• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bronx Zoo

JerseyJoey

Hit up Domenics on Arthur Ave for some great family dining. Picnic tables, no menus, good wines, gruff staff. Well worth the wait and the price.

FRITOLAYGUY

Thanks. Do you know if tickets can be printed directly from that site? I can't imagine if they mail them I'd get them in time for this weekend.

Arthur Avenue is in the plan.

Thanks. I think we're going to bring a stroller and the Kelty pack. My 2 year old is a peanut and I can easily still shlep her around in that. Plus it will give her a higher vantage point to see things.

Greg go there for the pizza though like i said or the little bakeries dont waste your time with a sandwich

Greg

Staff member
Great day!

What a great day! We took the girls to the Bronx Zoo today and my wife's parents joined us. We got there about 15 minutes before opening to a pretty empty lot. Leisurely got in line and got started as soon as they opened. We opted for the "pay one price" passes that I pre-bought online. Well worth it.

Started in the butterfly exhibit and the girls loved that. Then made our way around and saw most everything. The only things we didn't get to was the skyfari (basically a gondola that goes over the zoo), the bird exhibit and the reptile exhibit. The gorillas, by far, were the best. I could have stood there and watched them for hours. At one point, the largest male made his way over to the glass and stared me down for a good 20 seconds. We were separated by about 6".....oh, and some presumably pretty thick glass too. :lol: That was intense. Many people in there laughed at that one.

We finished up around 5 pm. Strollers and a packed lunch were key. The girls loved the whole day and were fantastic and well-behaved all day including during an awesome Italian dinner at Pasquale Rigoletto on Arthur Avenue after the zoo. Best damn linguine and white clam sauce I've ever had.

A really awesome experience. The day was perfect. Sunny and about 70 degrees. It got a tad crowded, but not as bad as I expected. Highly recommended. Here's some zoo stoke:

Picture_017.jpg

Picture_027.jpg

Picture_029.jpg

Picture_033.jpg

Picture_037.jpg

Picture_042.jpg

Picture_048.jpg

Picture_057.jpg

Picture_078.jpg

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Canon Digital Rebel. I wish I had a longer lens.
Nice camera! I used to have a Canon 20D DSLR (I think that's just 1 step up) that I bought refurbished. They take gorgeous pics. I have a telephoto lens that might work for you.

Last edited:

Dr Skimeister

The gorillas, by far, were the best. I could have stood there and watched them for hours. At one point, the largest male made his way over to the glass and stared me down for a good 20 seconds. We were separated by about 6".....

He was either challenging you or hitting on you.....

Did you wind up taking him out to dinner too?? :)

ComeBackMudPuddles

I distinctly remember going to the Bronx Zoo when I was like 8 years old.

We packed up the car and drove down from Clifton Park (a suburb of Albany about three hours north of NYC) really early in the morning (5am?) and "enjoyed" a scorching hot humid day in the Bronx before driving back that same night. I think I remember the bottoms of my sneaks melting on the pavement. And my parents at that time had vinyl seats in their car. Wonderful.

I remember hating the seals 'cause they looked so happy splashing about in their cold water. But, mostly, I remember the heat.

This all being said, I'd love to go back some day, since I've learned to enjoy zoo visits quite a bit since then, and I'm sure the Bronx Zoo is awesome.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
I was waiting for the trip report... :) I didn't see this thread until now. Glad you had a great time...and I agree, awesome photos. I have a digital rebel, but i opt to use the small one more. I should bust out the nice camera again! :)