• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Carters 12/22/09

skibum9995

Summits: Carter Dome, South Carter, Middle Carter
Trails: 19 Mile Brook, Carter Dome, Carter Moriah
Distance: 14.2 mi
Elevation: 4600 ft

First full day of winter, time to start bagging peaks again. The plan for the day was to hit the Carters from 19 Mile Brook. I bare-booted until part way up the Carter Dome Trail. Probably could have made it further, but I opted for snowshoes. There are 2 blowdowns on this section, but both are easily ducked under. At Zeta Pass I took a right and headed for Carter Dome, stopping for some lunch at the Carter Moriah junction. The trail was mostly consolidated snow with some drifting. I counted 5 people behind me so it should be packed out pretty good now. I had planned on hitting Mt Height on the way back, but the views disappeared shortly before the summit, so I didn't bother, I've seen clouds before. Back at Zeta Pass I made my way along the well packed trail to South Carter, then on to Middle Carter where the trail was not as well packed, but nothing that required breaking. A group of 4 passed me in the opposite direction which help pack it out better. The hike out was uneventful, but when I got back to the parking lot I noticed piles of snow around the wheels and drivers door of my car. It turns out one of my lovely co-workers noticed my car and decided to move some snow around the parking lot.

22760_220438791629_693811629_3744719_3072829_n.jpg