• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Building a Ski Rack

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Had a bit of a problem, no where to put my ski:

main.php

Here's the solution:

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

WoodCore

Nice job!!! Definitely like the caster wheels.

Terry

I just mounted a board on the wall with pairs of pegs on it. The skis hang in pairs by the tips between the pegs. Takes up very little room and keeps them handy right by the door.

wa-loaf

Nice, mines not nearly as nice:

workshop.jpg

But then it's also in the basement.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Am I totally neurotic or just crazy, because I always thought that leaving skis base to base with the ski brakes clicked together will make a ski lose its camber faster..and hanging skis from pegs together also can bend them.

I leave my skis apart with them leaning loosely against a wall...ideally with the bindings facing the wall....that way the weight of the bindings help keep the camber while not in use??

Oh, but nice work Andy. I have some built-ins that could be your next project. ;)

TheBEast

That's the next project on my list. Found a great design on Home Again with Bob Villa. Now just have to get it built!

o3jeff

Looks good. I am looking to make something and have one question. With the holes staggered is it enough for the binding not to hit each other when using all the holes?

Nice mine are just up against the wall..my new neighbors are going to get a kick out of me moving in with 6 pairs of skis..

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Thanks all, it was a hell of a lot easier than I thought it would be. Toughest part was planning :)

Am I totally neurotic or just crazy, because I always thought that leaving skis base to base with the ski brakes clicked together will make a ski lose its camber faster..and hanging skis from pegs together also can bend them.

I leave my skis apart with them leaning loosely against a wall...ideally with the bindings facing the wall....that way the weight of the bindings help keep the camber while not in use??

Oh, but nice work Andy. I have some built-ins that could be your next project.

Was a time I would have thought the same, but always looking for a reason to buy a new pair ;) Typically, when I put on the summer wax, I do seperate them, This year, my wife didn't ski, I didn't ski much and just never got around to summer wax. If I want to seperate, there's plenty of slots.

Looks good. I am looking to make something and have one question. With the holes staggered is it enough for the binding not to hit each other when using all the holes?

Yeah, a lil tight, but it works, and once again, enough slots so that I could spread them out more if it didn't. One mistake I made was making the slots a bit bigger than I would have liked, but that helps with the binding issue.

That's the next project on my list. Found a great design on Home Again with Bob Villa. Now just have to get it built!

I'll send my wife your way. I kept on tellling her that I'll put together a ski rack. She got tired of hearing it and told me talk is cheap :)

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
That's a beaut. I wouldn't have the patience. I just did the dowl thing and hang them.

So where is it's home? Right by the front door?

And what's next? Where do the poles and boots go. Oh, I forgot, we only need one pair of each ;)
(honestly, my poles stay in the trunk of the car).

mister moose

Nice work, Andy. I went the less fancy route as well.

ski_rack.sized.jpg

Take an 8 foot 2x6 hand picked to be almost clear of knots, run through a planer to clean it up, drill holes for rods, glue, screw to beam, done. You do need to be careful choosing your wood rod (I used closet pole doug fir) and make sure your hole saw gives a nice tight fit.

I made the rods long enough to take 2 pairs of skis each, and as you can see have only one slot left!

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
That's a beaut. I wouldn't have the patience. I just did the dowl thing and hang them.

So where is it's home? Right by the front door?

And what's next? Where do the poles and boots go. Oh, I forgot, we only need one pair of each ;)
(honestly, my poles stay in the trunk of the car).

No, it's in the attic, poles go in the extra slot, boot in a tray in front. If I had basement space I would have gone the peg route as well. But no basement and nowhere to hang the skis from. The attic has a pitched roof, so the pegs would not have worked for me.

With regards to patience, total build time was about 90 min.

Nice work, Andy. I went the less fancy route as well.

ski_rack.sized.jpg

Take an 8 foot 2x6 hand picked to be almost clear of knots, run through a planer to clean it up, drill holes for rods, glue, screw to beam, done. You do need to be careful choosing your wood rod (I used closet pole doug fir) and make sure your hole saw gives a nice tight fit.

I made the rods long enough to take 2 pairs of skis each, and as you can see have only one slot left!

Nice variety of skis..X-screams, Publics, Rossi Scratch..are they all yours?

mister moose

Nice variety of skis..X-screams, Publics, Rossi Scratch..are they all yours?

The 9-18's and Tempress belong to Ms Moose. The rest are mine. Chiefs, PE's, and Equipe SC get high marks, Scream Ltd and SX-B5 are solid but not impressive, and the jury is still out on the Scratch FS. Of everyone I've asked about the FS, I'm the only one that finds them fussy grabby.