• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

BOYNE USA: AZ Challenge 2009 Response/Feedback Thread

deadheadskier

Staff member
Of course, if Saddleback DID run into serious financial difficulty (ex. Magic Mountain), who might be the first compnay bidding to pick them up?

I wouldn't think it would be Boyne. They already have one area (Sugarloaf) that is a real struggle geographically and is also in need of significant investment in infrastructure.

As sweet as being able to offer a pass to the three major ME areas plus Loon would be, it doesn't look to be a good investment unless they could pick it up real cheap.

trtaylor

I wouldn't think it would be Boyne. They already have one area (Sugarloaf) that is a real struggle geographically and is also in need of significant investment in infrastructure.

As sweet as being able to offer a pass to the three major ME areas plus Loon would be, it doesn't look to be a good investment unless they could pick it up real cheap.
I'm certainly not making any predictions. But, Rangeley, as a four season area, has an advantage over SL. That is certainly in Saddleback's favor.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm certainly not making any predictions. But, Rangeley, as a four season area, has an advantage over SL. That is certainly in Saddleback's favor.

I would agree with that.

Rangeley has an advantage of Sunday River in that regard to if lake activities are your pleasure.

Vortex

I would think that Boyne would look in the NY range and VT if they were to expand.

I would be surprised if something happened in the short term. I have to believe that stowe would be a property they would want, but it would need to be at a bargain price.

They have A NH resort and two locations in Maine. I don't see expansion there.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Stowe would be interesting from a pass price perspective. Stowe is in the nieghborhood of $1600, already hundreds more than the competition. Adding Loon, SR, SL, I don't think you could get that price from those who currently enjoy the NE pass. It would have to be a separate entity with maybe discounted day tickets offered to NE pass owners.

Vortex

They have back and forth deals with the western resorts. 10 free days or 1/2 price. Stowe is high end and offers the amenities. A market Boyne goes after.

Tin Woodsman

This is my last post on this as well, but keep drinking the Kool-aid? Must I be disatisfied with Boyne to be considered "keeping it real"? I have been extremely pleased with the way they have run Sunday River and they seem like a stable company that has a bright future planned for the mountain. Even if I disagreed with SK making those comments I would still be a happy customer. Apparently you feel that anyone who disagrees with you must be a follower of some sort, but that simply isn't the case. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Don't get me wrong - it's quite clear that Boyne represents a tremendous upgrade to the previous owners. Please don't mistake my distaste for SK's comments with a desire to return to the ancien regime. Rather, it's solely a reaction to the local Goliath playing dirty pool with a competitor less than 1/10th its size. It was uncalled for any way you look at it.

Rogman

Stowe? It will be sold to someone willing to overpay, because it's Stowe. It will not be Boyne, it will not be POWDR, it will not be anyone currently in the eastern ski market. It is the trophy wife of ski resorts.

Tin Woodsman

Stowe? It will be sold to someone willing to overpay, because it's Stowe. It will not be Boyne, it will not be POWDR, it will not be anyone currently in the eastern ski market. It is the trophy wife of ski resorts.

This basically means Vail.

I disagree though. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it were CNL.

salsgang

SK's comments about SB do seem a bit odd. I am not sure what he gained by slamming SB with these "facts".

I am a HUGE Saddleback fan, but I am a very big Sugarloaf fan too. Both mountains have unique characteristics. I am sure SK is worried about SB pulling skiers away from his mountain, but If SB can pull new skiers into the area, it seems like it would benefit both mountains...?

SB did raise season pass rates from $400 - $600, and I imagine daily lift tickets will go up by a similar percentage. (close to $60 I bet) so they are making a push to bring more revenue.

Anyway, SK needs to be a bit more professional in my opinion. He could have made his point just as well with different words.

Rogman

This basically means Vail.

I disagree though. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it were CNL.
Vail, CNL, etc. all need to make a profit. Stowe will go at a price that makes profitability unlikely, and as a result, all the usual suspects will drop out at some point in the bidding. It is a billionaires plaything; it will stay that way.

Geoff

Vail, CNL, etc. all need to make a profit. Stowe will go at a price that makes profitability unlikely, and as a result, all the usual suspects will drop out at some point in the bidding. It is a billionaires plaything; it will stay that way.

Stowe will go to the high bidder. Nobody is going to buy a resort that can't generate enough operating profit to pay off the loan to buy the place. I find it hard to believe a jillionaire is going to buy the place as their personal plaything. Unless a REIT buys it, it's going to be a leveraged purchase.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Stowe will go to the high bidder. Nobody is going to buy a resort that can't generate enough operating profit to pay off the loan to buy the place. I find it hard to believe a jillionaire is going to buy the place as their personal plaything. Unless a REIT buys it, it's going to be a leveraged purchase.

Hank Ginsberg?