. [emoji23] I was trying so hard not to stereotype clientele.

Powder day at DV was fun, as we pretty much had many sections of upper mountain trails all to ourselves, even when the lower mountain was rather crowded.

https://youtu.be/TwHGaF0q0YY

My youngest son and I, all alone, on bumped up Stein. He still seems a bit back-seated. Any advice?

Smellytele

Advise him to think of having a 20 dollar bill between his shin and his boot. That he wants to try to keep that $20 from falling out. It may get him to press his his shins and to be more forward.

Zand

Rented a car for 6 days for $180. Also looked at prices for SLC in April and the same car from the same agency was $335 for one less day. Dpnt understand why a tiny town in the middle of nowhere costs half of what a major city does but whatever.

hub8

Rented a car for 6 days for $180. Also looked at prices for SLC in April and the same car from the same agency was $335 for one less day. Dpnt understand why a tiny town in the middle of nowhere costs half of what a major city does but whatever.
I find rental car prices, especially SUV, high for the SLC market, especially consider that they don't even guarantee AWD. I tried Turo for the first time this year. Saved some money, the best part is you can be guaranteed a car with AWD or winter tires. Downside is that if you get stranded due to mechanical issues, you are kinda on you own.

Which city did you rent out of?

hub8

Pickup and drop off is of course dependent on the outfit you rent from, but mine was at economy lot at the airport, which was reasonably convenient.

FBGM

Looks like healthy snows this upcoming week for Big Sky and wasatch too

Wild weather out west. PNW just got ass fucked with 5”+ rain. Rivers running down middle of Alpy. Schweitzer had a 90+ mph wind - they pulled the plug. Big Sky got tram problems - heard maybe down for extended time or even season. Winds could be cranking 100+ there today. Wasatch will be all snow. Valleys gonna get more maybe then the resorts. Fuck that. Winds 80+ mph already at tops.

machski

Wild weather out west. PNW just got ass fucked with 5”+ rain. Rivers running down middle of Alpy. Schweitzer had a 90+ mph wind - they pulled the plug. Big Sky got tram problems - heard maybe down for extended time or even season. Winds could be cranking 100+ there today. Wasatch will be all snow. Valleys gonna get more maybe then the resorts. Fuck that. Winds 80+ mph already at tops.
You heard wrong on the Big Sky Tram, it is up and running.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app