• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Black Mountain chairlift accident

yeggous

After it was pointed out that there is no thread, here it is:

Around noon on March 7 a chair fell off the line of the summit double at Black Mountain in Jackson, NH. I heard, but cannot confirm, there was at least one injury though not life threatening. A state inspection following the accident determined that the lift needs repairs including a replacement of all the grips. As a result the chair has not been running for past few weeks and will not run for the remainder of the season.

The owner at Black displayed the worst customer relations skills I have ever seen at a ski area. I already was in a foul mood with the guy as he backed out of a signed contract with my race league the week of the race and raised the prices over 40%. As if that was not enough to convince me never to return, he refused refunds to those people who were stuck on the lift and had to be evac'ed down the life. When customers because upset about his refusal to refund the tickets, he called the police to get the customers to leave.

xwhaler

Ugh...not good. I have a Black voucher I was hoping to head up there on Saturday but it's too far a drive for just the triple.

Tin

Given the woods are loaded with barbed wire I'm not surprised by this. All about the money and little caring about safety.

thetrailboss

Staff member
After it was pointed out that there is no thread, here it is:

Around noon on March 7 a chair fell off the line of the summit double at Black Mountain in Jackson, NH. I heard, but cannot confirm, there was at least one injury though not life threatening. A state inspection following the accident determined that the lift needs repairs including a replacement of all the grips. As a result the chair has not been running for past few weeks and will not run for the remainder of the season.

The owner at Black displayed the worst customer relations skills I have ever seen at a ski area. I already was in a foul mood with the guy as he backed out of a signed contract with my race league the week of the race and raised the prices over 40%. As if that was not enough to convince me never to return, he refused refunds to those people who were stuck on the lift and had to be evac'ed down the life. When customers because upset about his refusal to refund the tickets, he called the police to get the customers to leave.

Wow. That sucks. Was this guy's name Ari by chance?

deadheadskier

Staff member
Man, what a bummer. I always pull for the little guys like Black, but not if that kind of bad service happens.

I recall reading a TR recently saying the double was down. I thought that was weird. Now I know why.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Jokes aside, sorry to hear this news and agree that it is sad when we hear of an area struggling.

Edd

You've got to kidding me. I can't even believe this happened.

yeggous

You've got to kidding me. I can't even believe this happened.

This was my first experience with the guy. I heard from others that he is locally known for being a hothead.

Needless to say that after being stuck on a lift for a long time, the customers were not exactly in a friendly mood. This guy got up face-to-face with one of the unhappy customers.

thetrailboss

Staff member
This was my first experience with the guy. I heard from others that he is locally known for being a hothead.

Needless to say that after being stuck on a lift for a long time, the customers were not exactly in a friendly mood. This guy got up face-to-face with one of the unhappy customers.

Yeah, sounds like he went to the Ari Quiros School of QBusiness.

Skikarl

What I have heard from both black mountain ski patrol and a witness who says he was in line for the lift when it crash was that no one was on the chair when it fell. They said that when the chair was coming around the turn at the bottom of the mountain it fell off. Luckily it happened when it did so that no one was on it.

-Karl

Skikarl

Any news if the lift has been repaired for the upcoming season?

I honestly don't know I haven't been up there in quite a while. Hopefully it will be fixed because almost all of their expert terrain is accessible from the red lift. If I owned black mountain my first priority would be to fix the lift ASAP because without it they will have trouble staying in business.

-Karl