• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Catskills trip advice

Old Duderino

I live in the NoVa/DC suburbs and a typical year consists of mostly daytrips to the local Snowtime resorts (Whitetail, Liberty, Roundtop) and a weeklong or longer if possible trip west. During the 12/13 and 13/14 seasons I managed to get in long weekend trips with the wife and kids to Killington/Pico and we had a great time both years.

I've been meaning to make it back to the NE since then but it just hasn't worked out the past couple of seasons but this year a western trip is out due to family health issues. Since I've done Killington/Pico I'd love to head further north and hit Sugarbush/Stowe/Jay but since I'd likely be going solo the drive would be about 9 hours from here (had a bad experience w/flights to the NE so I don't want to go that route).

It's about a 6 hour drive to the Catskills and I do have job flexibility to take weekdays off so I was thinking about driving up after a half day of work on a Wednesday and hitting Hunter on a Thursday, Windham on Friday and Plattekill on Saturday before driving home on Sunday. This would most likely be done on a last minute basis since I know better than to plan a NE trip more then two weeks out.

I figured Platty would be the best Saturday option since it has a reputation for being the least crowded of the three but don't know since I've never been there. I've heard Hunter is to be avoided at all costs on weekends and since Friday is the new Saturday I thought Windham might be a better option but I'm also kind of wondering if I'll find Windham too mellow and just as crowded as Hunter. Do any of these places have woods that might be in play if conditions are good?

I'll ski anywhere on or off piste (I would expect mostly on at these places) and might even mix it up by skiing Thurs and Sat but snowboarding cruisers on Friday. I like bumps but probably wouldn't spend all day on them unless the run/conditions for them are great. Any other resorts about the same distance from DC I should consider? Any and all input appreciated.

PS- forgot to mention what are good lodging recs? Doesn't have to be swanky but would prefer clean.

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
Windham if anything is always more Busy than Hunter these days. Hunter would be less busy this Sunday due to Super Bowl. Windham is too mellow for my liking....(Read Mostly runout). Check out the Washington Irving Inn near Hunter. Or the Hunter Inn.

watkin

Anyone know if the woods at platty are game on yet? Considering sunday

They are 100% open so if their natural trails are open there's a good chance the woods are too. Might be up there on Sunday as well, before they get r#$ed on next week.

KustyTheKlown

yea that was my thought, get it while they are at 100% bc who knows how long they will be able to sustain it, and I'm in a day trip posture anyway

asnowmobiler

Anyone know if the woods at platty are game on yet? Considering sunday

There wasn't much snow in the woods last Saturday. Some of the natural snow runs were skiable but very thin, most of the other runs were fantastic.

We never had more that a 2or3 chair wait, most of the time you could ski right on.

KustyTheKlown

just pulled the liftopia trigger, $35 with a promo code. I've skied some thin woods in my day.

happy to throw some business to platty, didn't get there at all last year

watkin

They also claim to have gotten 8" over the week, so I think conditions will be much better than last weekend.

Guess I just convinced myself to go too, c ya there.

KustyTheKlown

sweet. bright green pants, black jacket with green zipper, moment skis with pin up girl graphics. can't miss me.

nysskier

Belleayre in the Catskills is always a good bet. Great conditions and varied terrain. Great groomers, bumps and glades

tnt1234

OP - I've never been to Windham, but it has a reputation for being mellow. Belleayre has some really nice runs, often has bumps, and several nice glades.

Platty is a blast with good snow, as is Hunter....

I think we are heading to Bell. tomorrow. Would love to do Platty, but the extra drive time is daunting.

catskills

Hint about skiing Catskills. Watch for cold dry weather the night before where they have spent the night making a ton of man made snow. Also check out their trail report and where they are making snow. Skiing boot top man made powder can be almost as much fun as natural powder.

Nobody skis Hunter or Windham on weekends. Its too crowded. :argue:

Try all four ski areas in the Catskills and make up your own mind.

Plattekill is awesome after/during natural POW. I always laugh when it snows Friday night and you get out of your car in the Plattekill parking lot on Satruday morning. You start counting how many people are almost running to buy their tickets, saying the same thing. This is going to be awesome. I am so glad we did not go to Hunter. Reason of course: Hunter will be tracked out in a few hours. Plattekill will take days to get tracked out after a snow dump.

BenedictGomez

Was there today. Good conditions. The wood are a little thin down low, especially on one large berm off the triple. Don't know what it was called but watch out for that.

It was good. Much firmer than I thought it would be to be honest. Steep trails like Blockbuster, Freefall, Plunge, etc... were kindof icy at the tops, but then got really nice about 1/3 of the way down.

Didn't attempt any woods as they appeared pretty thin and I'm petrified of snow snakes in glades.

cdskier

Personally I'd replace Windham with Belleayre in your plan. Probably a tiny bit cheaper too. Belleayre has a nice variety of terrain.

KustyTheKlown

this is how you plattekill in thin woods with no regard for your bases

IMG_4485.jpg

Went direct to shop for a $75 base repair

KustyTheKlown

woods off of ridge run, and luciens line, won the day

on run6, I decided not to ski to the farm and hitch back up

BenedictGomez

That map's hard to follow, but are you skiing way off the map from Overlook and then hooking back to where the snow tubing is?