• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bike suggestions please

bvibert

Staff member
Take my advice with a grain of salt, I've never done any real road riding...

Clipless takes some time to get used to, for sure, but I don't see any reason to put it off. Practice getting in and out of the pedals somewhere that it won't hurt to fall... ;)

I've been riding clipless on my MTB for several years now. It didn't take more than a ride or so for the release action to become automatic when I needed to put my foot down.

MR. evil

If you were riding on dirt I would tell you to hold off for a bit on clipless. But on the road it's less of a concern and I would jump right in.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I could never go back to regular peddles. Clipless are amazing once you get used to them.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AlpineZone mobile app

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Take my advice with a grain of salt, I've never done any real road riding...

Clipless takes some time to get used to, for sure, but I don't see any reason to put it off. Practice getting in and out of the pedals somewhere that it won't hurt to fall... ;)

I've been riding clipless on my MTB for several years now. It didn't take more than a ride or so for the release action to become automatic when I needed to put my foot down.

The first time I had clipless was my pro flex 855 picked up at Newington Bike. I was riding it home to Manchester and stopped at my first intersection and just toppled over with the bike haha

bvibert

Staff member
The first time I had clipless was my pro flex 855 picked up at Newington Bike. I was riding it home to Manchester and stopped at my first intersection and just toppled over with the bike haha

That's why I recommended that she practice getting in and out in an area that it won't hurt to fall.. Most people do fall at first. You just need to be thinking about it at first, until it becomes automatic. If you get pedals with adjustable tension set it very loose at first, to make getting out easier.

mlctvt

I think everyone has one of these moments. I did too back in the 80s when I got my first pair of clipless pedals. The first ones out really sucked, they were very difficult to get out of , too much force needed and not adjustable either. Today they are all adjustable and much better designs.

One recommendation I have is to turn the release adjustment down to the lowest setting before riding them the first time. It'll make it much easier to get out of them.

ski stef

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
yes this will happen to me (fall over at a stop sign or something). I guess I'll have to go a grassy field first - once I can save up a few more dollas (the bike purchase put me under a bit.. ) ill go for the clipless!!

Update on the bike: I LOVE IT. I only take my dog to work 2 days a week so the other three I can bike in and bike home. I tried to bike down with the dog and it was a complete nightmare.

It's a cruiser all the way down (about 3 miles) and a trek back up. I think the elevation gain has to be right around 2000'. Took me 31 minutes yesterday! excited to be keeping my car off the roads a few days a week for the summer :)

MR. evil

3 mile climb with 2000 feet of elevation gain is pretty serious, your going to be a monster on that bike in no time

ski stef

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
well, it's probably a little over 3 miles and a little less than 2000'. i think breckenridge is at 9600' and our house is right at 11000, so i exaggerated quite a bit, its only about 1400' which is significantly less, but it's a good hike back home after work!

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Definately if you can, go for clipless. I however do not see you doing in for $100. It may take a bit of getting used to at first, but doesn't take too long. Worst part is when you forget you have clipless, and just pull your shoe out, killed my knees doing that. Second worst is if you come to a stop and don't pull your shoes out in time, I did it once, came to a stop, and just fell on my side. I did it once, came to a stop, and just fell on my side. but no harm done. after those, learned quick and after awhile it's second nature.

drjeff

Definately if you can, go for clipless. I however do not see you doing in for $100. It may take a bit of getting used to at first, but doesn't take too long. Worst part is when you forget you have clipless, and just pull your shoe out, killed my knees doing that. Second worst is if you come to a stop and don't pull your shoes out in time, I did it once, came to a stop, and just fell on my side. I did it once, came to a stop, and just fell on my side. but no harm done. after those, learned quick and after awhile it's second nature.

Also don't forget the other common "rookie" clipless mistake (read as fall over sideways crash! ;) ) As you're coming to a stop you remember to clip out as you're slowing with let's say your right foot, but then just as you're coming to a stop you try and put your left foot down! :eek: Been there, done that! :lol:

Even now after thousands of miles of clip less riding I still shake the leg I just clipped out as I'm slowing to a stop as a reminder of which one to put down 1st! :D

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AlpineZone mobile app

ski stef

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
went clipless!! Made the decision last night. I had dropped my bike off for my free lifetime tunes (yaaabuddy!) and decided to make the switch. I practiced briefly last night and went on a 26 miler this morning with a really good hill climb (Swan Mountain). Extremely noticeable difference... last time I did this climb I was in my lowest gear possible and this time I didn't even need to downshift into my lower gear chain. (i dont know the correct terminology yet ha). Anyways, noticed a big difference and only had one scare at an intersection where my right foot was out and I didn't get it clipped in right away when i started going and almost fell over. Other than that, PIECE OF CAKE!

Thank you for all your suggestions/thoughts and I see a long time of happy cycling in my future. 8)

Hit 41MPH coming back down the mountain today too!! Fun fun!

bvibert

Staff member
Glad the clipless is working out! Now get yourself a mountain bike and you can do some real cycling! 8)

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
went clipless!! Made the decision last night. I had dropped my bike off for my free lifetime tunes (yaaabuddy!) and decided to make the switch. I practiced briefly last night and went on a 26 miler this morning with a really good hill climb (Swan Mountain). Extremely noticeable difference... last time I did this climb I was in my lowest gear possible and this time I didn't even need to downshift into my lower gear chain. (i dont know the correct terminology yet ha). Anyways, noticed a big difference and only had one scare at an intersection where my right foot was out and I didn't get it clipped in right away when i started going and almost fell over. Other than that, PIECE OF CAKE!

Thank you for all your suggestions/thoughts and I see a long time of happy cycling in my future. 8)

Hit 41MPH coming back down the mountain today too!! Fun fun!

Great choice, and all the best. Also stick with the real bike!

Last edited:

ski stef

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Glad the clipless is working out! Now get yourself a mountain bike and you can do some real cycling! 8)

I've got a dirtbike for the days I'll be on the trails😎. That was actually a hard decision for me to make between the two at the time!

ski stef

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Motor over pedalling on the trails all day! Have you been out this year?

hit the beginning of the summer hard (multi day trips to Moab, Buena Vista, etc.). Now just exploring the trails around where we live. I have a big race this Sunday, after that I will be back after it for the last few weeks of summer we have here. Just don't want to injure myself before. How about yourself?