• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Booting Up in Lodges and Bag Storage Updates

Edd

And in NH you dont have to show your vaccine card to anyone. Quite literally, I have been living a 100% normal pre-covid life for well over a year and have never been requested to show anyone my vaccine card. Different strokes for different folks.
Not quite true. I've had to show it at Jimmy's on Congress in Portsmouth. And, of course, at Wildcat.

thebigo

Not quite true. I've had to show it at Jimmy's on Congress in Portsmouth. And, of course, at Wildcat.
We go out to eat or crowded bars on average a couple times a week. Dozens and dozens of different bars/restaurants over the last year plus and have never been asked to show proof of vaccine but surely there are exceptions.

My only experience with vail this year was a race at sunapee, I spent a bunch of time in the lodge and cafeteria, was never asked for vaccine card.

da-bum

I was booting up in the car the whole season last year. Even though we found a parking lot where we can walk directly onto the snow (later having to climb over an embankment on the end of a fence when they put that fence to ward off 'trespassers'), then a little bit of walking before reaching the lift. It was still a pain given that my car had highly bolstered seats which were not conducive to sideway sitting. Plus the boots would stiffen up so much that it was much harder to boot up/boot off, especially when it was real cold. On multiple day trips, my lady friend would boot up in the inn and I would put on my left boot there while having regular boots on my right foot so I can drive to the mountain. Hitting the loo had to be coordinated, since we still had to take a long hike back and forth the lodge. I mostly took care of business in nature, but not everyone had that ability, or was willing to.

With the pre-EPICmix reservation system, limited time and limited weekday menu, and inability for Vail to utilize our Peak food cash card balance, we mostly ate in the car last year. It was challenging trying to pack food at 5am and have it stay hot until 1pm, so most of the items were made to be eaten cold. When it was still 10 deg at 1pm, things got slightly uncomfortable, especially if we were already chilled to the bone. We eventually did go into the cafeteria a few times to get something hot and warm up.

This year, we are doing most things in the lodge, but am still parking in the lot that is real close to the lift and lodge.

Kingslug20

Stowe has the closest car boot up...just climb the little hill after.and you are at the lift..and sometimes ski back to your car

MikeTrainor

Gunstock and Cannon both have mandatory bag checks if you don’t want to bring it to your car. Gunstock’s is free, Cannon is $3. This system helps assholes not leave half their earthly possessions on a table so I’m ok with it.

BW seems determined to keep the cubbies outside. Really NBD but I guess I’d prefer a bag check.
Cannon has free cubbies outside also

Reactions: Edd

KustyTheKlown

Several places are like that. Stowe's not the bestest at everything :p

all better parking situations than beneath the forerunner:

- killinton bear mountain if you are early you are steps from the skye peak quad, or if you want to be on the 'beach' you can park snowside at devil's fiddle. you can also use the vale road lot and basically park on trail and ski to ramshead quad

- smuggs top lot you can pop your skis on at the car and ski down to the lift

- schoolhouse side at sugarbush lets you ski right to your car, tho you do need to walk up a bit to start the day

- mount ellen you can park closer to the lift than you can at stowe

- stratton sunbowl you can park snowside to lookers right of the lodge

- its been ages but in my recollection you could park very close at carinthia?

- burke top lot is also a put your skis on and ski down to the chair situation

drjeff

all better parking situations than beneath the forerunner:

- killinton bear mountain if you are early you are steps from the skye peak quad, or if you want to be on the 'beach' you can park snowside at devil's fiddle. you can also use the vale road lot and basically park on trail and ski to ramshead quad

- smuggs top lot you can pop your skis on at the car and ski down to the lift

- schoolhouse side at sugarbush lets you ski right to your car, tho you do need to walk up a bit to start the day

- mount ellen you can park closer to the lift than you can at stowe

- stratton sunbowl you can park snowside to lookers right of the lodge

- its been ages but in my recollection you could park very close at carinthia?

- burke top lot is also a put your skis on and ski down to the chair situation
Carinthia now at Mount Snow has the "premium lot" where you can literally back your car up right to the snow and if you're in the spots closest to the lodge, it's maybe 50 feet to the lift queue area. Also there are some spots in the main base area where you can park right next to the beginner area and be on snow in just a few steps, as well as a few spots at the Sundance lodge where you can be on snow in a few steps from your car with just a short, maybe 15 foot uphill climb to the lift. That Sundance lot will likely get a bit more attractive next season as that's very near where the new 6 pack being installed on the main face will have it's base terminal

deadheadskier

Staff member

Concert venues for sure. Often at the bands request. Been to several Stone Church shows where I've had to produce my card. Portsmouth Music Hall too.

puckoach

No indoor boot up and storage \ cubbies = no me. Site can determine location. But, I am not walking in my ski boots very far. Not putting on cold frozen stuff afterwards. I have been first car in lot many a time.

I am weekdays only. Loon no problem this year. BW I avoided.

Smellytele

having kids it was actually easier booting up at the vehicle then having to lug 3 kids worth of shit into the lodge. Did we do it sometimes? Yes cold windy days for sure. Walking in ski boots has never bothered me nor anyone in my family. I broke them in early (kids not boots).

Smellytele

No indoor boot up and storage \ cubbies = no me. Site can determine location. But, I am not walking in my ski boots very far. Not putting on cold frozen stuff afterwards. I have been first car in lot many a time.

I am weekdays only. Loon no problem this year. BW I avoided.
Some places out west I haven’t even seen places to boot up indoors. Couldn’t imagine lugging my shit from some of those remote parking spots at vail/beaver creek/ Breckenridge or copper.

skiur

I certainly don't miss booting up at the mountain. It's much nicer booting up in my living room. When I do go to a different mountain I always boot up at the car. I have no interest in humping my boots and other gear around.

KustyTheKlown

Some places out west I haven’t even seen places to boot up indoors. Couldn’t imagine lugging my shit from some of those remote parking spots at vail/beaver creek/ Breckenridge or copper.

its not in the culture out west. there is no 'lodge' to treat like your giant personal mudroom. there are controlled indoor spaces for restaurants and bars and stuff. its better imo.

Bumpsis

Cannon is $3. This system helps assholes not leave half their earthly possessions on a table so I’m ok with it.
I sooo agree with this. It really drives me nuts when people just leave their stuff on or under a table. To great extend that's on the management. If no proper place storage is provided, people will just default to less than considerate behavior. Sugarloaf is a prime example for this. Mid week, it's not too bad but a weekend day, it's really bad.
As an aside, I really appreciate being able to boot up inside. Schlepping in ski boots from a parking lot is the pits and it really rips up their bottoms.