• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Burke Mountain: Jan. 12, 2007 (Burke-a-polooza Recon Day)

thetrailboss

Staff member
Date: January 12, 2007

2006 Trip Report #: 22

Resort: Burke Mountain

Conditions: MG/SM/FG

Weather: Cool and cloudy. Temps in the low 30’s. Fog and light snow at the top.

Trip Report: Well, I managed to get out of school and head north for the weekend. This was Day One of “Burke-a-polooza,” and it was the recon day to get a sense of conditions for the weekend. So I was not planning on doing much for runs, but I did get six good runs in from 2:45 until close.

I pulled in to MidBurke and was greeted with signs announcing that the cafeteria and retail shop was closed midweek. :( I fear that some people might have lost their jobs due to this bad weather. My advice: get out there and support your local hill. As I booted up and stepped into the skis, I noticed that the groomers were working OT on Warren’s Way and Dashney. A closer look revealed that Burke did not just buy a new groomer, they were also demoing a brand new WINCH CAT :eek: :eek: :beer: This is Burke’s FIRST by the way! She looked nice. Tons of new snow on Warren’s…they were getting it spread out.

First run was down Willoughby to Bear Den and Lower Fox’s. In good shape. Upper Willoughby and Lower Fox’s had some thin spots that could be dodged. Some minor death cookie action. Next run was down a slick Shoot, which had some thin spots as well. The connector to Big Dipper was in good shape. Big Dipper was almost edge to edge…and was one of two “runs of the day.” Soft snow…great cover.

From here I scouted out the lower mountain. High Meadows had some snowmaking on it. I did one run down Bunker Hill and it was in good shape….slick just above the headwall. They’ve made a lot of snow….they essentially had to reopen everything after Saturday. Impressive.

I did two closing runs on the summit—one down Willoughby. Lower Willoughby was awesome. Nice soft snow. Had to do one more run down Dipper and found more great snow…even some morning grooming still!

Now have to get ready for 8am chair tomorrow.