• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Boston College Eagles Ski Team - competing in EISA

skiberg

99% of the kids at St. J Academy, or Holdeness or Burke never make the US ski team but end up racing in College. Most of these schools are actually very good academically as well. A few high school athletes may race in college, but only those who are actively involved in a ski team like Franconia or Carrabasset or Waterville. Franconia put a kid on the Brown University team this year. I'm sure the other big time clubs in the east place a few kids each year, outside of the ski racing schools. You are right though, high school racing in general is much, much lower level of competition.

Masskier

99% of the kids at St. J Academy, or Holdeness or Burke never make the US ski team but end up racing in College. Most of these schools are actually very good academically as well. A few high school athletes may race in college, but only those who are actively involved in a ski team like Franconia or Carrabasset or Waterville. Franconia put a kid on the Brown University team this year. I'm sure the other big time clubs in the east place a few kids each year, outside of the ski racing schools. You are right though, high school racing in general is much, much lower level of competition.

St J, and several other high schools certainly have strong programs. However the ski academies are in a league by themselves. Where as right now most of the high school kids are in classes and playing fall sports, and the Academy kids are in Chile training and being tutored. In fact BMA has been recognized by the USSA as having the #1 race program in the country.

deadheadskier

Staff member
99% of the kids at St. J Academy, or Holdeness or Burke never make the US ski team but end up racing in College.

I can't speak for St. J or Burke, but that's definitely not true of Holderness. My high school (Vermont Academy) was in the same divisions and equally as competitive as Holderness. Of the 20 or so kids on Boys varsity and 10 or so on the Girls, MAYBE 2 students per year went on to race at the D1 level.

UVSHTSTRM

I can't speak for St. J or Burke, but that's definitely not true of Holderness. My high school (Vermont Academy) was in the same divisions and equally as competitive as Holderness. Of the 20 or so kids on Boys varsity and 10 or so on the Girls, MAYBE 2 students per year went on to race at the D1 level.

Are you talking the Varsity team or are you talking about Holderness's Eastern Elite Team? The Elite team is far different then their varsity and jv teams? If I had to guess, if you are on the Holderness Elite Team you are probably going to ski in college, whether it is DI or some smaller division.

deadheadskier

Staff member
This was 20 years ago, but I don't seem to recall an 'elite' division. All I know is we were very competitive with Holderness, had kids finish in the top 20 at the New Englands every year and many did not go on to race at the college level.