• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bumps

deadheadskier

Staff member
practice, lots and lots and lots and lots of practice; and you probably won't get too much of it skiing at Tenney this winter as I don't anticipate we'll see too many. We'll get on them some where else this winter though and I'll give you a few pointers. Depending on my mood, I'll either tell you something that might help you ski them better or misguide you and watch you crash in spectacular fashion for a laugh.....

mondeo

Flats practice. Work on quick turns, legs together, hips always pointed downhill, all that stuff on the flats before you go into the bumps.

Or just practice, starting out on easier runs. If you start out on the hard ones you'll just struggle and not really get any benefit from it.

Greg

Staff member
Good advice so far. Quick turns on the flats are key. If you can't turn quick on the flats, it'll be impossible in the bumps. Beyond that try to find a place with low angle bumps runs and just ski them over and over.

Probably should have asked what level of bump skiing you're at now....

deadheadskier

Staff member
I think the ass noodling quick turn drills on flat terrain is great for people like you two (Greg and Mondeo) who are 20-30+ day a year skiers and are truly passionate and committed to being better bump skiers. While enjoying all types of skiing, it's quite obvious that bumps is where it's at for you two 95% of the time.

For the recreational skier though like Dana who skis 10-15 days a season, I wouldn't waste my time with 'drills' that are bump specific. For one thing, 10-15 days isn't that much time on the snow so first and foremost should be just enjoying yourself and trying to attack whatever terrain is in front of you. Focus on keeping your shoulders square to the fall line in an aggressive, yet balanced stance; ready at any moment to 'break it down' like we discussed last time out with my basketball defense analogy.

On groomed terrain, just enjoy yourself and flow with the mountain. Get yourself up to a moderate speed (which you do Dana) and as you approach a roll in the terrain allow yourself to absorb the terrain and extend out of it to keep good ski contact with the snow. Venture to the sides of the trail between fast GS turns and if you see a succession of rutty piles of snow, take the same principle of absorbing and extending a few turns through them and bail out if you have to back across the trail to reset your balance with the fall line.

When you get in the bumps Dana, instead of trying to straight line the zipper like I do, be patient for awhile (at least the rest of this season) and take the bumps in lines of two or three at a controlled speed cutting across the hill. Even in the most non-uniform bump field, you can generally cut across the backside troughs for a couple of moguls. Cut across, look ahead (the most important thing to do in all types of skiing) and visualize where you're going to make a turn. When you get there, make a pole plant to set and balance and turn around the bump to head back in the other direction. Do it slow at first and you'll feel how you need to absorb and extend to maintain balance and control. Start going three bumps across then two, then link in a couple zipper turns and head back across. Keep it slow and in control until you feel your balance points correctly and will be able maintain them at a higher speed where your feet will have to move much faster to balance yourself.

Do that for a couple of seasons at the rate you're going and you'll be able to ski down any type of terrain you want in control and then focus on the subtleties of getting better in more specific areas.

BushMogulMaster

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Below are a few things to think about. I realize that you don't get out 30+ days per season, so maybe some of this is beyond the advice you're really looking for. But read it, and think about it. It basically summarizes a lot of the info in the links above. These are tips I am working on for a very concise brochure/booklet type thing to distribute at ski areas.

mogulskiing.net said:
Stance and Posture
When skiing moguls, you need to carry yourself in such a manner that you can efficiently concur the fall line.

Be sure to stand tall, and be “stacked.” This means your feet, knees, and shoulders should make a straight, vertical line. You should constantly pressure your shins on the tongues of your boots to actively maintain this stance. Push your hips forward to help stay out of the backseat!
You also want a relatively tight stance to carry out short radius mogul turns. You want your skis no more than about 6 inches apart.

The last point to remember about posture is that you should be doing all of the work with your lower body, whilst your upper body remains quiet (still), and facing directly down the fall line.

Mogul Turns
Well-executed mogul turns are not simply pivoted or skidded. They are edged efficiently, and carved (in a mogul sense, not a racing sense). You must make quick, short radius turns. You want to load a great deal of your weight onto your downhill ski to engage your edges into the turn.
Essential to good mogul skiing is absorption and extension. As you reach the mogul, begin to absorb the mogul in your knees, and stay on the balls of your feet while actively driving the tips down into the snow upon reaching the crest of the mogul. While doing this, you will feel more like your heels are being pulled to your buttocks, rather than your knees to your chin. After absorbing a mogul, it is crucial that a full extension be part of your short-radius mogul turn. Fully extend your legs into your next turn while getting onto your new downhill ski early!

Picking and Skiing Your Line
When looking at the mogul field, you should take a second and decide what line you want to ski. Some skiers like regular, even lines, and others prefer more irregularities. Just remember: stay in the fall line and don’t let the terrain dictate your line! Absorb whatever comes along! Also, keep your vision up and look at least 3-5 bumps ahead to know exactly what's coming your way.

Arms and Poles

In mogul skiing, you want to hold your arms steadily in front of you, as though holding a tray. The pole plant takes place on the back (downhill) side of the mogul, and should be a mere flick of the wrist. Mogul pole plants aren’t for speed control! As soon as you plant, bring your poles right back in front of you and prepare for your next plant.

frozencorn

I'm no bump master by any means, but a simple tip that has helped me the past few years is to arch your toes upward while entering the bumps. This forces you to keep your hips forward. Seems elementary, but it really does help.

campgottagopee

Take a lesson from a PSIA instructor----not that much $$$$ for the return you'll get, and then MILAGE!!!!!

gmcunni

Take a lesson from a PSIA instructor----not that much $$$$ for the return you'll get, and then MILAGE!!!!!

I agree. i took a few lessons @ Okemo years ago. I signed up for the group "black diamond" lesson. The lesson was not mogul specific but I ended up being the only student so i got a private lesson for the price of a group. The thing he told me that has stuck with me and put me over the edge of skiing bumps vs. surviving them was to drive your tips into the next bump. the skies won't break and they'll absorb the bump instead of your legs doing it.

for me that one tip made a huge difference. before that i could maybe deal with 2 bump runs and my legs would be toast.

Then, find people who ski better than you and try to keep up with them.

Geoff

Not at all

PSIA ski school demonstration turns in the bumps. At speed. Never breaking down. I watch Jon Lamb do it all the time at Killington. It looks elegant as hell and it's certainly way more knee-friendly than what the wiggle people do. It's even more impressive to watch Jon Lamb blow by me in steep tight trees at speed with the same turn and no break in form. That's the style I aim for but I'm at 1/3 the turn cadence and 1/3 the speed. I also can't hold my line consistently when it's not really soft.

BushMogulMaster

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
It looks elegant as hell and it's certainly way more knee-friendly than what the wiggle people do. .

Mogul skiing is easier on your knees than alpine carving. Less extreme angulation, and the motion is natural (up and down). The only time knee injuries usually occur in the bumps are when you're way out of control, or screw up a landing after a jump.

Greg

Staff member
I think the ass noodling quick turn drills on flat terrain is great for people like you two (Greg and Mondeo) who are 20-30+ day a year skiers and are truly passionate and committed to being better bump skiers. While enjoying all types of skiing, it's quite obvious that bumps is where it's at for you two 95% of the time.

I wasn't advocating doing drills, per se, but I do think it's important to be able to make quick turns on the flats and with a relatively narrow stance and an upper body square to the fall line before hitting the bumps. Any "drills" I do now are just on the way to or from a bump run. Bump skiing is where it's at for me when skiing Sundown (roughly half my days), not necessarily elsewhere.

PSIA vs. WC bump technique is a debate that will go on forever. I try to emulate WC more, but I still do have a turny PSIA slow and controlled style. I've sorta blended the two. I'm not sure that was intentional, but that's where I'm at. I do feel WC is the more technical, but once you get it, the more efficient and better approach.

Buy this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Everything-Instructors-Never-About-Skiing/dp/142086159X

Dan's book is pretty much a WC approach, but it's an incredibly useful book and a quick easy read. I still read it through once every season.

Greg

Staff member
Mogul skiing is easier on your knees than alpine carving. Less extreme angulation, and the motion is natural (up and down). The only time knee injuries usually occur in the bumps are when you're way out of control, or screw up a landing after a jump.

I don't know about that. I think bump skiing can be very hard on your knees as you learn. Once you can hold a tight stance and A&E starts to click, it's less strenuous. My knees killed the first few years I really started focusing on bump skiing. And that's another point - it takes years of practice, or in BMM's case a few 100 day seasons. ;) You also have to commit a lot of time in the bumps to get good at it. You're not going to pick it up hitting the mogul field one or two times per outing. Once you reach a certain level though, it becomes addictive so it's not like you'll have to force yourself to go and ski the bumps.

2knees

you have the best resource available to you. your friend dhs. ski with him enough and you'll get better in a hurry. everyone subscribes to different learning and teaching methods but for me, there is no substitute for skiing with people who already can do it and do it at a high level.

tjf67

Any tips on getting better at skiing bumps?

Best way to learn to ski bumps is to ski bumps. When you think you are done. Do it again. 20 runs down a bump run and you will see improvement. If not take up chess

poconovfr

PSIA vs. WC bump technique is a debate that will go on forever.

PSIA = slow controlled moves; grace,finesse,calculated.

WC = Point,absorb and haul-ass!

I will go along with you guys on a lesson. Even for an experienced bumper it's good to have a technique evaluation done every once in a while.We all form bad habits.Ski bumps. If you want to gain speed in the race course you don't train in the terrain park.I didn't get really confident in bumps until I found this guy who can really rip and skied on his ass for a season. You have know choice but to get better or get back on the porch.