• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon shoutout

SIKSKIER

I've been pretty hard on Cannon lately and for good reason.I now will report the opposite.This past weekend had some fantastic classic Cannon high speed groomer conditions.Big blue sunny skys(when the snowmaking cloud wasn't in the way),no wind and not a liftline anywhere made for my best weekend this year by far at Cannon.Ofcourse it seems as soon as the skiing gtes great,something comes along and screws it up like this weeks warm up.Crossed fingers.

Puck it

I've been pretty hard on Cannon lately and for good reason.I now will report the opposite.This past weekend had some fantastic classic Cannon high speed groomer conditions.Big blue sunny skys(when the snowmaking cloud wasn't in the way),no wind and not a liftline anywhere made for my best weekend this year by far at Cannon.Ofcourse it seems as soon as the skiing gtes great,something comes along and screws it up like this weeks warm up.Crossed fingers.

I agree, Sunday was very good. I let the skis run all day. Mandatory GS turns were the normal all day especially on Avy and Paulie's. Rocket was sweet, too. The summit runs were empty since it was -12 at the start. We just need to the trees to come in to play now. As bad as last year was, we skiing the summit glades in Jan. at least.

witch hobble

It was good out there. I had very good days Friday and Sunday.

But this rain, followed by cold temps starting Thursday night, is gonna be a buzz kill.

Puck it

They are reporting 5-6". I thought about it last night but had a con call this morning.

Any bets when the whales on Zoomer get groomed out? It is going on 5 days now, still draining. Profile whales?

Cheese

Any bets when the whales on Zoomer get groomed out? It is going on 5 days now, still draining. Profile whales?

I'll bet they switch from draining to snow preservation and therefore leave the piles a while longer.

Cannonball

Yeah, and they are filling in South Bowl nicely with their snowmaking placement. I could see their snowmaking cloud spraying the back side all the way from Lincoln.

Puck it

Yeah, and they are filling in South Bowl nicely with their snowmaking placement. I could see their snowmaking cloud spraying the back side all the way from Lincoln.

Any idea when it may open and how long the whales will need to drain?

Cannonball

I'm not completely sure what the difference is between:
I could see their snowmaking cloud

and:
Actually,that was really mostly just the fog/cloud from the guns.
??

But regardless, I was just being silly. Conditions were decent. Everyone riding the Cannonball was just cracking up about the way they had the guns pointed with the wind blowing straight up...and over...Profile. At least it was all against your back while on the chair. Felt much better than it looked.

Cannonball

It was great Sat-Sun Feb 2-3. Profile was massive whales with bumplets on top.

It's all relative I guess. "Great" was never a word that came into my mind this weekend. But at least there was a snow-like substance to slide on, lifts spinning, and surprisingly limited crowds considering the SB 2-fer.

LiquidFeet

Well, no trees. So for tree-skiers not great. But there was snow on most flat surfaces, upon which to glide. Bumps are glossy, so again not great. I spoke from temporary enthusiasm.

Puck it

For sure. Making turns is "great" any day.

Well, my tub is out and down to the studs since I made the call not to drive up. Sounds like it was the right call. If I can't ski then a sawzall and demo is the next best thing.

Cannonball

Some of the top freestyle skiers are now completing 1440's. That's 4 full rotations. But Cannon's marketing machine has set the bar even higher when it comes to spinning. From today:
"It was a mini powder day today as 2" of new snow landed in the higher elevations, accompanied by boot deep snow drifts like this one. There's more snow in the forecast and Cannon's slopes are in great shape right now. Ride the frozen wave at Cannon!"

I don't even know where to start.....