• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon Lover's Thread

bizarrefaith

You can't cut over to Gremlin above Peabody, that opening is roped off now - you have to go all the way down and take the left before the drop off to Eagle Cliff.

Smellytele

You have to ski almost to the bottom of Eagle cliff then cut over. The cutover from Lower Cannon to Gremlin is blocked by the park that was built on the left against the trees that separate the 2.

thetrailboss

Staff member
A blast from the past!

Bumpsis

I'm really looking forward to skiing Cannon tomorrow. Tickets bought, skis in the car, masks in the jacket. I just hope that Boston's morning traffic isn't too bad.

xlr8r

I'm headed to Cannon Saturday. Really looking forward to it, its been 7 years or so since I've last been to there. Curious to see what Mittersill is like now with Snowmaking over there. So far this year my skiing has contained to been to MA and Southern NH. Nice to finally go to a proper big mountain this year.

Zand

I can't believe Cannon doesn't have any glades open. Would think if Loon is able to open some, Cannons elevational advantage would allow them to get theirs open, especially the three off the top.

Reactions: Los

bizarrefaith

Lol, just checked the trail report for tomorrow- Bypass says “icy - use caution”. Based on the rosey outlook the mountain report generally has, wondering exactly how bad a trail has to be for it to actually use the word icy.

Bumpsis

Conditions from Friday (1/22): yes, it was icy but so were other trails. But then, nothing new here, typical NE conditions. Hard packed, icy base with clumps of snow all over the place. Overall it was really quite decent but you had be careful. You just had watch where to make your turns and be ready for the edges to wash out. The trails off Zoomer had the most consistent loose snow cover but upper mountain skied well too. No lines.
Natural cover trails are thin so that's why glades are not open - no mystery here.

Bumpsis

Wow! That picture is just awesome. I got pinned down by work but in my gut I knew that Cannon is the place to be today. Is it crowded??

Zand

Another spoiler alert...at 10:30 I was the first soul into Global Warming Glade. At 10:45 I was the first into Lost Boys Glade.

I actually did wait in a small line first thing. Peabody was having fits so the entire base area skated to Mittersill but after that, no crowds at all.

snoseek

I agree. Place is skiing real nice

Attachments

• 20210204_102418.jpg
    20210204_102418.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 12

bizarrefaith

How solid are the woods? Did they get a solid base down or is it going to get ugly in there quickly?

HomaWong

Website
anythingbutawedding.com
I've been going up to Cannon Mtn weekly and skiing with my wife. This is fine, but I need to get some days in with real skiers. Are there any NH people out there interested in joining up? I drve from Windham to Franconia right up I93 and can provide free transportation for anyone along the way. (Max-2 riders with skis in the car.) I usually ski with my wife on Tuesday or Wednesday. Other weekdays are open; I'm retired and skiing on the NH Geezer pass.

HomaWong

Website
anythingbutawedding.com
I cant speak for weekends but midweek has been pretty mellow except when there was race training on the front 5. With Mittersill open thats not a factor now. Tuesdays and Thursdays have been quieter if anything.

I do know they are letting NH residents buy a 45 dollar ticket the next 2 wednesdays so that could bring some midweek volume.
I was there Wednesday this week and I can confirm that the $45 NH offer brought in a bigger crowd. Still, the mountain was not overly croweded and the main, lower Peabody parking lot was about 80% full. The overflow lot down the hill was empty. Poor visibility, due to a low ceiling and freezing rain, had a lot of the crowd bailing out after lunchtime and the liftline of the Peabody lift, which had been about 15 minutes, disappeard - along with all the terrain LoL.

snoseek

How solid are the woods? Did they get a solid base down or is it going to get ugly in there quickly?
Upper trees seemed fairly deep but front 5 trees will get thin quick. I hit stuff today only because it wasn't tracked much. Overall the base is building but snow quality is excellent with no real ice layer on natural stuff. Hardscrabble was my rotd honestly