• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Case Mt 07/23/09

MR. evil

Met up with Paul and the Line St lot around 5:30 and we were on the trails by 5:40. We got a little lost making our way up tp the summit, but we ran into a hiker (several times) that just happened to be a former co-worker of Pauls. She was nice enough to point us in the right direction (several times). Paul also lost a screw to his pedal cleats and a very nice rider had spares (who has spare cleat screws) and was kind enough to give one to Paul. Once at the summit I pretty much new were i was going. We hit the yellow trail for a short bit, the hung a right onto the blue trail to the red trail and back to the cars. Total loop was about 6 miles, but it was a very tough 6 miles. The only trails I have ridden that are rockier than the blue trail and red trail at Case are some trails at Batchelor St in the Holyoke Range. For those familiar with Stone Rd at Nass, imagine something just a little less rocky than the Tunxis rock garden....only miles of it.

Considering the wet rocky trails we rode at a decent pace, not to fast, not to slow, just right. Not to come off as condisending, but I have to say that Paul handled the rocky gnar MUCH better than I expected. For a guy that doesn't ride often, he looked like a rider that has been riding really technical trails for years. There was only one really technical climb / section that I was able to make that Paul spun out on. Had it been drier or had he lowered his tire pressure 0.125psi he would have made that climb. It would have also helped if he was in a 2:2 gear ratio instead if a 1:6.............rookies

Even with the rain the trails were really dry with no standing water and only a couple small mud patches. Looking forward to riding with Paul more. Next time he is going to give me a tour of Mesh.

Hot Pockets

Paul

Definitely need to hit the Mesh, I still need to get on up to B-Street first, though. Maybe this coming Wed? Unless Jeffe wants to get some RAW action in G-Town,

You can afford to be a bit condescending Tim, privilege of youth. Not to make excuses, but I would've opened it up a bit more if I hadn't been using a baseball cap for a brain-bucket. (Note to self, check next time BEFORE leaving the house) Yeah, that and the cleat made for Paul having some tefnifical difficulties. Other than those though, everything was cool. Let's not forget the bridges that I made where you got hung-up ;-)

Great place to ride, Similar terrain to the Mesh (they're practically connected) but the trails themselves are very different. It rocks having this kind of diversity within 5 miles.

Company was great as well, Tim's a hell of a guy to ride with, always seems to be able to keep his pace to those he's with, even a huffinandpuffin old fart.

Hot Pocket tours are extra.

MR. evil

Definitely need to hit the Mesh, I still need to get on up to B-Street first, though. Maybe this coming Wed? Unless Jeffe wants to get some RAW action in G-Town,

You can afford to be a bit condescending Tim, privilege of youth. Not to make excuses, but I would've opened it up a bit more if I hadn't been using a baseball cap for a brain-bucket. (Note to self, check next time BEFORE leaving the house) Yeah, that and the cleat made for Paul having some tefnifical difficulties. Other than those though, everything was cool. Let's not forget the bridges that I made where you got hung-up ;-)

Great place to ride, Similar terrain to the Mesh (they're practically connected) but the trails themselves are very different. It rocks having this kind of diversity within 5 miles.

Company was great as well, Tim's a hell of a guy to ride with, always seems to be able to keep his pace to those he's with, even a huffinandpuffin old fart.

Hot Pocket tours are extra.

Hey, you promised to never mention that bridge...WTF. No more HotPockets for you!

Helmets are good, but I honestly don't think we could have ridden much faster helmet or no helmet. It was a bit slick, and you need to be F'g superman to ride fast when you constantly bouncing from rock to rock like a freakin pin ball. I will definatly give you the tour-de-Bstreet some day. But its not the best option for a RAW for either of us. That will be a weekend ride. I am up for exploring the other options in your neck of the woods for future RAWS. The area is only 15 minutes from my office.

Next time we need to have some post ride beers handy.......no swag beer allowed! Seeing how your the tour guide next time I will supply the beer, and I am bringing my talking Homer Simpson Bottle opener.............Hmmmmmmm Beer

Paul

Hey, you promised to never mention that bridge...WTF. No more HotPockets for you!

Helmets are good, but I honestly don't think we could have ridden much faster helmet or no helmet. It was a bit slick, and you need to be F'g superman to ride fast when you constantly bouncing from rock to rock like a freakin pin ball. I will definatly give you the tour-de-Bstreet some day. But its not the best option for a RAW for either of us. That will be a weekend ride. I am up for exploring the other options in your neck of the woods for future RAWS. The area is only 15 minutes from my office.

Next time we need to have some post ride beers handy.......no swag beer allowed! Seeing how your the tour guide next time I will supply the beer, and I am bringing my talking Homer Simpson Bottle opener.............Hmmmmmmm Beer

Deal.

Not saying I would've been faster wearing a helmet, just a bit more confident. Probably all in my head. (Get it? Funny!) Gonna hafta figure out what the drag coefficient of a full face vs regular vs backwards ball cap is. I might be able to shave a few newton meters of force off of my pedal stroke enabling a better time on climbs.

MR. evil

Gonna hafta figure out what the drag coefficient of a full face vs regular vs backwards ball cap is. I might be able to shave a few newton meters of force off of my pedal stroke enabling a better time on climbs.

:blink:paging Marc.........:blink: