• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Burke - 12/17/2016

bdfreetuna

Woke up 5:00am after a few hours of tossing and turning. Good enough. My father, recent recipient of an early Christmas gift of new(used refurb demo) skis, was in on the plan along with my wife.

Drive up there sucked, as everyone knows who drove today. Imagine driving to Burke instead of southern VT, and then driving back in the same conditions but dark, and it was a long day. But the snow was piling up and the stoke level was high, alongside survival mode driving.

Got there at 9:41AM... add an extra 1:15 to the normal drive time... there was about 15 cars in the lower Sherburne parking lot. And 5" light fluffy snow and coming down heavy.

First run was Willoughby. It clicked right away how good this day was going to be. The right side of the trail where the grooming tractor hadn't hit was deep. Felt bottomless, this was surfer snow. The middle of the trail that was probably groomed last night was great too.

I'll try to make this short. Run of the day (trail) was East Bowl. Fluffy bumps. Just amazing, pointing the skis down the trail and busting through powder and popping off bumps, big arcing turns. Demolishing powder.

Trees were in play. There was some rock/frozen ground to watch out for but it was buried in 18-36" of snow for the most part, and mostly avoidable by pointing the skis downhill and surfing the powder rather than trying to carve steep rocky stuff. This is kind of a new concept for my wife so she had some trouble here and took a number of spills in the pow, but she did hang after I gave her a few lessons in surfing pow on various Totally. Untracked. Runs.

There were huge, long sections that were untouched and this was such good snow. Light blower on the top, a little denser below that, and in most places good base. Boot to knee deep.

Best woods were Dixieland and Cave Man. Best December skiing I can remember. Total new snow over the course of the day: 8"

20161217_132829_HDR.jpg20161217_132833_HDR.jpg20161217_133117_HDR.jpg20161217_143829_HDR.jpg20161217_144248_HDR.jpg

bdfreetuna

I was determined to score with this 1 day window of powder skiing. For one thing, I'm probably not heading out again until maybe New Year Day at the earliest. And for another thing Tin has been taunting us all by making it look like he's got his own personal snow cloud. Happy with the results.