• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bike Log 2010

BackLoafRiver

3/17 - Hallowell Reservoir -3.79 miles
3/19 - West Hartford Reservoir - 8.49 miles
4/07 - Hallowell Reservoir - 7.20 miles
4/11 - Hallowell Reservoir - 4 miles
4/14 - Hallowell Reservoir - 5 miles
4/22 - Saxon Hill - 5 miles
4/23 - Saxon Hill - 6.5 miles
4/24 - Sunny Hallow - 4.5 miles
4/26 - Hallowell Reservoir - 5 miles
4/30 - Bradbury State Park - 7.2 miles
5/2 - Hallowell Reservoir - 5 Miles
5/13 - Pine Ridge - 5 miles
5/14 - Pine Ridge - 6.5 miles
5/15 - Hallowell Reservoir - 6 miles
5/17 - Bradbury State Park - 7.1 miles
5/19 - UMaine Forrest - 7.5 miles
5/20 - UMaine Forrest - 5.3 miles
5/24 - Bradbury State Park - 5 miles
5/26 - Bradbury State Park - 7.8 miles
5/29 - Augusta Rail Trail - 14.25 miles
5/30 - Pine Ridge - 5.5 miles
6/2 - Hallowell Reservoir - 5.6 miles
6/11 - Pine Ridge - 6.45 miles
6/12 - Pine Ridge - 5.62 miles
6/16 - Bradbury State Park - 10.25 miles
6/18 - Bradbury State Park - 8.16 miles
6/22 - UMaine Forrest - 10.96 miles
6/27 - Bradbury State Park - 8.73 miles
7/1 - Bradbury State Park - 10.03 miles
7/2 - UMaine Forrest - 7.82 Miles
7/8 - Pine Ridge - 6.16 Miles
7/17 - Kingdom Trails - 15.20 miles
7/29 - Bradbury State Park - 8.6 miles
7/30 - Kingdom Trails - 18.5 miles
7/31 - Kingdom Trails - 12.95 miles
8/5 - Bradbury State Park - 7.3 miles
8/12 - UMaine Forest - 5.15 miles

Total = 283.26 miles

gorgonzola

broke 300 this weekend - 307.15. a month layoff in july takes its toll - amazing how quickly any sort of conditoning turns to sh!t, time to start riding more!

bvibert

Staff member
broke 300 this weekend - 307.15. a month layoff in july takes its toll - amazing how quickly any sort of conditoning turns to sh!t, time to start riding more!

300 is pretty good for taking a month off! I hear ya on the conditioning going to shit, I had to take a month off the end of June, early July last year.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
I had such a wonderful ride yesterday. My usual ride is north from my place, up around the Tarrytown Lakes and then up again through The Rockefeller Estate. From there, there are too many choices. Yesterday, after heading upto Yorktown Heights, I took Underhill road back down and then I rode around the Croton Resevoir and up over the Dam. I had never rode over that Dam before and it was really beautiful. It used to be open to cars, but apparently, they didn't want the wear and tear anymore on the Dam and now its just open to pedestrian and bicycle traffic.

Here are 2 pics from the top of the Dam.

IMG00551.jpg

IMG00552.jpg

The ride totaled about 47 miles and 3000' of climbing. I think I averaged about 16.7 but I wasn't in it for speed...I picked up some guy on the way home who slowed me down a bit..but my bicycle etiquette made me feel a bit guilty in dropping him before I was planning on turning off his route. Fabulous day! Great after ride ache all day yesterday too!

Greg

Staff member
Probably done at I'd guess under 100 miles. I might get in a few mellow rides late fall. We'll see. Shitty year for MTB for me.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
1138 miles for the season so far after yesterday's metric century. With a full century next month and two more months to go before ski season begins (and perhaps some cross training after it has, as well!), I may be able to hit 2k for the season. Work is starting to get busy and counting today as a work day, yesterday was my last day off for the next 13 days. :( Working 12 hours a day does not leave much time for rides so perhaps I will need to wake up early and get my rides in the early AM. Buuurrrrrr, starting to get cold out there in the AM.

mlctvt

My wife and I did our first century on our tandem yesterday at the Steeple Chase bike tour in north eastern CT, Absolutely beautiful day, great but hilly route, no very large climbs at all but my altimeter watch indicated 9816 vertical feet for the day. This was our hilliest century ride yet, but we still managed a respectable 16.7 MPH average. We both thought riding the tandem was harder than riding single bikes.
It was a very nice ride on mostly scenic back roads through woods and farmland . Very few riders but also very few cars to deal with, even less cars than the Northeast Kingdom VT century we did last year. I highly suggest this century, we'll be doing it again next year.

A friend suggested we take the tandem and he described it as not hilly at all. I can’t wait to see him!

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
My wife and I did our first century on our tandem yesterday at the Steeple Chase bike tour in north eastern CT, Absolutely beautiful day, great but hilly route, no very large climbs at all but my altimeter watch indicated 9816 vertical feet for the day. This was our hilliest century ride yet, but we still managed a respectable 16.7 MPH average. We both thought riding the tandem was harder than riding single bikes.
It was a very nice ride on mostly scenic back roads through woods and farmland . Very few riders but also very few cars to deal with, even less cars than the Northeast Kingdom VT century we did last year. I highly suggest this century, we'll be doing it again next year.

A friend suggested we take the tandem and he described it as not hilly at all. I can’t wait to see him!
If you have "friends" suggesting a 100 mile ride with 10k vert is "not hilly at all" -- I would hate to think of what your enemies try to do to you! :-o Nicely done!

How confident are you with your altimeter? I have only done one ride all season with an equivalent ratio of vert per mile. That seems extremely hilly... and that coming from someone that lives just south of the White Mountains.

WoodCore

Made it past the 1000 mile mark on the mountain bike yesterday.......100% backwoods singletrack trail miles....:beer:

drjeff

If you have "friends" suggesting a 100 mile ride with 10k vert is "not hilly at all" -- I would hate to think of what your enemies try to do to you! :-o Nicely done!

How confident are you with your altimeter? I have only done one ride all season with an equivalent ratio of vert per mile. That seems extremely hilly... and that coming from someone that lives just south of the White Mountains.

Being a resident of NE CT, I can totally believe that a century in this part of the state, especially considering some of the rest points I read off the website for that ride (no route map) could hit about 10k verts - topographically we're just a bunch of rolling hills out here, with very little in the way of true valleys, and since most "hills" only have a max of about 500-600 feet of verts, when the folks were putting roads in, they tended to just go right up and over them rather than trying to find a way around them.

mlctvt

Being a resident of NE CT, I can totally believe that a century in this part of the state, especially considering some of the rest points I read off the website for that ride (no route map) could hit about 10k verts - topographically we're just a bunch of rolling hills out here, with very little in the way of true valleys, and since most "hills" only have a max of about 500-600 feet of verts, when the folks were putting roads in, they tended to just go right up and over them rather than trying to find a way around them.

I'm confident that my altimeter is accurate. As Dr Jeff indicated there were no large climbs but many 300-500 foot hills. My wife commented about the lack of flat riding on this century. We were either going up hill or going down hill all day. We'll do this ride again next year but on our singles.
And yes my "friend" who suggested we ride the tandem LOVES hills. He's a ride leader with one of the clubs I ride wth and he finds every nasty hill possible on any given route. Some people avoid his rides becasue of this, I guess I should have known.