• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Burke area lodging?

abc

I'm not too familiar with Burke area and not sure where to start looking. Are there lodging at decent price? Say, under $100 (weekend) and not a dump?

Last edited:

dougiestares

The Comfort Inn in St. Johnsbury does a Burke lift ticket deal. I think it is $189 per night for two people lift tickets and breakfast included.

xwhaler

We are staying at the Comfort Inn in a couple wks. Great deal thru RSNE card If u already have tix

abc

The Comfort Inn in St. Johnsbury does a Burke lift ticket deal. I think it is $189 per night for two people lift tickets and breakfast included.
Just one person, and have discount for ticket already.

I've only tried Burke once and hadn't been back, partly because I've not been able to find anything to put my head down at the end of the day...

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I would take them in this order
Comfort Inn - A bed, shower and all the chain hotel accoutruments
Lynburke Motel - a bed and a shower updated
Lyndon Motor lodge - a really cheap bed and shower, really old-style

not been in any of the others. I'd go back to Lyn burke. It's also closest one to the mountain. The restaurant across the street is pretty decent too.

crank

Call the mountain and ask about the Carriage house. It's sort of a mini motel very close to the lodges. Not sure if they are still renting there, I think they have 3 rooms. Not a palace but clean and comfortable enough. They put me up there when my band played an event at Burke and then let me rent it last winter for a weekend for very reasonable rates. Not sure if it is still available with the whole Q thing.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Comfort Inn is going to be the best "sure" option when it comes to cleanliness and comfort. I would not consider anything else in St. Jay, let alone spend much time in St. Jay for that matter.

There are options in Littleton, but that is a hike.

Lots of B&B's in the area, but they are pricey.

LynBurke: will be full of snowmobiles, so be forewarned. And it is a bit dated.

SKI-3PO

The Lyndon Motor lodge is good for the price. Small, but that shouldn't matter for 1 person. Right off the highway.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
The Lyndon Motor lodge is good for the price. Small, but that shouldn't matter for 1 person. Right off the highway.
I think you stayed there last year correct? Not a fancy place but it is comfortable from what I've heard. The Colonnade Inn on the other side of the Interstate is ok as well. Definitely not fancy or anything.

dmw

I stayed at the Colonade Motel right off the highway last year, cheap but adequate.

SKI-3PO

I think you stayed there last year correct? Not a fancy place but it is comfortable from what I've heard. The Colonnade Inn on the other side of the Interstate is ok as well. Definitely not fancy or anything.

Yep, stayed there by myself last year. Also was there a few years ago with my family. A bit small for that, but it worked.

MommaBear

We are staying at the Comfort Inn in a couple wks. Great deal thru RSNE card If u already have tix

What is RSNE card? We stay at the Comfort Inn and usually already have tickets thru our ski club. But always looking to save more...

xwhaler

What is RSNE card? We stay at the Comfort Inn and usually already have tickets thru our ski club. But always looking to save more...

Ride and Ski NE card. Rideandskine.com
Mentioned the card when I called for reservation and it worked out to $120 after taxes....includes breakfast. Heading up this wknd

thetrailboss

Staff member
I'd suggest Comfort Inn over pretty much anything else in Lyndonville or St. Jay...except for a few B&B's.

abc

Ride and Ski NE card. Rideandskine.com
Mentioned the card when I called for reservation and it worked out to $120 after taxes....includes breakfast. Heading up this wknd
The Comfort Inn at St Johnsbury is nice. Huge room, pool/hot tub/hot breakfast... But I don't need it THAT nice. In comparison, I'm usually able to find something less than that in most other areas. Example, Rutland Comfort Inn, ~90+tax, Waterbury Best Western, < $100(+tax). (we're talking about 1/2 hr from the mountain)

It ended up negating the cheap lift ticket of Burke because I have to paying $10~20 more on lodging.

What a hotel/motel to me, is a clean bathroom and a comfy bed. Surprisingly many places fail one or the other!

BTW, following the forum's collective wisdom, I found Golden Lion Inn at the foot of Sugarbush Access Rd. Clean, comfortable, no nonsense place relatively inexpensive ($85 with full breakfast for a single, mid-week). Oh, even the jacuzzi works!

thetrailboss

Staff member
The Comfort Inn at St Johnsbury is nice. Huge room, pool/hot tub/hot breakfast... But I don't need it THAT nice. In comparison, I'm usually able to find something less than that in most other areas. Example, Rutland Comfort Inn, ~90+tax, Waterbury Best Western, < $100(+tax). (we're talking about 1/2 hr from the mountain)

It ended up negating the cheap lift ticket of Burke because I have to paying $10~20 more on lodging.

What a hotel/motel to me, is a clean bathroom and a comfy bed. Surprisingly many places fail one or the other!

BTW, following the forum's collective wisdom, I found Golden Lion Inn at the foot of Sugarbush Access Rd. Clean, comfortable, no nonsense place relatively inexpensive ($85 with full breakfast for a single, mid-week). Oh, even the jacuzzi works!

The Golden Lion is nice. The owners are AZers and used to offer a discount.

And the lack of good reasonably priced accommodations is a problem with Burke.

xwhaler

Any good eats in St J? Depending on how tired we are and how my son is doing we may go out or just get a pizza delivered to the hotel.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Any good eats in St J? Depending on how tired we are and how my son is doing we may go out or just get a pizza delivered to the hotel.

Decent restaurants in Lyndonville depending on what you are feeling.

* Valleyview: a good, decent, family restaurant with a huge menu. Nice place and not too expensive.
* Ms. Lyndonville Diner: classic diner with breakfast all day.
* Trout River Brewery: pizza nights on Friday and Saturday but be ready for crowds.
* Hoagie's: damn good pizza IMHO. Laid back and good location.

Other folks will have other places in mind. The Pub Outback is hit or miss...the last time I went it was not good at all. And, unfortunately, one of the best places, the River Garden Café, is no more.

St Jay is, well, a hole unfortunately. They have the fast food options (Pizza Hut, KFC, Taco Bell, McDonalds) but a lot of the places I used to go to are either gone or have switched hands. I can't really think of anything I'd recommend there.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Restaurants –
Bailiwick's $$$: good bar in there too
Cantina Di Gerardo $$: Good real Italian food. It is a small place right downtown. Sometime service is lacking if there is only one waiter/waitress.

Pizza -
Ramunto’s Pizza (delivers and it is good)
St Johnsbury House of Pizza
Pizza Hut

xwhaler

Thanks guys. We've done Trout River before and agreed that it is excellent. Long waits to get food/get a table is not ideal with a 13 month old however.
Good to know Ramunto's delivers----I've been to their Lebanon NH location once and liked it.

I'll report back with what we ended up doing!