• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Catamount - 12/10/2006

Grassi21

Date(s) Skied: 12/10/2006

Resort or Ski Area: Catamount, Hillsdale, NY

Conditions: Groomed man made snow. Mid 40s, sunny, and little to no wind.

Trip Report: I rolled into the parking lot around 8 am. I was standing in line to get my picture taken for my season pass when this old guy jumps the line demanding lift tickets for the Yorktown High School Ski Team. I do a double-take and realize it was my gym teacher from YHS. We say hello briefly and then I head to the lodge to gear up. We had a chance to ride the lift together and catch up on things. It was a great way to start the day.

What a difference a day makes. The difference in my technique and confidence from this past Friday to today was night and day. I found my rhythm and was able to link some decent looking turns.

The menu at Catamount offered 3 lifts and 6 trails.

I started out on the Catamount double. From 8:30 to 9:30 I did laps on the Catamount trail and Onstage. After a few runs the snow softened up a bit and I hit my stride. With my confidence on the rise and the traffic off of the Catamount double increasing I headed over to the Glades double. Off the summit there was just one option, Upper Glade to Lower Glade to Onstage. I did laps of this combination from 9:30 to 10:30. I took a quick 15 minute break and went back to doing laps off the Glade double noon.

I heard some news about the new high speed quad. The lift is installed but hasn’t turned yet. From what I hear the manufacturer needs to come by and give it the stamp of approval before it can be used. Although the lift wasn’t needed today, it will be a nice addition when the rest of the trails off the summit are open.

Between the short 1 hr and 20 min drive to the Cat and the available terrain, I’m really happy with my decision to get a pass.

I’m certainly not a great photographer, but here are a few shots.

Base_Lodge.JPG

Catamount Trail
Catamount_Trail.JPG

Onstage
Onstage_II.JPG

Lower Glade
Lower_Glade.JPG

Last edited:

Greg

Staff member
It is a FGQ although I did do a double-take after reading your post and seeing that pic of the quad over Lower Glade/Chute. It almost looks like an HSQ grip if you looked quickly.

Nice pics! Catamount really begins to shine once they're 100% open and they get some natural. Nice to see they are already leaving an ungroomed section on Lower Glade. I'm toally up for a meet-up on a Mon-Thur (cheap lift tickets).

Newpylong

I am def. no lift expert, the chairs just looked real familiar (identical to the Q1 Quad at Jiminy) so I took a better look. Its funny to think about Catamount with any Quad! I am glad they are doing well....