• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon Upper Mountain Snowmaking

Brad J

What is really irritating about these situations are the lack of info from ManagementThey have said nothing at wildcat all the info comes from employee, who many know you. I heard Wildcat is not going to blow snow this winter above what they can reach from the pump station near the top of the tomcat lift. Attitash has a problem with the triple that they hoped to be repaired by this weekend. So I think we need to sit the management down and explain that bad news is better than no news. I hope the have the guts to show up at the Wildcat /Attitash pass holder party and not just send out some designated spoke person to take the heat.

Puck it

From Facebook.

no worries, valid question as we did talk about moving up top a while back. We meet every day @ 3pm for "Snowplan" to talk about and agonize over what,when,how,where and for how long. With a forecasted warm up for this weekend, we made an early decision to stay put down low and hammer it vs. start up top, take away from down low and maybe not get the top. Instead of "dust 'n' run" we prefer "bury it 'n' be done". That's what we did and will go high on Monday to get you the top ASAP. In the mean time we hope you enjoy all of the Front and a bunch of the middle.

They knew about this warm up two weeks ago. Communication to the brethren would be nice instead of leading us on.

SIKSKIER

Thanks Puck,was just going to post that reply.In a previous post they said they HAD to make a shift in plan where this reply sounds different.I call bs,something happened last week with that air line imo.Whatever,I've been watching this happen for 40 years and I keep coming back for more.

Puck it

They seem to be answering so I am going to keep poking them on Facebook.

Facebook may be good for something after all.

SIKSKIER

As I look at Cannons 3 closest competiors tonite,its the same old story.

Waterville almost double the acreage at 128
Loon almost triple at 212
BW at over 3 times at 262
Cannon 77

Quietman

Considering the current conditions, with inversions and upper level melt downs, one might call their strategy brilliant. Monday's conditions will confirm if they were lucky or wrong. I won't guess on the lucky vs. brilliant equation until I can rule out wrong..

Puck it

I wonder who their weatherman is. He should go national with that kind forecasting skills.

Tin

I wonder if the responses were not what they wanted out there. I cannot see any posts by others on their FB site or a discussion about not blowing up top.

SIKSKIER

I wonder if the responses were not what they wanted out there. I cannot see any posts by others on their FB site or a discussion about not blowing up top.

Yes but I can read between the lines.The last few days they mention heading to the top about 4 times in every snow report.
Here's todays mentioning it 5 times:
Right back to it folks - snowmaking will fire up at some point today on the summit along with spot guns around the mountain for touch ups. Top-to-bottom skiing/riding is not far off.

Snowmakers will fire up sometime today on Tramway, Upper Cannon, Brookside, and spot guns where need be for touch ups.

Temps in the 30s today will keep surface conditions soft and edgable, while snowmakers are waiting for the mercury to drop below freezing and fire up on Tramway & Upper Cannon...looks like temps will be copasetic this afternoon. Top-to-bottom skiing/riding is not far off!

It looks like snowmaking will be able to fire up this afternoon on the upper mountain...specifically Upper Cannon & Tramway. They'll also have spot guns going around the mountain to do some touch ups, as well as on Brookside. We're tentatively shooting for top-to-bottom skiing/riding towards the end of this week

Overnight temps through Thursday look cold, cold, cold, so it's possible we could be skiing/riding off the summit as early as Thursday under the guns, but Friday or Saturday is more of a safe bet.

This looks to me like they have clearly been taking some heat.As I said before,they are still of the very few if any in NE that are not skiing from the top.

Last edited:

Puck it

Yes but I can read between the lines.The last few days they mention heading to the top about 4 times in every snow report.
Here's todays:
Right back to it folks - snowmaking will fire up at some point today on the summit along with spot guns around the mountain for touch ups. Top-to-bottom skiing/riding is not far off.

Snowmakers will fire up sometime today on Tramway, Upper Cannon, Brookside, and spot guns where need be for touch ups.

Temps in the 30s today will keep surface conditions soft and edgable, while snowmakers are waiting for the mercury to drop below freezing and fire up on Tramway & Upper Cannon...looks like temps will be copasetic this afternoon. Top-to-bottom skiing/riding is not far off!

It looks like snowmaking will be able to fire up this afternoon on the upper mountain...specifically Upper Cannon & Tramway. They'll also have spot guns going around the mountain to do some touch ups, as well as on Brookside. We're tentatively shooting for top-to-bottom skiing/riding towards the end of this week

This looks to me like they have clearly been taking some heat.As I said before,they are still of the very few if any in NE that are not skiing from the top.

I am am sure they have taken heat for it given the temps and that summit skiing is usually a given before Xmas.

Tin

Cannon and Wildcat frustrate me beyond belief. They are a couple of amazing mountains but for someone like me who is a 3.5-4 hour tip away they are not worth skiing until later in the year the past few seasons. Just wish they could get their snowmaking acts together (especially after the bragging about new guns).

yeggous

Cannon and Wildcat frustrate me beyond belief. They are a couple of amazing mountains but for someone like me who is a 3.5-4 hour tip away they are not worth skiing until later in the year the past few seasons. Just wish they could get their snowmaking acts together (especially after the bragging about new guns).

Welcome to the club. The problem is the characteristics that make them such awesome mountains to ski also make them not very profitable. They are not family-friendly and don't have luxurious slope-side amenities and accommodations. Unfortunately that is where the profit is.

Cannonball

I hear what you are saying, but I don't exactly agree either. Nobody loves Cannon and Wildcat for their groomed, snowmaking trails. So, by nature these mountains are only at their best later in the season when natural snow has filled in the goods. But, yes they could be better at managing their snowmaking.

Tin

Nobody loves Cannon and Wildcat for their groomed, snowmaking trails. So, by nature these mountains are only at their best later in the season when natural snow has filled in the goods. But, yes they could be better at managing their snowmaking.

Good point

xlr8r

Looking at their summit webcam pointed at the cannonball quad is just depressing.