• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Burke ... March 7 2015 ... turned out to be a great day!

bdfreetuna

Finally pulled the trigger on using up these 2 Burke passes I've been holding on to. My Dad was game to go this weekend.

On the way up I got pulled over going 84mph by a Vermont State Trooper. This guy looked like a character right out of the movie Fargo. I was friendly with him as I could immediately tell he was "one of the good ones". Must have made a good impression because I got a warning and I was on my way.

It's about a solid 3 hour drive there. Maybe a little less without being pulled over. We were booted up by 10:00am. Oh well, sometimes that's how it goes.

First run was East Bowl. Let me preface: I haven't been to Burke since I was in high school. That's about 16 or 17 years ago. So I vaguely remember a little bit about the mountain, but most of what I knew prior to arrival was based on reading other folks trip reports on this forum.

So East Bowl. Nice run! Packed powder all the way. Great trail. I was tempted to duck into woods but we figured first run let's actually try and ski a full trail. That was probably the last time that happened. Oh wait, not true; we did a run all the way down Willougby later on. Again, firm and fast packed powder. Very few scratchy spots to be found on the trails, only in the most high trafficked areas would I even bother to put my guard up.

Woods:: First one I did was Dixieland. My father was still getting warmed up so he passed. Darn nice woods! There's like 3 steeper sections and the rest of it is just a long tree run down the majority of the mountain.

The woods were totally tracked out and bumped up. But in a much better way than Mt Ellen last weekend. This was mostly packed pow and occasionally on the steeper stuff the ruts would be scrapy. But it was a very predictable scenario and very agreeable to my favorite style of skiing which is basically a slowish and steady rhythm right down the fall line.

Burke is an overall challenging mountain but I didn't manage to find anything overly challenging. That said, I did not ski Power Line and it looked to be semi-tough from what I could see. The most difficult woods I skied were Scooby Doo and that was a single Black. It seems like the black and single black ratings were kind of arbitrary. There were even a couple blue woods that should have been blacks. As for the double blacks... well there really wasn't a full degree of difference between them and the single blacks.

The mountain has a pretty consistent pitch I guess. But I found the woods consistently enjoyable and basically skied them all day having a great time checking them all out.

Skied till 4:00 so made up for the late start. My back is killing me now !

Birches
Birches.jpg

Cave Man
CaveMan.jpg

Dixieland
Dixieland.jpg

No idea what this thing is called.
Fremefrenofrog.jpg

That's me.
Me.jpg

VTKilarney

Burke skied great today. Agreed that the mountain has pretty consistent pitch. There isn't much difference between the blacks and blues, and the designations can definitely seem arbitrary. They were reporting 100% open but it looked like Lower Powerline was closed. But that's the only trail that appeared to be roped off. I'm not sure that we got the snow that southern and central Vermont got, but things have held up nicely.

Savemeasammy

I skied scooby doo with my wife and 7 year old. The trail name makes it sound pretty benign. My wife wasn't happy...!

Oops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deadheadskier

Staff member
it looked like Lower Powerline was closed. .

* reserved

It was roped off in January with plenty of coverage. Best snow on the hill that day. I bet it's fine now. Maybe someone has hurt themselves on one of the drops and ski patrol doesn't want folks skiing it?

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Nice. My schedule suddenly cleared up yesterday and I made it to the mountain around 12:30. Alternated tree runs, bump runs, and Tunaspeed© cruiser runs. I found very similar conditions to Tuna. It is amazing there hasn't been a significant snowfall in over two weeks and pretty much everything is still skiing great. That said, Burke could really use a 6-8" refresh. The steep sections of Jungle are starting to get a bit rocky and I don't think Ledges is going to last long this year (although it skied the best it has in years since there is no icy man-made base).
Most of the bump trails are the best I've seen them in years. Dougs/Lower Dougs was excellent :thumbup:. On the other hand, Wilderness may have large soft bumps but there is no rhythm to them and they are separated by large patches of icy hardpack :thumbdown:.

Went right to the bell at 4:00.

VTKilarney

I hit both Ledges and Wilderness this weekend. Wilderness has been icy pretty much all winter. Ledges skied pretty well.

I've noticed that if there is any stump or rock showing, they have really started to attract the sun's warmth. A lot more rocks and stumps were poking through as the weekend went on. I even saw the top of some grass on Little Dipper, which was not a welcome sight.

I agree that a refresh would make a huge difference, but I'm also impressed that things have held up as well as they have. It looks like things are going to soften up this week. I think that this week is going to be a real turning point from winter to spring conditions.

xwhaler

No idea what this thing is called.
attachment.php
Thats the Willoughby Gap

bdfreetuna

Ah thank you!

Unless this week turns into a real burner (should be okay up there..) Burke is going to have a great spring. But agreed another 8" or 12" on top of what they have now could make it just about as good as it gets.