• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bromley 12/14 & 15 VERY DISAPPOINTING

Abominable

Went up to Bromley this weekend, arrived early Saturday morning and went to put my boots on in my usual cozy corner on the third floor, with all that dark wood and large, old, dark picnic tables, only to find they've renovated! Gone is the homey feel and character and it's being replaced with something that looks like... Windham! Lame.

I'm probably remembering it being nicer than it actually was, and it's tough to argue when any place puts more money into it, but I like it when lodges have that nice, worn it feeling. But I'll get over it- 90% of the time I spend indoors at a ski hill is at the bar anyway.

Otherwise, GREAT weekend at Bromley (the webmaster tells me controversial post titles get page views), great first weekend of the year, and probably the best December weekend in years (I don't get out much before Christmas). Saturday was cold and fast with better than expected conditions, and more open then I'd anticipated. Actually had good snow all day, the top got a little slippery by the end of the day but could still get a good edge in if you picked the right spot. Had a blast hot-lapping Twister and cruising Thruway, West Meadow, etc. getting warmed up and ready for.....

sunday! Sunday! SUNDAY!!

It was incredible, as it was for all you that got out in the Northeast. Got on the Alpine chair (quad was closed until later) at 8:31, first trips down Lower Twister were great, real surfing. Later in the morning they opened the quad and I got on the first couple chairs so it was fresh tracks all over again. The top was wind swept, but lots of snow on the sides, and all the runs skiers right were great. Got into some of the low angle glades on the west side later in the afternoon, which had great coverage and zero (really!) uncovered obstacles. Could find a fresh spot to make a powder turn all day, and some good moguls by the end of the day to really wear you out. Some of the runs skiers left were nice too, and I hear they opened Avalanche but didn't get that far over. Also didn't check out the steep glades up top (skiers right), but probably should have as all the trails on that side of the mountain (out of the wind) were just buried.

Really just an amazing day, and ski-on the lifts all day, except for maybe a five minute line around 9:30 on the Alpine before they opened up the quad. Bromley is smaller than some of its neighbors, but I really like it there, skis like one great 'pod' at a larger resort. Plus it's easy to find your co-skiers if you split up. Add to that the fact that we were on the back end of our 2013 Spring Loaded deal - four tickets for 100 bucks from March 1 to December 20th, so 25 / day for this weekend, and it was just a great day all around.

Happy to read great reports from everyone that got out. Hope this is the start of one of those special winters that seem to come every six years or so.

I'll also add a positive report for The Chalet Motel. 70 bucks / night, walking distance to a couple bars / restaurants, and they've got a hot tub and sauna (gotta let them know ahead of time to fire those up though) and a nice fireplace in the lobby. Pretty reasonable for a comfortable place close to the mountains.

And if you haven't had the corned beef hash at Bob's Diner you are missing out!

Euler

Sounds awesome! I love Bromley...will be going on Sunday the 22nd if it's not raining. Fingers crossed that the weather shapes up.

thetrailboss

Staff member
So the only issue was that the lodge was renovated? Sounds like first world problems since the skiing sounds good. ;) But I get how you miss something once it's gone.

Hawkshot99

You are deffinatly remembering that lodge as nicer than it was. The renovation and new tables/chairs that do jot wobble horribly is nice to have. Mtns need to spend $to upkeep themselves.

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2