• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bretton Woods 1-29

JDMRoma

Decided to burn a Vacation day today and made out pretty darn good ! Showed up with 3 to 4 inches of fresh powder !
1st chair at 8:50am and first tracks for the first hour or so ! Nice getting out on the New Ski's in Freshies !!
All the trails were excellent,even the Natural ones...Plenty of cover on all ! Didnt take a break until noon for a quick 20 minute lunch and back out till 3:45. One of the nice things about BW is the un groomed sides of most trails, so nice getting in the powder and playing in it all day!! Bode's,Wumbek and Star King had lots of untracked powder on the sides.....
Snake and Shenanigans were great early on the morning, but got skied off quickly ! Was still able to hit powder on No Regrets, Granny's Grit and Crawfords Blaze late in the day. Finished up on the sides of Fabians Express, in between and Willeys slide that was virtually untouched !

Hope this Rain event doesn't trash it all.......

Amazing, best hooky day of my Season !

JDMRoma

Was Agassiz open and white? ON Friday it was brownish with grass and rocks bared.

Herb's secret was nice.

I got burned on Agassiz 2 weeks ago, it was basic dust on crust and hard as a rock....so I avoided it...unfortunately as its usually alot of fun.
Herb's was good too....Im not use to Herbs and Grannys being natural, always liked the high speed runs down the groomed trailes but Im liking the Au Natural right now...even more if we can get some decent snow !

JDMRoma

Never even noticed Darby's....darn....sounds like it would have been fun with fresh snow on top of the whales !

LiquidFeet

When I go to BWoods I seek out the easy-moderate bumps and easy-moderate glades. Then I work on my turns on the groomers. On Fridays there's a Nastar course that is great for working on one's timing. The mountain is a great place to firm up one's technique. For that I love Bretton Woods. Oh, and the views are great.

Warp Daddy

Got to do BW sometime , driven by it when we stayed at Attitash couple yrs ago . Looks pretty mellow and that means it is in The Queens wheelhouse, ;) but the views have to be spectacular-

puckoach

Never been there. How do you think it will be this coming Sunday with the smaller crowds expected due to Superbowl.

LiquidFeet

A cautious skier can ride every lift at BWoods and ski down without fear. The more adventurous can stay in the woods. There are a few short steepish segments on some of the groomed trails. There are lots of beautiful blue groomers in varying widths. There are glades (when it snows) in graduated difficulties, from barely-a-glade to gnarly (still short, however). The grooming is great. They blow a lot of snow. It's not Cannon, if that's what you're after, however.

LiquidFeet

Never been there. How do you think it will be this coming Sunday with the smaller crowds expected due to Superbowl.
Sunday will be empty. Saturday the lodge will be full, but the lift lines are not going to be prohibitive. Once on the mountain, people get spread out. There are a few trails where you'll need to wait for the swarms to pass a few times on Saturday. But that's no biggie. Enjoy.

Oh, but I'm forgetting that today it's going to melt. On Sat-Sun you'll encounter no woods that are skiable, unless something unexpected and dramatic falls from the sky Thurs-Fri. There will probably be no bumps either, unless they blow a ton on Agassiz. Which they probably won't. But the mountain in general will be replenished with snow better than most after today's thaw. Bretton Woods puts $$ into keeping their guests happy.

JDMRoma

Only thing I can add is they are doing a 59$ special on Sunday for a lift ticket and then theres the Locals thing
where you can ski at noon for 25$. So best bet is early on if possible.
Not sure how much resurfacing they will do, last year end of January it was the end of full on snow making and only spot resurfacing.
Agazziz is all Natural, no snow making that I can ever recall.
Im skiing Saturday, will report on conditions when I get back

LiquidFeet

Right. Now I remember there's no snow-making on Agassiz.
I've skied Super Bowl Sunday for years at different mountains.
The trails are empty in the afternoon.
People need to get themselves home and settled in. They leave early.

xlr8r

I might head to Bretton Woods on Saturday and then Burke on Sunday. Just waiting to see how this weather pans out. It has been 11 years since I was last at Bretton Woods, so I am kinda curious about how it skis now. It will be almost an entirely new mtn to me.

LiquidFeet

Oh yes. It's across the street. You'll be looking at the "back" side of Mt Washington, with the white strip of snow revealing the tracks of the cog railroad.
You can also look down from Bretton Woods' summits on the red roof of the Mt. Washington Hotel. That's quite a sight.
Be sure to go over to the hotel for drinks/coffee after skiing. The lobby is a great place to kick back and people watch while coming down from skiing. It will cost you, but still there aren't many places like that. Old and historic.
1025646112_33f279ed45_z.jpg

LiquidFeet

Oh yes. It's across the street. You'll be looking at the "back" side of Mt Washington, with the white strip of snow revealing the tracks of the cog railroad.
You can also look down from Bretton Woods' summits on the red roof of the Mt. Washington Hotel.
7014069391_9e56f699c8.jpg

Be sure to go over to the hotel for drinks/coffee after skiing. The lobby is a great place to kick back and people watch while coming down from skiing.
1025646112_33f279ed45_z.jpg

puckoach

Thanks for the input !

Weather has certainly become a factor.

Was supposed to go to Wachusett for free tomorrow. They only have 3 trails open right now.....I

May have to hang home until the Sunday snow is gone here. Business requirements.

I have lift tickets for Loon on Monday and Tuesday. Some snow supposed to fall up there on Sunday and Tuesday. Just hopping they are not blowing snow on Monday, like they were on the Friday before MLK weekend. Was like skiing in sand....