• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon 12/23/12

Angus

arrived around 9:30ish to see the peabody quad go out of commission. the lift would come back on line early in PM. I was told it was off line for most of saturday.

took the "other lift" from the base up, asked the ski patrol if we could hike up to the profile lift which was open for the first time this season and was told "no" but we could take a bus over to the tram that was going to be opened.

got on first tram of season after a 30-45 minute wait while Ops conducted their beginning of the season inspection(???). Two runs from summit open was upper canyon which had huge whales and skylight which had whales but offered better skiing. basically lapped skylight until 3PM (20 runs maybe). when I skied down to the base, I found the bottom half of mountain was pretty sketchy.

so my trail report consist of: loose powder over frozen hardpack which by end of day was piles of snow between boilerplate/frozen hardpack.

not a whole lot of terrain open, the passholders that I spoke to all seemed pretty happy though. very little natural snow. once they groom and push the whales around, the skiing should be nice on upper canyon and skylight.

three days so far...ahead of schedule for me.

Puck it

arrived around 9:30ish to see the peabody quad go out of commission. the lift would come back on line early in PM. I was told it was off line for most of saturday.

took the "other lift" from the base up, asked the ski patrol if we could hike up to the profile lift which was open for the first time this season and was told "no" but we could take a bus over to the tram that was going to be opened.

got on first tram of season after a 30-45 minute wait while Ops conducted their beginning of the season inspection(???). Two runs from summit open was upper canyon which had huge whales and skylight which had whales but offered better skiing. basically lapped skylight until 3PM (20 runs maybe). when I skied down to the base, I found the bottom half of mountain was pretty sketchy.

so my trail report consist of: loose powder over frozen hardpack which by end of day was piles of snow between boilerplate/frozen hardpack.

not a whole lot of terrain open, the passholders that I spoke to all seemed pretty happy though. very little natural snow. once they groom and push the whales around, the skiing should be nice on upper canyon and skylight.

three days so far...ahead of schedule for me.

This is one pass holder not happy with the trail roll out. I do not want hear it do to the inversion. Look at Loon.

Angus

This is one pass holder not happy with the trail roll out. I do not want hear it do to the inversion. Look at Loon.

I think the running of the Tram provided ammunition to those who advocate opening the top of the mountain first. At or above the top of the peabody quad, it is definitely a different climate.

the issue today was too many people without enough skiing skills coming down two windy trails with undulating snow coverage.

Puck it

One of the reasons that I left. I saw a kid in jeans flying down Gary's out of control and enough.

bdfreetuna

Hey, some people like to ski 60mph without trying to hold an edge ;)

I have never been to Cannon.. don't get much skiing done in NH for starters. I would like to this season. Def gonna wait for prime season to see what all the fuss is about, though.

Puck it

I have never been to Cannon.. don't get much skiing done in NH for starters. I would like to this season. Def gonna wait for prime season to see what all the fuss is about, though.

We can race the Tram. I will break out the GS skis for it.

ScottySkis

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

It's the only mountain in NH that I skied once a couple years ago in bad conditions and I still enjoyed very much, also mountains around it reminds me of SLC.:)

bdfreetuna

We can race the Tram. I will break out the GS skis for it.

I'm pretty sure I can ski faster than a Tram ;)

Actually I don't know if that's even true. I like to stop and rest and catch my breath. Make a little snowman. Have a picnic. Pray to Mecca. Serve tea and biscuits to the squirrels.

Puck it

I'm pretty sure I can ski faster than a Tram ;)

Actually I don't know if that's even true. I like to stop and rest and catch my breath. Make a little snowman. Have a picnic. Pray to Mecca. Serve tea and biscuits to the squirrels.

The race is not to do that. It is to get off ketchup(aka red box) an catch mustard(aka yellow box).